• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To Paint or Not?

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As mentioned on my other post today, the truck is comming apart faster now. But, I am wondering if I should paint the fenders before re-assembly? My thought is to media blast and prime and then wait till assembly to paint. Looks like the factory did that as you can see in the pictures the old red primer shows under where the fender brackets are. So, they must have been painted on the truck. My fear is I will scratch the new paint during assembly as in taking the fenders off you need to really jocky them around for clearance. Especially the drivers side.

Attachments

3dAngus

I would paint them off. Then install. It will help keep any future rust off the unpainted items once mounted. Just be careful on the install. Pros do it this way all the time. You'll need a second person for the install and you should be OK.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would do as 3dAngus said, but after the entire truck is assembled scuff and shoot the whole truck. That way all the bolts ect. will match.

GUNNY 155

Been working on a frame off restoration of My M37 now for about a year. Primed and painted painted almost each part or sub assy as I went. Very pleased with the resuls. Built a lot of 1/48 scale aircraft and 1/35 scale MV models so I look at the M37 like I am building a 1 to 1 scale MV model kit.