• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To single or not to single

SierraHotel

Okay, looking at my options here since the right rear outer dual decided to commit suicide.
A. Can I pull the wheel and run without it (short 10 mile hops mind you) until I decide what the *%&#@ I’m going to do? I would prefer not to have the fire department following me. :!:
B. Do I need to upsize to flip the hubs and run singles on the rears or can I do it with the 9.00X20’s? :?:

Pinkie

You can run 9.00x20s on a single. You can run with one tire on the axle instead of duals. I am currently doing that because I am too lazy to re install the outter dual just yet. If you go the singles you will have no spares on the duals incase of a flat. I would recommend staying with the duals just because of that idea.

Thanks,

J.R.

Towman2277

The bearing issue from what I understand isn't an issue unless you load the truck heavily. I've run about 1000 miles since I pulled my outer duals, checked the bearings last week, and they were in great shape, just like when I checked them after I got the truck. And i'm toting a 7,000 lb. flatbed on the back! Whew!!

jwaller

I wound never do singles bc personally I hate the way it looks esp with smaller stock or near stock tires. they just look like you have neutered them or something. kinda like a cat thats had his body shaved.

Towman2277

I pulled mine (I've got 14:00's,hardly small tires!) to help with turning, acceleration and braking. You will notice a HUGE difference if you pull the outer duals. When you remove the tires and rims, your reducing whats called "un-sprung weight", which greatly helps. Plus, I didn't have 10 perfect tires. I kept the best ones on the truck, and put the excellent ones on the steer axle. I also found a local fella' who will sell NEW 14:00's for $70.00 a wheel, with ten bolt rim for a five ton. WOW!! Even with the option of new tires, i'll still keep it singled, and do a hub flip whenever I do the rear brakes some day.

jkelly66

good price on them tires. I like my duals because thats they way I remember them when I was still in the army. Might seem like a silly reason to keep them that way but in my case the only reason I bought one of these monsters was to feel like I was getting up and hanging out with an old friend.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like my duals for a couple of reasons. One is they look beefier. I've always liked the duals even though I know that the singled out truck is better off road. Like the increased capacity and the safety of having 8 rears vs 4 and I like them on the tracotr as it has no provision to carry a spare.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Well...

I prefer duals for several reasons:

The look. Yeah, I am shallow (I agree with JWaller's comments above).
The extra wheels I can pull in case of multiple flats.
Dual rears can be used as a winch in case of the need for rearward recovery-I believe it's in the FM for recovery (or maybe a PS Magazine) Wrap a tow strap between the two duals, put the truck in reverse and the 2 wheels act as a winch drum, pulling the truck backwards.

rmgill

Re: RE: Well...

clinto said:
I prefer duals for several reasons:

The look. Yeah, I am shallow (I agree with JWaller's comments above).
The extra wheels I can pull in case of multiple flats.
Dual rears can be used as a winch in case of the need for rearward recovery-I believe it's in the FM for recovery (or maybe a PS Magazine) Wrap a tow strap between the two duals, put the truck in reverse and the 2 wheels act as a winch drum, pulling the truck backwards.
Actually, you can do this with singles too. Add a spare wheel to a singled wheel station and you have a ready made capstan winch. There's space to bolt up a wheel too for temporary use.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Well...

Unless you got those big wheels or m135 wheels. The procedure is coverd in TM 20-22 field expedients. Besides having a TM I also keep this FM in each of my trucks.

Katch1

will probobly go to 1100-20's when I get reloacated, no time at present.

Can't make up my mind between ndcc or mich xls, any opinions on this?

FreightTrain

Banned

I think singles look too narrow in the rear.Too much bed overhang.The NDCC's don't SUCK the wet.They might not be very good but if you drive with your brain you won't have any problem.Most people get a deuce and think this thing is indestructable and can do anything.When I drove mine I kept it in my mind that I have a underpowered,7ton truck with not the best brakes and tire package for Civilian driving but never had an issue except one time when I took a turn a little fast.I turned the wheels on a wet road at a T intersection and could feel the massive understeer until the truck had slowed down enough to get traction.All tires suck on wet road if driven wrong.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll stick with the duals myself. 8 tires can carry more than 4. I load mine and i don't think i could loose the ability to work it when i need to. I will be swapping to 11.00's though. But i'll still have ten. Mcinfantry's truck is done this way. I looks a lot better IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks