• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Toasted M813 Battery

ShermHook

I decided to take the 813 for a joy ride today. It as about 25 degrees at startup. I followed the cold weather starting procedure. After two attempts cranking for about 30 seconds each she reluctantly started. Drove about 20 miles and parked. When I went to put her away for the night I turned on the battery accessory switch, hit the ignition switch and got nothing.
I took a look in the battery box and right away noticed that I had a toasted battery. The case and lead near the + treminal was melted. As you can see from the picture I definitely had a loose connection. I suspect this is the culprit but I wonder if there might be an issue elsewhere (short in starter?) I should check out before I stick another battery in there and fry it too. I previously had a battery drain that I thought fixed when I found a direct short under the hood. Could these be related somehow?

photo.JPG

Triple C

Same thing happened to me. I thought I had everything tight but apparently I didn't. I am still running this battery but I know it is only a matter of time..... I am currently running a two battery set up but going to four when I can afford two more. You may have a short, I don't know, but I do know a loose terminal will cause what you posted. Good luck!

Attachments

danny81

Thanks yall, just had this happen yesterday, I found that my neg cable clamp had cracked and apparently worked itself loose and melted the post. I suspected that was the cause but this post helps confirm that