• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To Deuce or NOT

LimpyHauler

I have been flipping back and forth on the whether to purchase a deuce or a 5ton. I have a had a few diesel truck and now I just want a work horse for the weekends, and not a daily driver. I basically need to know whether its better to go with a deuce or a 5ton for the simple purpose of a hauling a jeep and other offroad vehicles to and from (and recover them when they break). Many of these are in the mountains and this is where is i dont know if it would be better to have the 5ton or not. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance

CGarbee

Hmm. A deuce will cary a jeep in the bed without any problems. Gets about 10mpg unladen. Multifuel easy to work on (and consumables are fairly innexpensive). Doesn't come stock with power steering, but you can add that ($$). Large enough to be able to recover a 5/4 or smaller MV without too much trouble although is is large enough to be a hassle if you have to take it on a trail (bassically, they are too long for a lot of jeep trail turns...).

A five ton will cary the jeep just as easily in the bed, but the bed is a tad higher which will affect loading some. Gets about 5mpg unladen. Consumables are a bit more expensive (and you need larger quantities of everything such as engine and gear oil). Does come with power steering standard. Don't really think that you'd want to try taking one up any of the jeep trails that I have been on in NC due to the size, but you know the trails that you ride...

Five ton will require a non-CDL class B operator's permit in NC. A duece may be operated using a non-CDL class C operator's permit (the standard default driver's permit that you can drive a car or pickup with).

My duece will run down the Interstate about 8mph faster than my five ton although both slow way down for hills... :)

Added: In NC, a truck 25 years old or older may run TP tags with just liability insurance (rate determined by the NC Reinsurace Bureau, not your Insurance Company) and thus for a given duece or five ton those costs would be the same if the trucks compared are that old. For trucks newer then 25 years, you have to run a Weighted tag that has enough declared weight to cover the GVCW of the vehicle at any time along with liabilty insurance. The weighted tags for a five ton are considerably more costly than for a duece (you pay per pound on a lagarithmic scale...) although the insurance would remain the same...

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with the deuce over the 5 ton for similiar reasons. Parts were easier to find and cheaper. Truck is easier to work on. That said, I'd still like to add a 5 ton some day.

David_4x4

I'd get a deuce just because they're big enough to get what it sounds you want done, but small enough you can still wrench on them in your drive way. And parts availability.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree that for what you want to do, a deuce is the answer. I ended up with a 5 ton and everything for them is more expensive. The are way overkill for what you are wanting to do. I reccomend picking up a towbar and axle clamps so that you can tow whatever you want with the deuce.

rizzo

Re: RE: To Deuce or NOT

gimpyrobb said:
I agree that for what you want to do, a deuce is the answer. I ended up with a 5 ton and everything for them is more expensive. The are way overkill for what you are wanting to do. I reccomend picking up a towbar and axle clamps so that you can tow whatever you want with the deuce.

I have both and I agree.

for your aplication a deuce will work great. and if you get it stuck it will be easier to get out than a 5ton. plus smaller for the trails you may hit on recovery jobs.

LimpyHauler

RE: Re: RE: To Deuce or NOT

Then deuce it is, now its just down to finding a decent one that I can get up and running ASAP. Thanks again for the help.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Limpy,

Do a search on govliquidation.com for "trucks".
There are a lot coming up in the next few weeks and next month.
I got a good deal last month on my duece but I am still waiting on the End User Certificate to be approved.
If you want instant gratification you might check out the want ads on this site.
You will pay more, but you can play with your new toy sooner :jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks