• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ton of things to ask

red devils dude

Got the last head off the engine looks clean but I want to paint it wich brings us to
the next thing my trucks cab(inside) and the engine are painted a color that is a little darker than 383 green
anybodey know what color it is I'l attach a pic.
How should I prep the engine for painting I can borrow a hot water pressure washer or rent a steam cleaner.
do you guys think I should remove the fuel filter assy, oil filter/cooler thing and air compressor to get at the tappet camber too replace seals.
I think that's it for now.

Elwenil

I'll take a shot at it. If I were to guess, the engine is painted the original color the truck was painted. Probably the Vietnam era OD green. If the truck is now 383 green, I'd probably paint it that color, unless you have some reason for it to be the original color. As far as painting the engine, I've never painted a diesel engine before, but I have cleaned up and painted several really greasy gas engines. If it'c covered in thick layers of funk, I'd get a Steam Jenny or something, if not and good hosing with a regular pressure washer should do the trick. What you are looking to do is get off all the large particles and heavy grease so you can scrub it. I wouldn't use any "engine degreaser" to scrub it down, since they all seem to leave a residue. Use something simple like Joy dishwashing detergent. Don't use Dove or anything with any sort of hand lotion or "skin conditioner" in it. Finally, I'd spray it down with some good brake cleaner, not the non-chlorinated stuff, get the nice toxic stuff. That will dry with no film or residue and then immediately paint it with a good quality primer. You can use spray paint, just not any .99 a can stuff. If you are going with a military OD green, use whatever primer color that the military used. More than likely it will be a red oxide color. After two light coats of that, let it dry for about 10 or 15 minutes, then spray on the color top coat in a few light coats. This has always worked well for me, and I never use "engine paint" or high temp paint unless it's going on a racing engine with headers or something and it does just fine. Just my .02

Elwenil

Yeah, looks like typical original paint on the engine. I'm sure someone her knows exactly what it is, but if it were me, I'd just match the engine to the truck. One other thing, after you paint the engine, try and let it dry overnight. Sometimes with certain paints, if you put heat to it too soon it will wrinkle or peel. Let it set overnight, then take it out and let it warm up to operating temp, but don't get it real hot. Do that a couple times and the engine heat should cure the paint on real nice and make it a nice hard shell. I doubt any paint can live in the area around the turbo for real long though, so you may have to touch it up from time to time. Just my .02

Loose Deuce

Mine has a data plate on the block that shows it engine date 4-94, but the color of the paint on it looks like the regular old OD semi-gloss. I will try and sent a photo. :smilewinkgrin:

Elwenil

Hmmm, that's interesting. Perhaps the shops are still painting them semi-gloss since it seems to last longer than the flat paints?

Westech

CPL
Hey thats mine! Like the blue hose? Thats what I used to protect the feed line from the pyro. I know its not all nice and painted but Im always :yeah: around with stuff. In that last pick, is that a 465 ID? that turbo looks huge!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks