• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tobyhanna modified mep-803a assistance

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Looking for assistance with a Tobyhanna modified MEP-803a

The Tobyhanna Depot makes a modification to the diagnostic port for remote panel monitoring.

Has any member found information to reset this mod? Any pointers to change things back to normal?

tobyhanna mod.JPG
Modified "10KW Unmanned Aircraft Systems Universal Power Pack Trailer" (A1-38431D).

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?157785-MEP-803A-W-Remote-Monitor-Panel-Modification

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?174565-Going-through-auction-803a

Guyfang

Staff member
View attachment Scan0001.pdf

I hope you can read the above document. The long and short of it is that the document concerning the Modification to the MEP-803A is not to be sent, copied, used or disclosed by anyone not in the need to know group, of which we are part of. That's the bad news.

The good news, is all you need to do is remove the "foreign" wires, and reattach the normal wire harness, as I suspected. There is another mod, done to BOTH, (I think) electric fuel pumps. A thermostat was added to the auxiliary fuel pump, to keep it from burning up, should the auxiliary fuel tank go dry. Remember, this thing is supposed to be left someplace without supervision. The thermostat is attached to the electric fuel pump with epoxy, and hooked up to the electric fuel pump wire harness, P-21. If the pump runs without pumping fuel for a certain amount of time, and gets hot, the thermostat cuts the pump out of the system, to prevent overheating and eventual damage. In any case, its on the Aux pump. Check the main pump. Some were modified, some were not. While I think its a good idea in this application, I don't feel like its needed. Your decision.

As I also could not read the document, I suspect that this is about all you need. My friend told me its straight forward, just remove the wires and reattach the old ones. You CAN write Tobyhanna, and ask for permission to get and use the document. I can get the address if you want to do that. But I don't think its worth the time and effort, unless you want to keep the gen set modified.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes. There is a plug, you can insert, and then you can use the gen set normally, just like before. If you are wire smart, it should take you a few minuets to figure out how to jump the system. But why? Simply take it off. You are a HAM, should not take you long to figure it out. But, again, why?

jamawieb

harness.jpg
Here is an image of the wiring diagram for the monitoring system. They attached it to the lid that covers the gauges. If you wanted to keep the monitoring harness in place, just jump pin G to H for the Emergency Stop and then O to P for the DC amp gauge to work correctly. I went ahead and removed the complete harness which took about 20 minutes to take it out and replace the old diagnostic port. The diagnostic port was nicely wrapped in plastic, tucked in the back with the cap. So it was easy to put back. They also do not cut any wires, they put a small bolt through the connectors and then wrap them in heat shrink. Really easy to put back to stock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks