• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Today's recovery M55A2

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
EDIT: Truck is now for bid/sale in the classifieds. Starts at $1.

Well, not so much recovery as more in unloading. I gave a lowball offer on a M55A2 (Less than scrap offer), and got it hauled to me for a good price. We unloaded it today. Since it doesn't have brakes, I butted one of my dueces up to the back end of this truck while it was on the low boy and chained the two together. Then pulled it off the trailer. Unfortunately, I was too busy helping get it unloaded to stop and take pics. The driver was very nice and helped me as well. (Ended up having to help him with his lowboy trailer locking pin too). The person listed it as needing batteries and having no brakes. It's a little worse off than that, but not ready for the scrapper. The copper air lines have been cut in a few places. And someone had the return line plumbed into the air line somehow. So I eventually had diesel dripping from the passenger windsheild wiper. :cookoo:

After wiring in a 12V fuel pump and routing the fuel lines BACK the way the should go. I was able to prime the fuel system to the filters. I popped the injector lines off the injectors and jumpered the electrical relay to start the truck over while slaved to my deuce. Got fuel out of the lines pretty quick. Tightened them back down and tried again and 5 seconds of cranking resulted in the engine running. It runs and sounds good. I drove it around about 1500 feet to the field at my friends shop and parked it in the only hole big enough for it. Next to a school bus LOL.

I've got one good battery here that's new, need to get another good one. I'll install them properly into the truck. I didn't seem to get any voltage to the interior of the truck and the master switch didn't seem to do anything. So I'll have to figure out what's wrong with that. I'm hoping the brakes just need a good flushing and topping off since the lines are still there. Then I've got to correct all the cut air lines and throw a spare top on it. Also need some seats and tail lights. Also need a PTO shaft. Seems like every 5 ton I get is missing the PTO driveshat. :roll:

This thing is loooong. I'm not sure what the plans are for it right now. I honestly didn't expect to win it for the offer I made. I'm kicking around the idea of talking to CSI to see if they'd be interested in the bed. They take these beds and install them on 900 series trucks for export. My thoughts were to see if they'd be interested in the bed to swap for a 5 ton bed. And if my crane doesn't sell, Installing it on the frame between the cab and bed. Most likely it will end up on HEMTT's and 46's when it comes to tires.

Attachments

Last edited:

91W350

That box almost needs yard lines... with that much tail overhang, a guy has to be careful about tail swing when close to other vehicles or objects. When I worked for Pepsi, my route truck had three bays behind the duals. It was easy to grind on docks and tall curbs with it. One of those would be a blast for parade duties. Glen

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well I went back out there and threw two new batteries in, it fires up FAST now. But I can only do that by jumpering the starter relay. Some reason I'm not getting power to the body of the truck. I pulled the ign swich and I don't see any voltage getting to that. Off to search now to figure out where to start looking.

FT, I haven't even began looking at that stuff yet. I say it's a M55A2 based on looks, but the placard doesn't say anything. And the drawing looks more like a M54A2. But the frame is a doubled frame.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yup that's the one.

I'm going to put this thing up for sale if someone wants to save it. Scrap would bring $3K, But I'll take a bit less.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
And it's up for sale on the classifieds here now. Opening bid of $1. Just search for M55A2. :beer:

3dAngus

I'll say one thing. You do try a lot of different things. Especially for a geek.

Congratulations! You done good!