• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To single or not to single

rmgill

Re: RE: Re: RE: Well...

Katch1 said:
will probobly go to 1100-20's when I get reloacated, no time at present.

Can't make up my mind between ndcc or mich xls, any opinions on this?
go with 1100s until you can find and afford the 1100x20 radials. I have single 1100s now and the ride is better and handling tighter in parking lots. Less scrubbing too. We'll see how milage goes for my next trip to PA.

One other aspect is that radials don't have as much sidewall strength, so you can kill a tire by "bruising" the sidewall easier.

jwaller

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Well...

def do 11's. I did and it gave me either better mileage or about 5 extra mph. depends on how you drive it. I also have a lockout hub on my front tandem and it eliminated all the scrubbing on that set of wheels. mileage went up and turning radius went down.

Towman2277

10 tires DO carry more weight, but how many actually max out the trucks all the time anyway?! I know a few of us actually work the trucks, but not all, so its a preference thing, if you need the extra tire, or not.

m.walker

Don't forget those bigger tires generaly have a higher weight capacity also , one of my xzl's can almost carry the weight of my whole truck !

ida34

The 900 series 5 ton we used for hauling our howitzer had super singles on it. It was rare to see a 900 series with duals and they looked funky with duals. We carried a lot of HE rounds in the back of those trucks in addition to all the extra equipment. The HEMITT was rated at 10 tons and still used singles. I think the problem is when you just take off one of the rear duals without making a tire change. For example, keeping the 9x20 on the deuce instead of putting 11x20 on in place of the smaller tire. Even so, I have never had my deuce even close to gross weight and singling out on 9x20 tires would not compromise my mission capability at home.

red devils dude

dont forget if you have a winch you are just about at capacity for the front 9.00 tire's that's part of the reason I'm going to 11.00's.

houdel

The rear axle bearing issue is not a problem unless you are carrying a heavy load on the truck. You can run either single inner or outer duals without a problem. I agree, standard 9:00-20s look pretty sucky as rear singles, with or without a rear hub flip. However, if you do the rear hub flip and upgrade to 385R20s, 15.50R20s or similar, you get the advantages of a great looking set of tires all around, near the same load capacity, and a lot better handling as all the tires are in the same track. Disadvantages - best done with custom 10" rims, cost of the tires, and you'd probably want to carry a second spare tire somewhere.

Katch1

rmgill- yes I think I agree with you, 1100 ndcc are so cheap, its a crime not to try them. Then will already have the hub flip done, so if xls get your attention, you are ready to go. Hopefully this summer I'll getit accomplished.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks