• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To Rebuild or not to Rebuild TH400

What should I do about my Transmission?

• Rebuilt Th400 yourself

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Put in a 700r4

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Have Pros Rebuilt

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Stock up on Ammunition and dig a hole to hide from a liberal government

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bobert

The Transmission shop says my m1009's TH400 needs rebuilt. I've been doing some research and I think I might be able to do this over my thanksgiving break. AAMCO wants $1400 to do it.

I always thought I wanted a 700r4, but I am wondering if my tranny was sucking causing me to get consistent 15-16mpg. Is a 700r4 worth it or should I stick with the TH400?

pc3nmcb

1400.00 dollars is awful steep. You would save alot of money if you pulled it yourself, then found a good local shop. I haven't had one rebuilt in a long time, but it was only about 400.00 then. Just my thought.

m35tech

Rebuilding a trans is not that hard , just take your time, ive rebuilt ford AODE which are a *&(*& as well as a 700r4, parts rebuild kits from places range about 250-300, and replace the torque converter

pulling it yourself saves huge coin...i watched a competent tech tear down a complete 4l80 in 35 minutes.it was rebuilt 3 hours later.a thm-400 is about the easist auto trans to rebuild yourself.
nothing fancy inside.does the 1400 include removal/install? and a new torque?

if it includes both then 1400 is not that bad at all.

K45

The 700r4s have come a long way. If you do alot of Highway driving looking into a 700r4 could be good. You will have to get a matching Tcase and possibly driveshafts. The 208 from the 400 does not bolt up to the 700r4. (different spline count if I remember)

Last edited:

Alex400

If anything, don't have aamco do it if you have it done by somebody. My buddy needed his trans rebuilt so we looked online for reviews and we didn't find one good one. Took it to another shop (two man job) started to tear it down and it turned out all it needed was a couple pieces. Save him somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 bucks. Do some research and find a nice independent shop do it if you are going have it done by someone else.

jwaller

I build trannies for a living and the 400 is about the easiest one out there. if you cant find anybody I can do it for $500 and shipping to and from is about $200.

Ronbo

Jwaller is telling correctly.. I had a trans shop for years and still do some on the side.. The 400 is probably the easiest to rebuild and the strongest.. I'd stay with it.. and $500.oo plus S/H is a good deal!!

Mike_Pop

I had one rebuilt for $700, with the torque converter. It's for sale and located in Nevada if you are interested. I've just been keeping it as a spare but so far, the one I have (which was rebuilt also) is running strong.

Croatan_Kid

I've done three or four 700R4s, a TH350 and swapped tailshafts, and a TH400 and swapped tailshafts as well. The fastest one I did was a 700R4 in an 85 Camaro, I had it out, rebuilt, back in and running in less than 4 hours :-D

Oh, you'll be happy to know that a 700R4/NP208 and a Th400/NP208 are exactly the same length and requires no changes to the crossmember, mounts, or driveshafts :twisted:

Bobert

Thanks for the input guys, due to my extreme lack of income, I am leaning towards doing it my self and keeping the th400. Although overdrive would be nice...

Word on the grapevine is a buddy's buddy has a 454/th400/np205 for $800, rebuilt 30k ago. I would have to switch a few parts probably and my other truck does need a 454 haha.

I need to to some more research to find out what i am getting into. I assume that I need a new torque converter and seal and clutches. Not sure if i need servos and bands or oil pump and all that good stuff.

Jwaller, Thanks, That does sound like a good deal and I know it would be done right.
Mike pop, Thats a sweet deal too. I'll see how it goes for now. It's good to know I've got options.

Bobert

I definately won't go to AAMCO. I've not heard good things either. If it somes to it I know there are some good shops around here and I'll likely pull it myself.

Man that 700r4 is tempting though. I'd like the better first and overdrive.
It sounds like It would work better without the 3.08s though.

I'l see what I can find in the way of 700r4s.

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Even if you have a shop do the rebuild pull it yourself. Around here most shops will rebuild a non-OD Turbo Hydromatic trans for several hundred bucks. They aren't hard to do or costly so it's just labor that gets you.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Only kinda a hijack on this thread.

I consider this a very good thread. I never know what a decent price is for engine/trans/transfer case work. Now I have some idea what the rough estimate would be to rebuild the spare transmission I have.

My spare engine, transmission, and transfer case (currently in my parts vehicle) worked fine when the vehicle was turned in to DRMO (according to the unit). There are no know problems other than the fact the vehicle sat for about a year to 18 months before I got it. I can't start it to test it but I think it is ok.

I want to have the compression checked and all gaskets and seals replaced in all 3 items. I will be pulling the components myself. My intent is to search for a local shop and will not do AAMCO. So just for getting the compression check and the gaskets/seals replaced, any idea what I should look at for a decent price on the engine and transfer case?

Texis

Stay with the 400.

The 700 has a lower 1st gear (+)....but Over Drive +3.08 gears is just ugly(-) I couldn't image lugging the engine like that at higway speeds. I would guess it would be turning something like 1400 rpm going 60-65. Gross.

"Most" chevy trucks that ran the 700 had gears that were 3.42, 3.73 or 4.10. The "standard / OEM" ratio for 4x4 chevy's with 700's was 3.73, 98 & up....I believe.

IMHO, you would create a real dog, a bit quicker of the line....but really ugly on the highway, or around town.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks