• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To mod or restore, that is the question.

Sikorsky502

So I happen to own an M50a1 Ontos, one of the most rare armored vehicles in private hands, and I'm conflicted about wether I should try and do a complete restoration or do something custom, like the m114 that have come out of west Georgia tactical. The problem is that the military stopped using the ontos back in vietnam due to lack of parts, so finding parts is next to impossible. Just want everyone's opinion on this topic.

FrankUSMC

Restore it, or pass it on to some one who will. They have been restored before. It is a 1950s vehicle made by a company that is out of business, so it will not be easy. It is a one of a kind vehicle that every Viet Nam age Marine recognizes, and has a soft spot in his heart for. Remember it is a vehicle made for the Army, they did not want it, the Marines took it and a legend was born. It can hide behind a dumpster, jump out and put any enemy into orbit.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

Well you own 1/11th of an Ontos so far :)

My vote is get the lower hull restored to original, repair the upper hull and interior to as close to original as possible, and do whatever you like with the turret WITHOUT modifying beyond being able to put it back original. That way if/when you find the recoilless rifles and spotting rifles you can make it original, but until then you can have something that at least 'looks' cool and is functional.

You can even make a complete new upper hull since the upper hull bolts on, just DON'T EVER scrap the upper hull that is there. I see no problem doing whatever you want to it so long as it is not modified beyond the point of returning to original by a future (possible) owner.

Sikorsky502

Soon to be 2/11th owner. Lol. Well with the extra parts you found and the parts I've found for her I think I'll stick to a restoration, although I do really like the custom stuff I've seen on here though. I think if it was an M114 Id go a different route, but being that it is so rare I think I'll return her to her former glory.

That is why I was so torn on keeping it! I really didn't want to try and source all the parts to restore it original, not really sure where you found parts but between what you and I found I think it makes the restoration option a much better option.

However, since everything needed to make it run is on the lower hull, at least you can do a restore on the lower hull and have it running/driving, leaving it fully mobile/useable while you restore the upper hull.

Sikorsky502

That's a good point. I can optimistically say that with the parts I've found for it that it will be running and driving under its own power in less than a year. So looking forward to taking her mudding. Lol

Jeepsinker

Looks a lot better with the upper hull set on properly and all of the junk out of it. So you did end up with the proper engine huh? Was it the one that was sitting between the two connexes in the back?

jdmcm

In the end it is your vehicle and ultimately your choice...I don't think anyone can fault a guy for doing what he can on his own budget to enjoy his vehicle. And remember not all military vehicles remain stock or un modified their entire lives, we have an M50 Sherman that began life as a 105mm M4A3, the Israeli's "modified" it with a 460 Cummins V8 Diesel and HVSS suspension off a M44 GMC self propelled gun. So should we "restore" it to the WW2 turnout as it was first built with VVSS and a 105mm? Many say yes...many say the Israeli upgrades are historically significant as it shows signs of actual battle damage, not range damage. In the end I think it is more important that the vehicle is saved from the scrap heap by an owner who will get it out for the public to see..I for one would rather see a vehicle out running around and attending events than a 100 point concourse restoration that sits locked away lest it get dirty or damage an un obtainable component. A great example of this is Fred Kagers M4A3E8, 8V71 Detroit Diesel, gas firing main gun, to see it in action at Brent Mullins was a real treat...not "correct" but nobody seemed to mind...

FrankUSMC

jdmcm
I am on board with your statement, yes, modify to get it going it does not have to be a trailer queen, but the vehicle he was referring to is off the charts in his first post. I am sure, if Fred would have showed up at Brent Mullens with his M4A3E8 painted black, and a M60 mounted on the turret, it might not have been so warmly welcomed.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
PS, I could have gotten an Israeli M50 Sherman for $25,000, just down the road from me, and had TWO to pick from!, but I had orders to Japan.......

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I happen to own an M50a1 Ontos, one of the most rare armored vehicles in private hands, and I'm conflicted about wether I should try and do a complete restoration or do something custom, like the m114 that have come out of west Georgia tactical. The problem is that the military stopped using the ontos back in vietnam due to lack of parts, so finding parts is next to impossible. Just want everyone's opinion on this topic.
It is easy to say go ahead and restore it to original, but I would opt for doing just that if I could.

I have attached some pictures of a Ontos restored to whet your appetite. My very best wishes for you and the Ontos future.

Regards,
Gordon

Attachments

Another Ahab

Sometimes A Middle Way Works

In the end it is your vehicle and ultimately your choice...In the end I think it is more important that the vehicle is saved from the scrap heap by an owner who will get it out for the public to see..I for one would rather see a vehicle out running around and attending events than a 100 point concourse restoration that sits locked away lest it get dirty or damage an un obtainable component.
jdmcm
I am on board with your statement, yes, modify to get it going it does not have to be a trailer queen, but the vehicle he was referring to is off the charts in his first post.
Middle Way.jpg

Last edited:

jdmcm

I see what your saying Frank, I guess we should clarify, one thing to restore to its original style or customize it like WG Tactical does with the vehicles he builds, which I have to say, love them or hate them, his work is amazing! (I'm in the love them camp on WG Tactical's builds by the way) As for the Ontos, unless you plan major hull surgery like the guy in the Uk who stretched an FV432 and made a limo out if it, there is very little that can't be reversed later as you come across the "correct" parts. Remember the Pz IV restored in England but powered by a FV432 engine? That was done so the vehicle could run and drive and attend events while a suitable or serviceable original engine was sourced..