• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tobyhanna's 100th Anniversary Open House June 23rd.

Srjeeper

At tonights Redball Meeting a gentelman from the Tobyhanna Army Depot came and spoke to the club.

This year is the Depots 100th Anniversary and they are going to have an Openhouse for the public June 23rd..
They would like as many Military Vehicles and Organizations as possible to come out, set up and help them celebrate this milestone.

Friday June 22nd. will be set up day...and there will be round the clock security for all display vehicles! They have much planned for the saturday show....like .... 2 jumps by the Black Knights....vehicle rides, Military demonstrations and a Car Show plus much more.

There will be refreshments and food for sale and the proceeds go to several Military & Veteran organizations like Wounded Warriors.

They do ask that you pre-register if your bringing a Military Vehicle to Exihibit or a display.

I attached all the contact info at the bottom.

So sign up and come join us as we celebrate Tobyhanna's 100th Birthday here in Monroe County, Pa..

Point of Contact for registration info...
Walter Dorosky ~ 570-615-8150 or
E-mail ~ WALTER.G.DOROSKY.CIV@MAIL.MIL

Srjeeper

Too bad they can't have the vehicle shows there like they used to.

Not worth the drive for one day for me.

That was addressed at last nights meeting. The unfortunate truth of the matter is, should we find ourselves in a situation like 9/11/2001 again, they would have to close down the base, thereby leaving the Redball Show without a home.

So it's been decided that for all envolved, staying where we are at the estabilished location is our best choice.
Like it or not things are what they are in this day and age.

While it may not be worth your while to make the drive, there are thousands anticipated to be attending and it promises to be an exceptional one time event.

Hey everyone, if you want to stay overnight there is a motel just by Tobyhanna with three huge parking lots that are friends of mine. I asked them if they would give a break to people from the Steel Soldiers group. Lodging for the Steel Soliders members would only be $40 for the night. I talked to the owners and they were willing to give members a break. You can call them at 570-243-4600. :)

Srjeeper

If you want to display your vehicle, you must register with them ahead of time and all that info is in the first post.

The RedBall Club & the MTA of No.Jersey Clubs will be having vehicles on display and I'm sure there's several others involved also.

The Depot is expecting well over 10k in just visitors for the day, so times runnin out to get on board.

Srjeeper

This is not a Swapmeet/Show, it's an Openhouse for the Base as it's celebrating it's 100th. year.

We've been informed they have nearly 70 vehicles registered, which is about 50 more than they expected, so their running short on vehicle space.

It's open to the public...there will be tours of the base, a car show, entertainment and the Black Knights are scheduled to do 2 jumps, but weather will be the big determining factor for various activities.

This is a 1 day only event...if your bringing a vehicle for the Car Show or want to display your MV, you must first be registered...see the first post on this thread for that info..[thumbzup]

Srjeeper

They'll be rollin in all day from what I can gather Dan....I'll get there around noon with some friends from MTA...and spend the night....how bout you???

HAWKMAN

Bill, I'll be heading up around 9:00am with the duece...then (around 6:00pm) will head up with the Hawk and maybe the 151 if I can talk the son into towing it up there:roll: I won't be able to bring the 1008 due to it not being inspected so I can only do three for this event...looking forward to a day off Saturday and having some fun!:jumpin:

Srjeeper

Our own 'nickd' was on the morning news along with others already there and at noon they showed even more of whats to come. Most will be rolling in tomorrow, but this is shaping up to be a really great 'Openhouse', so ya really should plan to come have a look.

The schedule has already been posted..weather is predicted to be 80 & Sunny...we'll see ya there...:jumpin:

Staffsargent

Just got back from the show. A total of a whole 22 MV's there! Had a great time! Great food!
5 Clubs showed up. CJMMP, Red Ball NY-Penn, MTA, N.H.. I'll post pics soon.

Srjeeper

Tobyhanna's Openhouse AAR

Friday 0830
'FormerNewMVGuy' rolled into my Motorpool to convoy up to the Depot. Gave our things the once over and headed out for an all Back Roads 24 mile scenic mini Convoy up the mountain to Tobyhanna Army Depot. We rolled into the Depot bout 0945 and were welcomed by the guards with a quick and friendly once over of ID's and in we went.

Found the set up area all layed out with signs for the different decades listed for Historic MV's.
There were only 3 vehicles in those sections and a couple Tracked APCS, 151's, and 2 Vietnam Era Helo's in what I can only guess was the VIP-MV parking area, removed from the other MV parking.

So that made a total of 5 Historic MV's in the non-VIP section and a whole bunch of empty spaces in a 'very large parking lot'! Weather was warm & muggy with a light breeze. Not to long after we arrived, Frank from Canada rolled in with his 1008 & trailer with a 250 on it. Shortly after him, Don rolled in with his M-37 & Dan showed up with his bobber. We all hung out for the rest of the day and waited for others to roll in, but that never happened...we're now up to 8 Historic MV's out of the expected 70 registered.

It's was obvious the folks at the depot had gone to great lengths to prepair for this Openhouse. There were large & small tents set up all around the GIANT parking lot we were in and in another location, we never got to see, there was more of the same.

At 1500 we were told the BBQ's Ribs & other goodies we were smelling cook all day, were gonna be ready if we wanted to buy ourselves some supper. Around 1505 we started walking across the lot to the food section while the clouds darkened. We just about made the Mess Tent when we got hit with a Micro Burst of wind, the likes of which I'd never experienced, and almost 50% of the tents that were set up and all the marking tape in the MV parking areas was blown AWAY!!! It distroyed all the tents that got blown away and damaged some of those left standing. We watched a very large 30'X20' tent with 8-200+lb. cement block anchors get blown down the parking lot 25'(still erected) into 2 civilian pick ups, then collapse over top of them in a twisted mass. Amazingly, outside of the 2 pickups, only one APC in the VIP section was struck by debris and got a few scratches. 'Hawkman's' deuce (one of the orginal 3 that were there when we arrived) was wrapped in red & yellow parking lot tape like a mummy but sustained no damage. We were shocked and amazed at what had just taken place, along with thankfull nothing was destroyed, other than some tents. After that we had sprinkels for about 45 min. then everything setteled down and cooled off the rest of the night for us.

Friday 1600
The men & women of the Depot MWR Teams had their work cut out for them though. First they gathered up all the tents & wreckage, hauled it away. Then they rounded up all the tables, signs & chairs that were blown to who knows where and set about putting everything back up in place. These young folks had it back up and ready for the next days Openhouse by dark!!!
Our hats are off to all those MWR & Depot folks for doing a very unenviable job with dedication and determination!!!!

Saturday 0530
Rolled outta the 'WackyShack' expecting to see all kinds of overnight arrivals, only to find we were still the only 8 there?! Couldn't believe our eyes and started to wonder if this may prove to be a bust. After a coffee & cinnamon bun breakfast we sat back and waited for others to arrive. About 0700 they started rolling in. Mostly spectacular cars for the car show, but a 'FEW MV's' showed up too.

When the gates opened at 0830 there were hundred's of Show Cars, maybe 30 MV's tops. Then came the Thousands of happy, friendly visitors for the remainder of the day.

The MV turnout was so poor they had us in the non-VIP section pick up our set ups mid morning and moved us all to part of one row and used our orginal section for overflow parking. The visitors were great, they really appreciated our vehicles & displays, but were somewhat dismayed at the LACK of MV's, as was I.

(I intend to address this in another thread here on Steel Soldiers that will be titled "Commitment has Responsibilities".)

The base gave tours of the facility, there was live music, Show Cars, Humvee Rides, Black Knights did 2 spectacular jumps, Active Duty Troops gave Fitness & Weapons Demonstrations, food, souvenirs, and 30 Historic MV's.
There was to be a MV parade at the end of things, but me & 'FormerNewMVGuy' pulled out about 1530 to beat the mass exoidus when things wrapped up so someone else can fill ya in on how that went. There were also several folks from the various MV clubs that came (less vehicles) to lend a hand and we can't thank them enough for there assistance and support throughout the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The MV clubs I saw represented were RedBall Military Transport Club, MTA of North Jersey Club, NY-Penn Military Vehicle Collectors Club, and individuals from Canada, Maryland, New Hampshire, NewYork, NewJersey, & of course Pa..

While the fact that LESS Than 50% of those MV's registered bothered to show up, it was still a great Openhouse event! The men and women of the Tobyhanna Army Depot displayed in grand fashion, exactly how they've been able to endure 100 years and still remain our nations "Premiere Military Electronics Repair Facility".

I won't be around for the 200th., but I hope by then, those that are, will stand by their commitment to attend, like the folks at the Tobyhanna Army Depot did to their commtment to put on this show and provide our troops with only the best electronics equipment produced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

HAWKMAN

I stuck around for the parade but decide to 'sit' it out by riding shotgun in Dan's bobber. Didn't count how many made it but I'm thinking maybe a dozen or so,(if anyone has an exact count please let us know). The parade was lead by soldiers in uniform that marched the whole way with flags from all the branches of service. The only incident was when the Kieser staff car decided it had had enough and quit half way up a small hill...fortunately he was able to let it roll into someones driveway and we continued on.All the indiginous personel had come out to cheer us on and it did feel good to see how EVERYONE gave us thumbs up and their support...so I'd say the parade was top shelf. After that it was time to head home. All in all and excellent event that was done extremely well by depo personel.....[thumbzup]

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a great time out there on Saturday. Got to meet fellow SS members and some great personel at Tobyhanna. The staff there is top notch. I was lucky enough to get on the tour of the facility before it got busy and the things they do in there is amazing. Not really sure why there was such a weak MV turnout since the weather was perfect. I would guess 10,000 plus visitors and they were all good people and very respectfull to everyones equipment. Heres a couple pics I snapped. Enjoy.[thumbzup]

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks