• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Title Problems with Missouri Dept. of Revenue

pigpen60

I just received a letter from the Missouri Dept. of Revenue telling me i have to take my deuce to a highway patrol inspection sight and have it inspected. Whats up with that? I had a SF-97 and I didnt have a problem with my last purchase through GSA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That stinks! I'm trying to figure out how to get my M35A2 plated since it is currently in restoration & is not licensed. The seller said he would send me the title so I could plate it here in AZ & take the plates with me, but I feel nervous completing the transaction without first seeing the truck in person & checking it out.

Let us know how things work out there in MO.

Lust4GreenSteel

I suspect that it is a VIN check. I was told that I had to have a vin check because I was transferring an out of state title (Wisconsin) to Missouri. My truck was not roadworthy, but I wanted to get it titled quickly. DMV led me to believe that I HAD to drive it to any vehicle inspection station or to the state police for the check. That was wrong. I contacted a local Highway Patrolman and he drove a mile off the highway to the farm and did the inspection for me. Stayed for about fifteen minutes visiting about the truck etc until more important duty called.

gottaluvit

I suspect that it is a VIN check. I was told that I had to have a vin check because I was transferring an out of state title (Wisconsin) to Missouri. My truck was not roadworthy, but I wanted to get it titled quickly. DMV led me to believe that I HAD to drive it to any vehicle inspection station or to the state police for the check. That was wrong. I contacted a local Highway Patrolman and he drove a mile off the highway to the farm and did the inspection for me. Stayed for about fifteen minutes visiting about the truck etc until more important duty called.
Nice. Here in Ohio we get out of state purchased vehicles vin verification, on every vehicle, at any car dealership. I have a friend who has a used car lot and the forms. They keep it real or their dealer's license is on the line.

painter paul

Just for your info, after years of getting MIL vehicles inspected in Nebraska in order to get a title from a SF97, I found out that the inspection is not required. I have said for years that it does not make sense to have law inforcement run the Vin thru the NCIC and NCIS crime databases to see if they get a hit because the military doesn't input info about theft, etc into those databases.

daytonatrbo

Just for your info, after years of getting MIL vehicles inspected in Nebraska in order to get a title from a SF97, I found out that the inspection is not required. I have said for years that it does not make sense to have law inforcement run the Vin thru the NCIC and NCIS crime databases to see if they get a hit because the military doesn't input info about theft, etc into those databases.
Happy to say that in my state they only run it through the "911" system. Any MV comes back blank just the same.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As was said earlier I would suspect its the different format VIN that is causing the inspection, I had a trailer 105A2 that the DMV deemed worthy of an inspection and they sent out a Hwy Patrol officer and all he did was look at the SN on the trailer and all was good, but I did not have to pull the trailer anywhere!
KK

Lust4GreenSteel

It is my understanding that Missouri requires a VIN check on ANY vehicle(not just former military vehicles) that is being title transferred from another state. The purpose of the check is to verify that the vehicle has the VIN shown on the out of state title. If one is buying a Missouri titled vehicle, the inspection is NOT required. All they did on mine is look at the VIN and record it on an inspection form which I took to DMV along with the out of state title. No other inspection was required for title. I plated the truck as historic, so no inspection was required for that either.

Gunzy

In Utah ANYTHING that is not already on a Utah title requires a VIN inspection. Here it can be done at the DMV, by any Law Enforcement, or by a licensed state safety inspector. So here it is easy and nut unusual. I have had 9-10 former MVs done with "0" trouble.

Flyingvan911

My deuce had a 17 digit VIN from the SDNG. GL sent me an AZ title and I walked in to the MO DMV and registered it. No hassle at all. I suspect it's either the SF97, the short VIN, or both.

pigpen60

In January 2015 i purchase a M1008 from the same place as my deuce and it(m1008) came with a SF-97 and it went through no problem. I met a nice trooper when my daughter in law hit a cop car. Ill see if she will come out to the house for my inspection.

Ue413

I've found both DMV and state patrol inconsistent, however, the trend is you need to buy a $27.50 form 551, have state patrol document serial number on form, and provide title.

Stein12501

When I titled my Deuce they didn't require the DOR-551. When I titled the 5 ton they required that I pay for the DOR-551, take it to a Hwy Patrol Inspection station. He checked the VIN and filled out the paperwork. He also Noted on the paperwork that is a "Non USA Standard Vehicle" which shows up on the title. The truck is licensed as a commercial Farm Truck with 30K plates and I have never had a problem. Good Luck!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks