• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TMs for MEP-002

Carl_in_NH

I'm looking to purchase an MEP-003, or an MEP-002. The 003's are scarce in this area, but there's some 002's out there that I'm considering. Smaller generators are not always bad - since you can get longer runtimes on a given amount of fuel if your load is light enough - and around here in the Winter when you're just running the oil burner and some lights during the outage you don't need a whole lot of kW's.

Can anyone tell me the TM numbers that cover the 002? I'd like to study on that model a little before plunking down my money.

Also, is there some easy or magic way to find the correct TM number for a given military widget? I do a lot of searching and sometimes get lucky - but keep thinking there's got to be an easier way that I just must not know about.

Thanks,

-Carl

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might be surprised how much you can run with a military 5KW set. Remember that they are rated for a full 5KW continuous duty. You'll not find a civi model rated for that, unless you want to shell out some major coin to get one. Plus the motor starting capacity (or surge rating) on these sets is somewhere in the neighborhood of 300% rated KW. If you were wise about when you started motor loads and made sure to not start them all at once, I would be willing to bet that a 5KW would run an average house nicely.

The TM numbers for the 002a are

TM 5-6115-584-12
TM 5-6115-584-24P
TM5-6115-584-34

I don't now of any secrets to looking up the manuals for a specific piece of equipment, but I just google the equipment and a lot of times through searching the related pages a number will pop up, then you can go to the resources section and download it or try LOGSA if it's not here.

Jones

Only to narrow your search, not to pinpoint it.
TM9-s are Ordnance which covers weaponry, vehicles- wheeled and tracked, as well as other interesting subjects. 10s are supply, 11s are comm stuff.

The next four digits are the federal Supply Class. www.drms.dla.mil/asset/fsclist.html
will give you lots of good stuff to read.

The next three digits are the serial number assigned to the pub. series. Haven't figured out any rhyme or reason there. If you figure out a pattern share it with us.

The next two digits are what the manual is; 10s are operator's manuals, 20s are unit maint., 34s are direct support maint., etc. The higher the number the higher the maint. level. -Ps are parts manuals.

Carl_in_NH

Much obliged for the information, Speddmon and Jones. I'll take a look at those TMs.

Agree on the 5 kW rating with mil gensets - my 5 kW MEP-017a @ 500 pounds and full pressure oil system is a lot more generator than my 8 kW Briggs one-lung splash unit @ 220 pounds. The MEP could run day in and out at full load with not much more than oil changes - I don't think the bigbox store generator would last too long under the same demanding service.

If you've only got a hour or two of outage every couple months, the commerical unit is likely all you'll ever need. If you're in a situation where the power goes out and the duration is measured in days to weeks, you better have something that's designed to run for the duration. That's why I started looking for mil sets - one week without power in the middle of winter, with only a single tired old Briggs unit that I had to keep patching together to keep running made me believe that you've got to have more than one ready to go at a moments notice. Single points of failure are to be avoided. My goal now is to mix it up and have one or more gasoline, and one (or more) diesel.

Sure, these gensets need attention due to age - but the price is right to have more than one on hand for those events where you really need it. Besides, I don't care what they weigh - I'll just chain 'em down in the bed of the deuce. Puts the Mobile in Mobile Electric Power.

-Carl