• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Today I started my troop seat project

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce (BKubu),

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. Even though this is just a temporary fix-up until I can restore the whole truck, I always try to do neat clean work.

About the prices of the seats. You are right, I could have bought the complete seats used for somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 per side. But, the truck came from GL with the brand new fiberglass headboard, and my wooden seats and headache racks were wood and in very poor shape. I managed to come across the NOS fiberglass seat assemblies for free and they are in good shape. The only thing I didn't have yet was the staves and headache racks. Once Lex_Ordo found the OEM I contacted them to get prices on just the parts I needed so I could compare that versus buying some seats from someone. With the prices they quoted me, It was easier to just buy the 4 headache rack planks and refinish the staves myself. Including paint and the planks, I only have $200 invested in the whole project.

uscgmatt, your guess is as good as mine why that is. Maybe someone else can chime in and answer that question. My wood seats are the same way.

hellrayzor1

Beautiful job!! :)

I need to restore my seats too, but just don't have the ambition at this time. Getting all the mechanical things fixed up first. Since I live in Arizona where the sun tends to destroy anything outside....Do fiberglass troop seats hold up better or would they get crispy fast on the surface like boats around here do??
I am looking for a hardtop to buy also because canvas doesn't have a long life expectancy here either, the top on my cab is in tatters.

Mark (deuce newbie)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the words of praise guys, I really appreciate it. I'll let ya'll know when I move onto my next project and make sure I put pics in that one too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks