• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

to recover or not to recover M105A2

jedawson1

My M923A1 has developed a front axel hub leak, i just discovered it yesterday when I noticed one drop on the inside tire below the grease fitting.

I won a M105A2 trailer about 90 miles (180 round trip) from my house that I need to recover. I've submitted my EUC and expect to be cleared for pick up within 2 weeks, which leaves me 3weeks to recover. One of those weeks I will be on vacation out of state. So between work and vacation I don't have a lot of time to repair the hub.

My Poll question is this, can I live with the leak and make the trip or is replacing the hub seals necessary prior to the recovery?

This is my first axel leak and its timing couldn't be better, but hey Murphy has to make a living too. I don't know if these things are like an engine leak that comes on slow or if they just go out in a "Blaze of Oil".

Post your response, if you have the parts I need to replace the seals, PM me.

Pic's attached because we all like to look :D

Thank You
Jedawson

Attachments

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Typically the leak you describe is from the oil seals and not the hub grease. Check the oil level in the front axle and check the vent fitting on the axle as well. Plugged vents can cause over-pressurization in the axles and lead to leaking. If it's just gear oil, I'd just keep an eye on the oil level and drive on for that short of a drive. YMMV!

3dAngus

Save fuel. Most Any modern day 1/2 pickup will haul it empty. Just take the top down to cut down on the wind resistance, and stay out of traffic. Give yourself longer lead for braking between vehicles and put up some magnetic lights. No way I would drive a 5 ton just to pick up an empty M105.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good point. I picked up my M105's and M101's with nothing more than my Jeep Wrangler (4 door).

wsucougarx

Save fuel. Most Any modern day 1/2 pickup will haul it empty. Just take the top down to cut down on the wind resistance, and stay out of traffic. Give yourself longer lead for braking between vehicles and put up some magnetic lights. No way I would drive a 5 ton just to pick up an empty M105.
:ditto:

jedawson1

You can even rent a pick up at home depot if you don't have one
I may just rent a truck from Home Depot, my daily driver is a '04 Nissan Frontier. The Frontier would probably work, If I remember the TM correctly the 105 weighs around 1400lbs empty and I haul a pop up camper of similar weight with the nissan just fine (never in a hurry).

But for saftey sake the Home Depot trucks would be the way to go and not cost too much.

Patracy, thanks for reminding me of the vent's, when I'm at Home Depot I'll pick up the parts to install the axel vent mod I found in the search tool.

Last but not least, if you know of a good source for the seals please let me know I don't like having a truck out of commision so I need to collect the parts to repair after vacation.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
weight I think is 2750lbs empty.

I have towed m105's with my Dodge Durango with no problem. Your frontier should be no problem. Take down the tarp, bows and fence so it does not drag, also makes it easier to see behind & next to you you when towing as that is one big boy with tarp on it in comparison to a suv. Ask me how I know. I love how people stare at you towing one of those. :D

As noted earlier, That seems like a very slow minor leak. Mine drip/ooze a drop of oil every so often and leave no puddle or large stain. I think you would be fine after verifying the oil level is ok in the pumpkin.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good advice on towing it with a civi pick up or similar vehicle. So-so advice on the Home Depot rental, your's may not allow towing, or even be set up for towing.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've pulled a Deuce and a 105 at the same time with my pickup but it's a Dodge so I expected to handle it.

jedawson1

Recovery was easy, used a buddy's Tundra. Figured it was safer than my Nissan Frontier even though its within the tow rating, stoping was my concern it the hills of TN. Trailer is in great shape and had been in service recently, had new tires a good tarp and wiring and hoses look new. With fees it cost me $355 plus lunch and fuel for 180 miles round trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks