• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To Drive Home Or Not? 89,000 Mile M1008.

TGM1984

I'm buying a M1008 with 84,000 miles on it. The truck is 168 miles away. The current owner put a 6 inch lift with 37 inch Humvee tires on it. I went down last week to look at it and forgot to check the harmonic balancer. The truck felt good driving down the road. I called him about it and he said it looked ok. I need some opinions if I should trust a 29 year old balancer for the trip.

Last edited:

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to drive 89000 miles home I say NO send it by spaceship. However I now see its 170 miles. I would tow it home with a tow bar and check everything when its home and then you will not get any expensive or unsafe surprises on the trip.

Skinny

Dude...intergalactic Cuck Vee shipping isn't cheap these days. Your best bet would be catch a ride with NASA when they go pick up the moon Jeep. I typically don't recommend driving any old questionable vehicle home in fear of breaking down resulting in very expensive recovery or possibly damaging a component because it didn't have proper maintenance done but that distance is pretty small. I say kick the tires and light the fires! I would go with a second vehicle loaded with tools just in case. A recovery is not a recovery unless you are going with a buddy and get to drive convoy back!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you know it's original or bad(if you never looked at it).

zout

Opinions ?? that is an open request.

If I were selling it an had a sucker on line I would feed them a line of BS a mile long. As long as you signed the BOS and released the owner of all liability it yours. You sure cannot call the previous owner because he is laughing all the way to the bank.

It was hypothecial because I could never do that if I sold something - but I sure know lots of folks who would not think twice. Before I forked over cash or signed anything I would make sure what I was getting as it was physically and who cares what the owner said. But you asked.

TGM1984

How do you know it's original or bad(if you never looked at it).

All I know is he got it from govliquidation 2 years ago and he hasn't changed it. So there is a chance it got changed during maintenance from the army. I'm going to check everything a second time before I hand over the cash. I just wish I checked it the first time I went down there.
aua

Skinny

Wow, we are hinging a truck purchase on a $120 part? (that's for an AC Delco OEM balancer, not the cheaper aftermarket replacement)

You also want to make sure the color is right for you too ;)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I'm getting old. My father was a AAA member for as long as I ever remembered. I never even coonsidered joining. Now I'm a premier member. I get up to 4 tows a year each up to 100 miles and one of them up to 200. Just bought an HHR 95 miles away and couldn't muster up an extra driver. AAA brought it home lickity split. The nice thing about CUCVs is that AAA will tow them. Look at the balancer. If it's shifted, replace on site or tow it.
Skinny, do you happenbto have the PN for the Delco balancer?

truck1

Go for it . Sure there is a chance of BS in any sale, but if the truck is pretty stock and runs and stops fine I would do it. 129 miles is not that far. I bought my 1028 on EBay from a LA county deputy sheriff . It was 450 miles back home at 55 MPH without a hiccup ! But the seller was honest about his rig and 3 years and 6 grand later it runs awesome and I would drive it anywhere but not in a hurry.

GPrez

Even though we are in the same state we are not real close, but depending on where you are picking up I have a tow bar you can borrow that easily connects if you remove the front tow hooks. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

the skull

I told someone else, check the brake lines real close! My 1008 did super
on the test drive, but I chose to trailer it home less than 100 miles. Remember
those lines are 30 years old, and can be thin by now. I popped one loading it
on the trailer. If you choose to drive it, take a pair of vise grips, a claw
hammer, and a jug of brake fluid with you. Good Luck and please keep us
posted, get it home and enjoy it!

TGM1984

Sounds like I need to join AAA in the future! Thanks for the part number.
It's a easy and cheap fix I know. Just wished I looked the truck over better the first time since I'm driving it home this Saturday.
Have you guys had any issues with the balancers? If it looks good im driving it back.

TGM1984

He said he bought it with 71,000 miles on it. So I would think the Army already installed one during maintenance. I'll just cover all my corners and bring a extra balancer and tools so I don't have to walk away from the truck. I'll keep everyone updated when I get it back. Thanks for the input everyone![thumbzup]

chesapeake

Dude...intergalactic Cuck Vee shipping isn't cheap these days. Your best bet would be catch a ride with NASA when they go pick up the moon Jeep. I typically don't recommend driving any old questionable vehicle home in fear of breaking down resulting in very expensive recovery or possibly damaging a component because it didn't have proper maintenance done but that distance is pretty small. I say kick the tires and light the fires! I would go with a second vehicle loaded with tools just in case. A recovery is not a recovery unless you are going with a buddy and get to drive convoy back!!!

No need to catch a ride with NASA, they are using trampolines these days lol. Walmart sell them for about $100

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a truck capable of towing, drive over there, rent a U-Haul car hauler, pull the CUCV onto it and strap it down with the U-Haul straps, bring that baby home and roll her off in the yard, take the U-Haul back. Safe and sound. No worries.

So easy a Caveman can do it.

Attachments

TGM1984

Well I didn't get the truck! Inspected the truck a second time and noticed that they went off roading with it. The truck was blowing white smoke at running temperature and the feul pump was leaking. If they knew I was going to buy it why would they horse beat it...? Oh well!:shrugs:

I found another truck that is in great shape and has less than 40K on it. The truck is stock and looks like its been well maintained. I'll have my fingers crossed!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks