• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To get my HMMWV (M1097A2) in good running order... need help.

DREDnot

Its been a while since I had one apart to be honest. Try pulling that shaft and see if it comes out and turns out to be the driven gear. It should just slide out if it is.

mccullek

I will give that a try. Appreciate the help.
Additional question on transmission filter change. I was always told never to change the transmission filter in older vehicles if you are not having issues, as changing the filter stirs up a lot of sediments that later damages the transmission. This actually happened to my old bronco, so I've never changed my HMMWV filter for fear of this issue. Is this a problem with the HMMWVs, or should I just change out the filter to avoid future issues? I'm torn about what to do, as my previous experience has made me gun shy about changing transmission filters.

DREDnot

I was always told never to change the transmission filter in older vehicles if you are not having issues, as changing the filter stirs up a lot of sediments that later damages the transmission.
I've only heard that about having a "full Flush" service done. Never about a basic filter change. Dealers and some shops used to offer a flush that used a machine that flushed the entire system with fresh fluid. Sounded good in theory but moved debris into the valve body where hilarity ensued. Now its only something you do when you take out a grenaded transmission before you put the new one back in. Go ahead and do the basic filter change and replace the ATF that was in the pan. Make sure you clean out all the mung in the trans pan.

DSCN8092.JPG

mccullek

I've only heard that about having a "full Flush" service done. Never about a basic filter change. Dealers and some shops used to offer a flush that used a machine that flushed the entire system with fresh fluid. Sounded good in theory but moved debris into the valve body where hilarity ensued. Now its only something you do when you take out a grenaded transmission before you put the new one back in. Go ahead and do the basic filter change and replace the ATF that was in the pan. Make sure you clean out all the mung in the trans pan.

View attachment 908405
Thanks for the information. Looks like we are changing a filter. :)

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 908405
problem is, your leaving 60% or more of the dirty fluid in the torque converter, cooler and lines, you only get 4 quarts from the pan….thats the reason for the flush, the black stuff is clutch plate.

DREDnot

problem is, your leaving 60% or more of the dirty fluid in the torque converter, cooler and lines, you only get 4 quarts from the pan….thats the reason for the flush, the black stuff is clutch plate.
Agreed.
Thats why I said it sounds good on paper.
I would love to change out all the fluid...but...what I've been hearing from a few different professional sources is that power flushing seemed to be moving undesirable particles from nooks and crannies in the torque converters and coolers and ending up in valve bodies and causing failures soon after the flush was performed. Just passing along a revision to "best practice" that I had been hearing more of as of late.

The main point of my reply was to try to dispel poster mccullek"s rumor about the filter change causing the sediment migration issue and not wanting to change fluid and filter at all.

This idea could also be coming from the "lifetime ATF" that newer cars "have" that is the reason for sealed transmissions with no dipstick or tube even. That is a whole subject of discussion in itself

Last edited:

DREDnot

After looking around, I have discovered that I am missing speedometer parts... the pic shown is the big hole in my case and I am wondering, in addition to the obvious parts missing; 1, 24, 23, 22, 21, 20, 19, and 18 could anyone tell me if part number 17 is actually in there? As you can see from the terrible picture, there is a metal shaft of some sort. It would be great if 17 is in there - it would be just one less part I'd have to buy :-/

Thank you
Finally got some fresh info for you on this.

I believe you ARE missing part number 17. What your pic is showing is the machined aluminum pad that hold the bottom of that geared shaft in place like a plain thrust bearing surface. Pics show part 17 as it falls loose when removing the housing. You can also see pics of the indexing marks I was telling you about.
This unit (M1114 turbo) had the red gear with 36 teeth

20231017_090046.jpg

20231017_090200.jpg

20231017_090212.jpg

20231017_085942.jpg

20231017_085904.jpg

That little raised bump next to the 32-38 line is what you have to line up to set the correct "backlash/pinon depth" of the red gear to that white ring gear. (The bore of the #19 housing is eccentric to accomplish this)

mccullek

Agreed.
Thats why I said it sounds good on paper.
I would love to change out all the fluid...but...what I've been hearing from a few different professional sources is that power flushing seemed to be moving undesirable particles from nooks and crannies in the torque converters and coolers and ending up in valve bodies and causing failures soon after the flush was performed. Just passing along a revision to "best practice" that I had been hearing more of as of late.

The main point of my reply was to try to dispel poster mccullek"s rumor about the filter change causing the sediment migration issue and not wanting to change fluid and filter at all.

This idea could also be coming from the "lifetime ATF" that newer cars "have" that is the reason for sealed transmissions with no dipstick or tube even. That is a whole subject of discussion in itself
I have some experience with this, so that's why I brought it up. I have an old bronco and it was running fine, and I never had a moments problem with the transmission. I took it in for an oil and lube to my mechanic and he talked me into changing the filter on the transmission. I do believe he flushed it as well. Within 30 days the torque converter was having issues and making noises. I had to have the transmission rebuilt on it afterwards. The transmission people were the ones that told me never to change the filter if you aren't having issues, as that was likely the cause of my torque converter failure.

Since that happened, I have never changed another transmission filter on any of my vehicles. I was not going to change it on my HMMWV either, but I keep reading where people suggest that it should be changed, thus my original question of how important it was, and is there any concern with it causing other issues to the transmission. I'm just a shade tree mechanic, although I can perform most procedures when I have a step-by-step manual as we get with most of the military vehicles. I've even figured out some of the more complicated issues that aren't in any manual with my LRT-110 military crane, but I have zero understanding of the inner workings of a transmission, so I wanted to ask from someone that would know and get additional advice so that I don't make another mistake like I did with my old bronco.

I appreciate the feedback and the discussion, as this is how we all learn.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some experience with this, so that's why I brought it up. I have an old bronco and it was running fine, and I never had a moments problem with the transmission. I took it in for an oil and lube to my mechanic and he talked me into changing the filter on the transmission. I do believe he flushed it as well. Within 30 days the torque converter was having issues and making noises. I had to have the transmission rebuilt on it afterwards. The transmission people were the ones that told me never to change the filter if you aren't having issues, as that was likely the cause of my torque converter failure.

Since that happened, I have never changed another transmission filter on any of my vehicles. I was not going to change it on my HMMWV either, but I keep reading where people suggest that it should be changed, thus my original question of how important it was, and is there any concern with it causing other issues to the transmission. I'm just a shade tree mechanic, although I can perform most procedures when I have a step-by-step manual as we get with most of the military vehicles. I've even figured out some of the more complicated issues that aren't in any manual with my LRT-110 military crane, but I have zero understanding of the inner workings of a transmission, so I wanted to ask from someone that would know and get additional advice so that I don't make another mistake like I did with my old bronco.

I appreciate the feedback and the discussion, as this is how we all learn.
That probably had nothing to do with the filter.
I have been twisting wrenches for over 50 years both as an occupation and a hobby and have never heard this.
At least I would someone try to explain how a clean filter can cause a failure.

mccullek

That probably had nothing to do with the filter.
I have been twisting wrenches for over 50 years both as an occupation and a hobby and have never heard this.
At least I would someone try to explain how a clean filter can cause a failure.
I have had people agree, and people disagree, so I honestly do not know? They say it stirs up sediments that get into the torque converter. It seems I'm not the only one to have heard this can happen but in my asking around, I get mixed responses. Guess I'm going to change my filter on the HMMWV since most seem to be doing so with no issues.

DEA AK

Finally got some fresh info for you on this.

I believe you ARE missing part number 17. What your pic is showing is the machined aluminum pad that hold the bottom of that geared shaft in place like a plain thrust bearing surface. Pics show part 17 as it falls loose when removing the housing. You can also see pics of the indexing marks I was telling you about.
This unit (M1114 turbo) had the red gear with 36 teeth

View attachment 908490

View attachment 908491

View attachment 908492

View attachment 908493

View attachment 908494

That little raised bump next to the 32-38 line is what you have to line up to set the correct "backlash/pinon depth" of the red gear to that white ring gear. (The bore of the #19 housing is eccentric to accomplish this)
great info, thank you very much!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love these little Chinese chargers, I have been using them for 8 years or so, you can use one to charge both at the same time or two to charge the batteries individually, no need to isolate them to use two chargers.
And you can leave them on indefinitely as they turn themselves on and off automatically.

DEA AK

I love these little Chinese chargers, I have been using them for 8 years or so, you can use one to charge both at the same time or two to charge the batteries individually, no need to isolate them to use two chargers.
And you can leave them on indefinitely as they turn themselves on and off automatically.
24v charger?@!? I guess I should have known... great info, thank you.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking that this charger set up might work to charge each battery separately with the kill switch set to OFF. Am I off base or crazy or would this work?

Thanks
Another option is the NO.CO 2 bank chargers. They are specifically designed that they can charge 2 12V batteries whether they are independent or if they are wired in series.

I have the gen5x2 in my truck, as do several others, and it works great.

DEA AK

Another option is the NO.CO 2 bank chargers. They are specifically designed that they can charge 2 12V batteries whether they are independent or if they are wired in series.

I have the gen5x2 in my truck, as do several others, and it works great.
Thank you very much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks