• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling/SF97 after purchase from original buyer, FL

RallyRebel

Okay, search didn't yield much for me on this particular scenario although I'd bet a few here have either encountered it personally or no of someone who has: I'm interested in a CUCV that was purchased through GL but the buyer didn't get SF97 and/or title, also no EUC for what it's worth. My question is can I, as new owner, backtrack to GL and get SF97 and/or title paperwork? If not are there any other "simple" title options? Failing that has anyone ever titled a CUCV through towing yard process? I've done that for other vehicles but never anything ex-governement.

Thanks for any useful feedback! :beer:

Chief_919

You cannot get a title from GL unless you are the original purchaser.

The proper procedure is for the buyer to gte the SF-97, get it titled in his name, then sell it. Unless the original buyer is a dealer, then in most cases they can legally reassign the title.

There are a bunch of less than honest folks out there flipping trucks without ever doing this, to avoid the cost. What they do is sell you a whole heap of hassle.

Your steps now will vary by state. But in pretty much every state will be a hassle.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all the states changing the way they title vehicles, unless it comes with a title it is a parts truck or scrap value.

There are ways of getting a title but they are time consumming and costly. Each state is different.

RallyRebel

I've had my share of no-title vehicles, abandoned vehicles, recovery vehicles etcetera... Right now working on titles for 15 vehicles abandoned in my storage yard, so they know me at the title office! ;-) But I'll always accept and profess my ignorance which is why I ask those more knowledgeable than I 'cause if you ask around enough you'll find a way.

area52

Here is my .02 cents ( not sense mind you! :razz: )

Here in NM you are able to get a title for a non titled truck by a few steps.

Get a bill of sale with the usual info - price, VIN, seller and buyers info, date, make model and what type engine (gas or diesel)
Go to an insurance company or place that sells title bonds ( here in NM I did it at my Allstate agents place), cost me $50.

Get the VIN verified by a LEO, again here the State Police do it for free.

take all paperwork to the DMV and calmly tell them you want a title. You have to probably try several different people or offices since alot of the DMV folks can't wrap their noodle around an ex-military vehicle in civilian hands.

might not work in FL but something to look into.

good luck.