• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To Bob or not To Bob?

To Bob or Not to Bob

• Never... Preserve and restore only

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Some modification is OK as long as it still looks like a MV

Votes: 40 22.1%
  • Cut and chop... Its' your money

Votes: 119 65.7%

• Total voters

hippiedude

Ran a 55 chevy in a demolition derby once , didn`t win ... :x ....Got thrashed by a 68 GTO ...:shock: ... Do what you want it`s your truck ....... Tim

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am torn on this. For me...preserve and restore ONLY...ALL THE WAY. For other guys...it's their money so they can do what they want (and I can cringe the whole time!).
That is kind of my thought. To me the 6x6 is one of the things that is so cool about the Deuce. I am probably going to add bolt on improvements like singles, maybe lockers and the like if I can get around my present HOA issues, so I guess I am not a purest. As for what someone does with their truck, that is up to them. I think they are all cool, it is just that my tastes lean toward the coolness of three axles. :mrgreen:

Baja Bandit

Their is an old Hot Rodders saying that I once heard, (as I run for cover for this post...) That anyone can restore but it takes a real man to cut it up... but cutting the post out of a 63 Split Window is just plain wrong!
:grd:

Personally, I like them both ways but never really gave much thought to owning one till a friend had and sold a bobbed deuce then bought and sold a bobbed 5ton. Got a real woody over the 5ton now just gotta have me one [thumbzup]

rwbrown72

Everyboy get one their :soapbox: !!! it is all in good fun. It takes all kinds of people to make things interesting. I feel that the more people who own Mv's the better. There will be problems from expanding the number of people, but the upside is greater than the downside IMO...

GreenDoc

There is an old Hot Rodders saying that I once heard, (as I run for cover for this post...) That anyone can restore, but it takes a real man to cut it up... but cutting the post out of a 63 Split Window is just plain wrong!
:grd:

Personally, I like them both ways but never really gave much thought to owning one till a friend had and sold a bobbed deuce then bought and sold a bobbed 5ton. Got a real woody over the 5ton now just gotta have me one [thumbzup]
Amen on every point.!...From the Lumber inducing Bobbed 5 Ton, to the Split window Vette!....But you know they sell all the parts to put the split back between those windows, along with all 4 glass fenders to undo all those "funky" fender flares, & front valances to undo the "groovy" front spoilers that went along with 'em.

The Vettes got a bit Disco for a while, :grd: but the entire marque is STRONGER now for it all!
You can't swing a dead cat** without hitting at least one $50,000.00 RESTORED Vette at a Rod Run or a Car Show! ...They usually park in the same area as similarly priced Hot-Rodded Vettes

:wink: & now they've come full circle & now many of those "butchered up" Vetttes are being bought as RETRO pieces!....:cookoo:

**....Please note that no Cats were actually harmed in the testing of this statement.**
Thank You.

Stan Leschert

I won't vote, but I will chime in. If the truck is of a state that it is almost perfect, let someone else buy it off of you and keep the truck original. If it has some problems which make it ready for a project, go for it. That is just simple economics. A couple of good trucks, which are sent good homes will pay for a Mod job. Maybe not quite to Robr 's standards, but still pretty good.

That said, you own it, you can do as you wish.

robr

yeah but that robr guy has lost is mind :cookoo:
wait thats me well my commit still stands rofl
and Robr standards make you spend way to much money ;)

rwbrown72

The voting isn't even close.... We have a bunch of "Individuals" on here. Nice work everyone! I am now looking forward to seeing some unusual creations.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think an MV enthusiast/collector would say no(do not bob).

I think an off-road-er/big truck enthusiast would say, build what ever you like.

One thought I have when I see a truck cut and bobbed is, "all the history, pride and sentimental value, has been cut off in the bob job". I am proud of my trucks, for their history.

I think a bobbed truck owner, is more proud of his truck, for his own personal customisation/accomplishment.

I suppose there is some place between these two views, that we meet in the middle(here on SS). I can fully appreciate the thought, work and effort to build a custom truck. I can also fully appreciate the dedication and desire to preserve a piece of American history.

Personally, I have not yet(but am tempted too) built a bobbed truck( I have even bought the extra front springs). I do have a real junker parts truck, that I am slowly using for parts, It may live again as a short truck, If I could only fire up that torch......

I try to think of a bobbed deuce like a Model A doodlebug.

EO2NMCB

I have to agree that its your truck to do with as you please. That said, Look at all the CCKW's, WC command cars that were farmerized after they were surplused after WW II.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I never thought I would "hear" myself type this but I think Doghead expressed my feelings best on the sublect.
(Waits to be on the auto bounce list again).
I won't bob an MV myself but if someone else does (not a classic/rare one), I will just look at the end result and craftsmanship and try to see the good aspects rather than complain.

I have only seen one EXTREMELY POOR MODIFICATION posted on here. Remember the poor deuce with the lowrider suspension/tires?
PLEASE DON'T ANYONE POST A PIC OF IT!!

Attachments

Last edited:

bigjuice69

I voted option #3 just because its mine!! besides the the M945 bridging truck i bought had to be cut in half to get it out of the scrap yard. cut the frame ten feet behind the cab and grabbed one rear axle so what a better way to bob a 900 series truck.

GreenDoc

I think an MV enthusiast/collector would say no(do not bob).

I think an off-road-er/big truck enthusiast would say, build what ever you like.

One thought I have when I see a truck cut and bobbed is, "all the history, pride and sentimental value, has been cut off in the bob job". I am proud of my trucks, for their history.

I think a bobbed truck owner, is more proud of his truck, for his own personal customisation/accomplishment.

I suppose there is some place between these two views, that we meet in the middle(here on SS). I can fully appreciate the thought, work and effort to build a custom truck. I can also fully appreciate the dedication and desire to preserve a piece of American history.
.....I went around the block a bit wearing green while working for my Uncle (Uncle Sam). I've spent time both behind the wheel & also in the back (as cargo). I've been dirtied & bloodied with some of these myself.
I can completely understand the sentimentality of MV enthusiast/collectors. To Bob a deuce is NOT minor surgery! The procedure morphs an iconic 6x6 into something else entirely. ;-)

But I don't see that the modifications diminish the iconic value of the truck.
I have yet to see one modified to the extent that is not clearly identifiable as a military vehicle......(OK, I bet someone out there has a pic of a lowered, pink one with spinners on it, right?!?!) :mrgreen: well besides that one!..

Every Bobber I've seen still wears military colors & still sounds like a deuce to me....
I am a veteran, but I don't look exactly like I did when I wore my uniform. Sure, my hair is still short (OK it fell out!), & I've gained a few pounds..More than a few! ...But it's funny how so many people seem to know I'm a veteran before I tell them.

I would not wear my uniform now that I'm off active duty, & my Deuce can't wear unit insignias, or armament...it would be inappropriate. We now enjoy our MVs in civilian dress. (Like us), they don't act the same, & they aren't (usually) treated the same.

Point is that we are still honoring the vehicles as we modify them. In fact the modifications change them in a way that they can be driven & used MORE. The majority of MV owners do not work the trucks to the point that it's full strengths are really required anyway. They don't NEED 6X6 traction, nor do they NEED the full load capacity, or the full bed size. Bobbing the truck does lessen the load carrying capability, but how many civillians would really miss it??

I believe that bobbing a deuce is kinda like wearing a pair of cammy shorts on a weekend. It's a CASUAL salute to our military, without being an old fat guy in his ill fitting former uniform.

To my way of thinking, it's MORE appropriate to give the casual nod, than to impersonate. ;-)

stumps

You own it, you can do anything you want to with it. That is the over riding principle to any argument that can be made on the subject...

That said, if you don't want a deuce, why not get something better? Like any 4WD pickup truck? It will be faster, drive better in the mud than a bobber, get better mileage, and if you get a dually, haul a heavier load.

Every time I have seen a bobber go head-to-head in the mud with a similarly equipped 4WD PU truck, the bobber has lost. Every time I have seen a bobber go head-to-head with a deuce, the bobber has lost. No big surprise after you have cut its balls off, and installed a poor imitation of a civilian PU truck rear suspension (leaf springs, no shocks, no torsion bar.. ).

The 6WD, and the rear suspension, are the only things that are truly unique about a deuce.

-Chuck

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Its your money, your truck and your call. You pay the freight. Now I think everyone on this site is smart emough not to bob a Bridge Truck or something else just as rare. In fact, some trucks that have been bobbed are taken better care of that a non-bobber. They are in fact pampered due to the amount of work, and money that has been invested. I rarely see a bobber playing in 3 feet of mud. My 2 cents...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks