• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To Brake or Not To Brake

clayne2014

Have a break system question. When i bought the deuce there were no brakes at all. Air system worked but hydraulics not. We replaced all the brake cylinders and filled with fluid. Brakes worked well. That ride was at Christmas so she has sat up for about 2 months ago. Anyway, i was planning to take another ride today and backed it up in the driveway. No brakes at all. Pedal is up in normal position, and is a little spongy when it pushes all the way to the floorboard, but it does come back up to normal position. Air pressure in the cab is showing about 90. I got beneath the vehicle to see if i heard any air leaking but did not. I do not really see any puddles where fluid would have leaked out either. Appreciate any tips / advice you can give.

clayne2014

Sorry....forgot to mention that after ride at christmas, right rear wheel was smoking. A mechanic friend backed off a couple of bolts on inside of right rear hub, so not sure if that has anything to do with problem or not.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you checked the clearance on all your pads? Might want to check that first.

I do 15 thou top and bottom and it works well for me.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sorry....forgot to mention that after ride at christmas, right rear wheel was smoking. A mechanic friend backed off a couple of bolts on inside of right rear hub, so not sure if that has anything to do with problem or not.
Well, if he turned the brake adjuster bolts he probably caused that hub to have excessive clearance between the the brake shoe and drum.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Have a break system question. When i bought the deuce there were no brakes at all. Air system worked but hydraulics not. We replaced all the brake cylinders and filled with fluid. Brakes worked well. That ride was at Christmas so she has sat up for about 2 months ago. Anyway, i was planning to take another ride today and backed it up in the driveway. No brakes at all. Pedal is up in normal position, and is a little spongy when it pushes all the way to the floorboard, but it does come back up to normal position. Air pressure in the cab is showing about 90. I got beneath the vehicle to see if i heard any air leaking but did not. I do not really see any puddles where fluid would have leaked out either. Appreciate any tips / advice you can give.
1 - The pedle is at "NOMUAL" position means NOTHING, it has a spring return.
2 - How much fluid is in the master cylinder?
3 - The fluid needs to go some where.
4 - SPONGY means that there is AIR in the system.
5 - You DO NOT have air brakes, so no point in looking for a air leak.
6 - I would guess that the wheel that that had the brake adjustment was taken ALL the way in, there by OVER EXTENDING the piston to active the brakes which in turn WILL blow the wheel cylinder.
7 - Did you check the master cylinder BEFORE you found that the peddle went to the floor (preflight works GREAT detecting brake issues).
8 - I would HIGHLY suggest that you study how your brakes work, the adjustments and the proper way to bleed them because of the SINGLE CIRCUT JUICE BRAKES that you HAVE.
9 - Did you ever find out WHY the brakes were TO TIGHT on that one wheel, these trucks DO NOT have SELF ADJUSTING brakes ?.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you using dot 5?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Corrected your title in order to make it easier to find for future users looking for brake information.

That folks is why spelling is important in the thread titles.

clayne2014

Yes....and after finding the air leak, i started trying to locate the power steering pump :grin:. I do appreciate all the advice and sorry for the "break" slip.

gimpyrobb

Yes....and after finding the air leak, i started trying to locate the power steering pump :grin:. I do appreciate all the advice and sorry for the "break" slip.
Now I saw in your first post the hydraulics didn't work, but I wasn't sure you were serious. Has your truck been modified, or do you not know there is no hydraulics on these trucks?

clayne2014

Now I saw in your first post the hydraulics didn't work, but I wasn't sure you were serious. Has your truck been modified, or do you not know there is no hydraulics on these trucks?
Sorry, Robb......i was serious, but maybe confused. I was considering the fluid part of the braking system as hydraulic. This is my first MV, so i am learning on the fly. the wealth of knowledge on this site is very helpful.

gimpyrobb

Yes the fluid in the brakes are hydraulic, its an air "assist" system. I was thrown off by your power steering comment, thats all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks