• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To Bob or not To Bob?

To Bob or Not to Bob

• Never... Preserve and restore only

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Some modification is OK as long as it still looks like a MV

Votes: 40 22.1%
  • Cut and chop... Its' your money

Votes: 119 65.7%

• Total voters

Unforgiven

There used to be a guy that came on the forum a lot that had grandios plans to build a super deuce that would have everything imaginable on it --- dual winches --- lockers --- lots of horsepower --- different transmission --- all sorts of wonderful trinkets. His wonder truck was going to be for a huge promotional documentary for bio-diesel. I can't remember but I think it included more wheels/axles. Why not --- it had more of everything else.

He was going to drive from Canada to Argentina 100% off-road. :shock:

If he isn't in a college dorm someplace he's probably stuck in the Amazon jungle swatting mosquitos and streatching cable. I hope he didn't forget a spare tire and some snake repellent :???:

I can't remember his name but I miss him. He was entertaining
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...y-deuce-doesnt-have-these-ill-never-know.html

Warning. Clicking the above link will result in hours & hours of painful entertainment. I strongly urge you to make a beer run before pointing your mouse to the hyperlink.

4x4e350

My first MV

I am waiting for my 5 ton, and I plan on using it for a weekend driver, not hauling much, just lumber and such. I will have to determine if I can live with the rear dual axles, and if I can gain much by eliminating one.
I find it interesting all the people adding rear axles, and trying to gain the advantages of dual rears on regular trucks. While people who already have the dual rears, are getting rid of one.
I voted do what you want to your vehicle, but I really want to keep the dual rear axles if it is not to much trouble.

91W350

I stumbled into the Bobbed posts and the look those trucks have is awesome! I am sure they are great off road too, I watch a video of a bobber rolling through an off road rock garden like a 4x4 pickup on a railroad bed, it was pretty impressive. I set out to get the truck to build a bobbed 5 ton or 35A2.

Since then though, I have seen several trucks converted to singles and I am more inclined to get a M818 and put a drop side deuce bed on it. I just watched thirty or so of those beds get crushed about two years ago. The guy is a friend of mine and they were in his yard from Ft. Riley. I am sure I could have bought the nicest one available and had it set off to the side, but I am brain dead.

I say bob it if you want to, I hear they drive really nice, they certainly look the part and some of those bobbed trucks are pretty impressive. There is no doubt about their heritage.

I think I am about off of the bobbed truck idea now, one did not present itself at the right time. That being said, a nice drop side deuce on 395s sure looks sweet, almost as sweet as a M818 on 16.00X20s with a deuce box, which has become what I really want to do. I want the box just long enough to drop a mud flap behind the rear tire, as little rear overhang as possible.

We took some mighty fine looking street rods and muscle cars to a car show at Arkansas City a few years ago. Mine was a black 1969 427 El Camino that was just about flawless. We parked across the lane from a bunch of military guys and they had a constant crowd around their deuces and Jeeps. They had a couple of flat fenders and a couple of other Jeeps. They had a crowd of visitors too. They were having a blast, must have been nice not to worry about every stroller, blue jean rivet, purse snap.... Glen

Oblivionboyj

I see this argument between purists and improvers all the time on web forums.
It doesn't matter if the forum is a gun forum, a car forum, or in this case an MV forum.
The truth is that while the improvers are not truly destrying their investment, what they are doing is conceeding intangible value to the investment of the purists.
For each bobbed truck there is one more uncut one that is just a little more rare.
The person doing a bob job is adding value, as they see it, to thier truck as well.
I say beauty is in the eye of the owner and do what you want.

That said, I don't yet know what I will do when I get one of these trucks.
If I find a good M35A2, I may not mod. I might decide to after a while. I may even find an already bobbed truck and buy it.
I don't know yet.
What I do know is that the bobbed trucks really appeal to me, and I find myself thinking about them all the time.
I guess we will have to wait and see what I do. LOL

m816Buch

lots of folks are changing out the duals for singles, that's a mod.......so....if you can bob a truck, bob it........still looks cool, still looks military, just kinda shorter.......but still on the road

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks