• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TM for convoy lights

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just picked up some convoy lights and I am trying to find a TM on the parts and installation on my Deuce . I think I have everything , even have the cables . I have a nice set of strobes for the poles , should work out good .:?

DieselBob

Just like machinist75 indicated I have never seen them in a TM either. Just the direction that came with them. I deviated from the directions which would have you tie them into the master switch and ran a separate feed wire from the magnetic starter relay and through a circuit breaker so if something goes wrong there is less of a chance that it kills everything.

cameraPics 019b.jpg

SierraHotel

It’s in TM 9-2320-260-20, section X (14-50). It’s kind of confusing and shows a lot that you don’t need to know. I believe I have some additional pages with graphics of the installation if you want them (along with the relevant parts of TM 9-2320-260-20). I just installed mine, it’s not that hard. I pulled off of the high beam switch, but now they go off when I hit the high beams, so I need to monkey around some. It looks a bit daunting, but is not that hard.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you one and all , gotta love SS ! I would like to use the lead off the dimmer switch , with the separate dash switch , that way it will kill the lights when I turn off the master. I am using strobes which really don't have a big draw , so should be good to go . I have to give the poles a quick 383 paint job and then get the install going . :beer: bob k

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I have to accept common useage of the "American" English, but I'm getting a little confused with the terminology here...

Strobe :- Very high intensity (like arc welding flash), non-rotating, flashing light (often upwards of 5 per sec). Usually white and seen within head lamps of Police vehicles or mounted as small aux lamps of different colors on Fire trucks etc. Think night clubs / discos (if you are old enough) etc.

Convoy lights : - I bow to common useage here and accept that you all refer to rotating orange 'hazard' lamps on poles/roofs as such, BUT I'm used to 'convoy lights' being the very small, often hidden underneath at the rear, lamps that shine on a white painted differential or a small plate, for convoy driving at night with all other lights off.
[black out lights being very dim lamps (front and rear) and used for tactical movement at night]

Having a CDL with Tow Truck endorcement, I can advise that it is NOT legal to drive with hazard lights (4 way flashers) OR rotating orange beacons, UNLESS you are driving slow and/or with an oversize load or you are stationary and parked in a hazardous manner (ie., scene of an accident).
Yes - we all see tow trucks (mostly the smaller non CDL ones) using these at normal highway speed, but it's incorrect and because the operator is too lazy to afix the tow lights to the rear of the towed vehicle. The towed vehicle should be considered no different than a trailer - secure, not a hazard to other road users and illuminated as needed. I have even seen roll backs using these - with the carried vehicle secure and really no different to a load on a flat bed!

NB. A civilian convoy (with more than 4 vehicles is also illegal in most states) traveling at normal highway speeds is not slow and therefore should not display any "hazard" lights.

Oversize loads may have rear mounted flashing or solid orange lights (not necessarily rotating) but these depend upon the amount of over size.

I know I am going to get bashed for something here, but down the road, it may help someone new to big green toys, who really doesn't know the legallities and like others have said - they couldn't find a TM other than for installation.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No offence taken , these will be for show only , I am WELL acquainted with the NYS VTL , and yes you have to be aware of the rules of the game in your particular state .

SierraHotel

No offense taken, either.
I did not know those issues until recently, but fortunately,I was already using my convoy lights only when I was doing under the postedspeed limit (such as getting on Route 15 and going up a hill at 20 MPH or goingas fast as I can down Interstate 66, with everyone else doing 70 MPH). With the way they drive in the D.C. area,every little thing helps.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can advise that it is NOT legal to drive with hazard lights (4 way flashers) OR rotating orange beacons, UNLESS you are driving slow and/or with an oversize load or you are stationary and parked in a hazardous manner (ie., scene of an accident).
Thank you for providing these insights. Before I go on, read this: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56011368-78/yates-ruman-skordas-crash.html.csp
There are pictures and descriptions about this fatal rear-ender involving an M35A3 on the site.

I am saying this to set the stage.

I drove home from a car show yesterday, on a 4 lane highway, in good weather. I was by far the slowest vehicle, travelling in the right hand lane. Without exception, hundreds of vehicles performed lane changes behind me. Some of these maneuvres were mind-boggling to watch in my mirrors. Changing lanes in the last moment, cutting others off, clearly without shoulder checking or signalling. Again and again. I was wondering how far ahead in traffic these drivers are actually looking.

My vehicle is painted in ultra-flat camouflage paint and carries the required legal minimum amount of lighting. In addition

• I put two highly reflective, made by 3M, delineator panels, magnetic, onto the tail gate
  • I upgraded to the super bright Trucklite LED taillights
  • I carry a mil-spec blaze orange signal tarp that can be affixed to the tail gate for added visibility
  • I installed an amber beacon, "convoy light style" on an adjustable mast behind the cab, driver side. The light can be placed so high that it clears the cargo cover and is visible 360 degrees. The beacon is a modern quad-flash LED beacon.

All of this is to do everything I can to be visible to others. I will not run my amber beacon unless on the highway at night or in bad visibility. I will gladly explain to a law enforcement officer why I am doing what I am doing. Should, in such a situation, the officer's legal interpretation conflict with the precautionary approach outlined above, I will pay the ticket and move on.

This is a hobby. It is not worth a deadly risk.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed , if you read section 375 41-3 , of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic law , it spells it out , but it also says you can display AMBER lights on a HAZARD VEHICLE , a MV doing 40-45 MPH in a 55 or more ZONE is a HAZARD , IMHO . To me a warning light is common sense . It comes down to the same old story , don.t abuse it and do not make the hobby look bad , again use common sense .

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RTK SH and CRM - I totally concur and thank you for the practical addaptation of legal jargon - which is based on civi vehicles - shiny and often brightly coloured. Yes, a camo truck, set against green trees, shadows etc., moving even only 10 - 15 slower than "traffic" is a hazard. Remember that phrase... "I thought I was a hazard, Officer - what with everyone else breaking the speed limit and all"...

I for one use headlights when driving on roads in wooded areas - shade etc., also poor weather (in NY - it's also a reqm't to put on headlights when using wipers) and early dusk/dawn.
Even when driving a loaded civi pickup/gooseneck combo on the throughway, I do the flashers under 40 thing like big trucks have to.

So long as you are aware of your changeing conditions, speed, visibility etc., and adjust your conspicuity accordingly, then I'd too argue the case. But anyway, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a trooper who would bother with the 'too many lights' issue. Shame though - those small lazy wreckers, can't see the turn signals, almost as bad as the big camping receiver rack or bundle of bicycles obscuring tail lights......

What ticks me off is the use of front fog lights when it's a lovely day! Can you imagine how annoying rear fog lights are when left on in good weather in the UK/Eur!!! (they are as bright as brake lights)

I for one, have been pulled over a few times for not signaling..... when I am on my own and the trooper is mile away or parked or on a divided highway going the opposite direction... "Well there was no one around that needed my signal" doesn't wash over hear. I did the advanced driving test in the UK (voluntary) and was tought to only signal, if necessary, AFTER you have assessed whether your intended change of speed or direction will effect any other road user. Seems to me that over hear there are a lot of people who think the turn signal automatically gives them right of way to cut people off regardless of being in the right or even considering other road users behind, infront or to the side. I think it saves you having to look in the mirror!

So - keep on keeping on, "Convoy" beacons and all! Lets hope we all make it to the end of lifes journey unprematurely no thanks to the idiot who 'didn't see you'.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for providing these insights. Before I go on, read this: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56011368-78/yates-ruman-skordas-crash.html.csp
There are pictures and descriptions about this fatal rear-ender involving an M35A3 on the site.
Just read the news article - interesting to read the comments that were below... Conflicting points of view on both sides of the debate. Yes, if you cannot keep up to the minimum speed limit, then you shouldn't use that road. Should you always be aware of traffic infront/behind you - yes.

Doesn't bring back the guy who died, but I bet the truck driver will have a few sleepless nights for the rest of her life.
Good job it wasn't a troop carrier full of National Guard kids or a fuel tanker full of avgas.....

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did we get here , o ya , I asked about lights , LOL , no problem , this is ALL good discussion , makes everybody aware of rules and regs . besides it MY **** BIRTHDAY ! AGAIN ! can anybody fix that LOL

steelandcanvas

I have no problem whatsoever operating my yellow strobes when pulling a hill in the right-hand lane. I need to do everything I can to let my slow presence be known. I can't imagine anyone ever being pulled over and written a ticket because they were displaying some sort of caution light. My strobes are not for looks, displays or shows, I installed them for safety.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, if you cannot keep up to the minimum speed limit, then you shouldn't use that road.
Not all states or provinces do have minimum speeds on multi-lane highways. Ontario states that "No motor vehicle shall be driven on a highway at such a slow rate of speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic thereon except when the slow rate of speed is necessary for safe operation having regard to all the circumstances"

This tells me that a Deuce doing 50 mph/80 kmh in the right hand lane with everybody being able to pass around would not be a violation.

Finally - I apologize to the OP "rtk" for taking his thread somewhat sideways! :beer:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks