• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To start or not to start when wait light is on

portert0224

Greetings to everyone,
My wait light worked just fine the first day or two after all 8 glow plugs (Wellman 70) were replaced and a new GPR (ST85) was installed. Now the wait light stays on up to 1:30 before I turn the key off. I don't dare go longer for fear of swelling the glow plugs. When this first happened, the temps were in the 20s, so I thought it was just cold. But today it is 57 and still the wait light won't go out. I can hear the GPR cycling on and off but the wait light doesn't go out. I did start the engine on one turn of the key when the light was on just to see if it would be hard to start--it wasn't--it fired right up. I could her the GPR cycle on and off and after a few minutes the wait light would go off (coinciding with the GPR cycling stopping). The truck ran fine and subsequent starts went fine with no wait light on (apparently no wait light issue when the engine is warm).

I really need to use the vehicle as it is my only 4x4 to reach livestock that I need to feed. So, I need to know what I am damaging, if anything, if I start the engine while the wait light is on (until I have time to do the full TM troubleshooting), and secondly, do you think it is the GPM card, or do you think it is the GP switch?
Thanks in advance.
Tracy

cucvrus

MY opinion. Recheck your glow plugs. I never had any luck with Wellmans. I had guys give them to me 2 dozen at a time. They failed everytime. I use 13G AC Delco. But that's me do as you wish. But I think you have failure again in the glow plugs. Do a removal and check them. Get an eye on them. About 15 minutes you can have them out. Unless they swelled. Then??????

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then the fun starts!

I only had to do one
Hope never again!

AC Delco 60gs flawless so far

portert0224

Did I mention that the new Wallmans have about 3 hours of run time on them? Does this information change your opinion? I just find it hard to believe that anyone would get only 3 hours of run time off brand new glow plugs.

tim292stro

If you have a problem with your system where say a wire to a glow plug or two is bad, you can eat new glow plugs in a few start attempts. If your glow relay never opens, you can kill brand new glow plugs before you even get into the driver's seat for the first start...

Hard to say if your truck could be doing this without more information.

portert0224

Thanks, I guess I'll follow the TM to test GPs then test each wire from card controller. I printed out these pages for last 2 mechanics to follow and neither followed the step by step TM because they "knew how to trouble shoot J code engines". So now I'm back to square 1 doing it all myself. Wasted $600+ over the past few months.

cucvrus

Bring it up here to PA and drop it off. I will fix it like it was intended to operate. I have done a few for other members here. Just making the offer. It looks like spring is coming soon. I will have some time for some smaller projects. If not now is a good time to learn the system. Fairly simple if you don't go cobbling it up.

Skinny

I don't think your solenoid should be cycling on and off numerous times. I personally from what you just said would to install AC 60g's. For the $60 it will cost, you will have a better plug and will know if the plugs where the culprit. Kill two birds with one stone. If it still acts up, I would go through the typical troubleshooting.