• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To restore or rebuild... a newb's dilemma

ReyAce

Hi fellas, newb here.

This site is such an awesome resource which has helped me tremendously so far, I figured I'd throw out my dilemma too for some feedback.

I recently wound up becoming the owner of a 1968 M101A1, mostly by accident. A guy in a local FJ Cruiser club picked one up for cheap intending to make a camping trailer out of it, then changed his mind. I wound up trading him my small plywood trailer for it, which cost me about $350, so... I couldn't resist. :-D

For being 43 years old it's in fairly good shape. It needs to be gone over removing rust and filling holes, but apart from a 7-way connector put on it by the first owner, it's mostly original, only missing bows & gates. It was on a farm so it was never registered, so I guess it was never modified for anything either.

So far the only stuff I've needed to buy are a new wiring harness, new tailgate pins, and new clevises. After I put those on, the thing will technically be "restored" to original equipment. The rust removal, paintjob, re-lubrication of axle and moving parts, that's all bonus points.

And there lies my dilemma. :(

In its original state, the trailer is kind of impractical. It sits very high, has rims/tires that would require me to carry an additional spare (instead of just my truck's), its heavy as **** and difficult to move around with no wheel/jack in the front, and with the original camo paintjob it now sports, it looks kind of goofy behind my blue/white FJ. So the thing screams to be modified. Here's a few changes that quickly come to mind:

• Remove axle and replace with a lighter one
  • Have replacement axle include bolt pattern to match FJ rims
  • Have replacement axle include electric brakes
  • Add swing-down wheel in front to make it more moveable
  • Replace small tail lights with gama lenses
  • Include turn signals off a HUMV or something for greater visibility
  • Add additional wiring and reverse lights
  • Since paint needs stripping and body needs treating, repaint with a color that matches the truck
This is all totally practical stuff that would suit my needs a lot more, but I'll be honest... the idea of customizing it bothers the he|| out of me. I feel like I'm ruining a little piece of history or something... But at the same time I go eh what the heck, it's just a frickin trailer, who cares? Modify away, make it work for me. Then not long after I think that, I feel bad about modifying it away from all-original. And I've been going round and round with this for weeks now!

So what do you guys think... should I massacre the historical value of this thing and just be practical, or give it a complete "restore" instead?? aua

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a piece of history, but it's Your piece of history now. Do what you like with it. Your description above sounds like you have a great plan to convert it into what you want and need. Go for it.2cents

edit, and share pics and info with us as you go!

ReyAce

I think the two biggest things discouraging me on the "restore" front is that I can't for the life of me find bows and gates locally here in Vegas. I've found some for great prices on Ebay, but they're all local pickup and impossible to get to. So the trailer without bows and gates is... well, kinda half a trailer, ain't it. The other thing is how high it sits... it will be a little bit of a trick to get it to just sit level on the truck. (The FJ spare on the back door might interfere with a raised hitch.)

I swear... normally I'm not so indecisive... but this project has really got me on the fence! :)

Firejareen

Several memebers have gotten trailers and modified them or re-hashed them to work as needed. I do not think anyone would care either way what you chose to do. To make it fit sounds like the best for you. As has been stated, its yours...do what you want. So I again say modify it to suit.

koolex11

Sounds like a good trade. What are you planning to do with it? Occasional utility hauler, expedition trailer or both?

No matter what you replace on it, you will still have a very heavy trailer with that box and frame. I think it will always be over 1000 pounds. I hear you about the spare though. I wouldn't want to have to carry 2.

If you want racks and bows, maybe you can get an eBay seller to take them apart and sell you the metal. The A1 bow kits have wooden legs and cross pieces with metal elbows and slides. Same with the racks. Then you can cut your own wood and have fresh to work with. If restoring, you would probably consider doing that anyway. I sold a bow set that way, and everything fits into a beer box. $25 I think to ship from PA to MO. Rack hardware is probably much heavier.

ReyAce

I've scoured ebay like a pro for weeks but have had no luck with bows/gates... they all ask for "local pickup only". The closest I came was a full set for $150 in Hesperia California, but that's a 7 hour round trip from Vegas. Boo.

You might be on to something with cutting the wood off and just shipping the metal... I'll keep that in mind, maybe I can convince someone heh. Thanks!

Ressoldier

Ok here is my input and take it however. I picked up a quasi M101 A2 from GL a couple months ago with plans to turn into a expo trailer/ hauler to tow behind my 4 Runner. I say quasi because it has an A1 box, A2 axle and tongue, A3 main frame. I recently sold the complete axle and a-frame tongue portion. I am replacing with my own fabricated tongue and custom Dexter axle. The axle is a 3500# axle with 10x2.25 electric brakes and the cable parking brake feature lug pattern to match my Runner. I figure when I am sleeping in the trailer I wouldnt want it to roll off on its own.

Modify it to work for you, restore if you are bitten by the Green Iron bug and plan to get more MV's. If you modify I would suggest painting white to match roof of your truck for resale reasons.

** I have the bows and gates**

ReyAce

Man you guys rule... already got an offer from someone to send me the bows & gates for a hundred bucks + shipping... that's awesome. If that deal somehow falls through, I'll be in touch ;)

I thought about it all day today, whether to customize or restore... and I'm gonna customize it. I kinda hate to do it because I'm pretty much a freak when it comes to history... if you remember Indiana Jones and his famous line, "It belongs in a MUSEUM!!" yeah that's pretty much me. But ya know... practicality is practicality, and "restored" just won't serve my purposes much. And besides, what good is a restored trailer if you don't have something restored to PULL it! heh

So yeah... I guess my little project is underway. I'll add pics and things as I go, cuz everyone loves a good build thread no?

Thanks for your input fellas.

ReyAce

Well here's the first wave of parts in... managed to scoop up TWO jack/wheels for sixty bucks... pretty good? They are from an M105, I'm guessing?

Since the mount doesn't exist on my trailer, I'm thinking of just welding a piece of pipe with drilled holes in it for a mount... unless anyone has any better ideas than that?

On a side note... I wonder if I figured out how to post an image or not lol :razz:

Attachments

littlebob

Do what you want with it. My Dad was always a firm believer in enjoy it while your here. He's gone now, but he would say do what you want and enjoy! He always said ther was no sense in spending hard earned money on the guns/vehicles if he couldn't get enjoyment out of using them. If you have money enough to do both and want to use them as investment, thats OK too!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks