• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling HMMWV in Indiana.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've looked through all the topics on Indiana titles but have only found reference to 5 tons and older than 25 year old military trucks. Has anyone applied for a title in Indiana for a HMMWV with just a bill of sale and inspection? Thanks for any help.

1904Ford

How did it work? License branch said they probably wouldn't be able to get me an on road title which was pretty disappointing. Not trying to "break rules" but am I out of options? I was under the understanding that Indiana was pretty friendly to surplus military vehicles.

Guruman

Not so new member
How did it work? License branch said they probably wouldn't be able to get me an on road title which was pretty disappointing. Not trying to "break rules" but am I out of options? I was under the understanding that Indiana was pretty friendly to surplus military vehicles.
It might be worth your effort to try another branch. I'm not sure where you are, but it might be worth "shopping around". I didn't have any issues getting my lmtv titled and registered. the biggest hassle was that I needed to have the sheriff come out and verify the serial number and check if it was stolen.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't get it done yet, still waiting on my sf97. I did get a 90 day plate from Arizona just so I can work on it and drive it around. The BMV told me no issue with 8 digit vin. So it must be the branch you went to. Try another as Guruman said.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you take the license branch? SF97, inspection, bill of sale?

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a word of warning, if the sf97 is not issued in your name, Indiana won't accept it. They won't accept the re-assignment letter from govplanet to you. I had this issue with my first 5 ton from govplanet.

Coonass77

Just a word of warning, if the sf97 is not issued in your name, Indiana won't accept it. They won't accept the re-assignment letter from govplanet to you. I had this issue with my first 5 ton from govplanet.
I had the same issue at the first DMV I went to in NC - the sf97 reassignment letter from gp wasn't on an official DMV reassignment form, so they said they wouldn't accept it. I went down the street to the next closest DMV to me and they accepted it without question and have since titled 2 additional hmmwv's for me with no issues, concerns or even questions. Short story: If at first you don't succeed, it might be worth trying another office before giving up or getting too frustrated.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same issue at the first DMV I went to in NC - the sf97 reassignment letter from gp wasn't on an official DMV reassignment form, so they said they wouldn't accept it. I went down the street to the next closest DMV to me and they accepted it without question and have since titled 2 additional hmmwv's for me with no issues, concerns or even questions. Short story: If at first you don't succeed, it might be worth trying another office before giving up or getting too frustrated.
Problem is Indiana does not accept re-assignment of the SF97. SF97 has to be issued in his name for it to be valid.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless they have changed procedure in the last few years, the sf97 is issued in govplanets name and they then send that and a letter of re-assignment to you as a purchaser. Some states will accept the letter, unfortunately Indiana will not.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless they have changed procedure in the last few years, the sf97 is issued in govplanets name and they then send that and a letter of re-assignment to you as a purchaser. Some states will accept the letter, unfortunately Indiana will not.

I'm hoping it is in my name. I bought a ex us postal truck and the sf97 they sent me was in my name from the US Government. That was in November.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm hoping it is in my name. I bought a ex us postal truck and the sf97 they sent me was in my name from the US Government. That was in November.
Now that I think about it, I did have to have Ironplanet send a letter saying the transfer was to me. They accepted it at my branch.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a postal van. I got the title from govplanet and it was a sf97. And just like you said it was listed in Ironplanet name. I had to have Ironplanet send me a letter that transfered the title to me. I have the paperwork somewhere.

Action

It was a postal van. I got the title from govplanet and it was a sf97. And just like you said it was listed in Ironplanet name. I had to have Ironplanet send me a letter that transfered the title to me. I have the paperwork somewhere.
The sf97 is NOT a title. It is a certificate to obtain title. You can just pay extra and have GP send you a real title. Then just take that in and trasfer it.
You do not get a title and an sf97. One or the other.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks