• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tons of AWESOME info but . . . why "bob"

thefirm13

My first post. Hope to get to know you guys better.
So I've done a lot of lurking and now that I'm getting serious about owning an M35 I figured I'd better join up.

With all my searching I HAVE found a lot of great info on how to "bob" a deuce and a half but I haven't read anything definitive on WHY.

My assumption was to make it more flexible/usable on uneven terrain and possibly to fit bigger tires on but aside from that I'm at a loss.

Thanks for your help and One more question: I noticed in the newbie forum rules that one of the rules said "No zombie posts". Can someone explain this to me? Personally I think zombie stuff is downright awesome but hey that's just me.

Thanks!

Austin

wsucougarx

With all my searching I HAVE found a lot of great info on how to "bob" a deuce and a half but I haven't read anything definitive on WHY.

My assumption was to make it more flexible/usable on uneven terrain and possibly to fit bigger tires on but aside from that I'm at a loss.

Austin
There are a few of us who are still scratching our heads about bobbed deuces. I am a bit of a purist and just don't understand the whole bobbed thing....never will. Most look pretty darn silly to me.

thefirm13

This is what I was thinking as well but it seems like everybody and their brother are talking about Bobbed deuces.

Anyway . . I'm headed tomorrow to go look at a couple for possible future purchase.
I've been reading up on the things to look for but I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

Wish me luck!

auron

I noticed in the newbie forum rules that one of the rules said "No zombie posts". Can someone explain this to me? Personally I think zombie stuff is downright awesome but hey that's just me.

Because it does get out of hand and the Mods don't like it when that happens mainly cause it has nothing to do with mv's. They even canned our thread about our buggout plans because of it.

thefirm13

Because it does get out of hand and the Mods don't like it when that happens mainly cause it has nothing to do with mv's. They even canned our thread about our buggout plans because of it.
Well that's slightly lame but, hey, not my forum so i guess they can do whatever they want.

Any other important questions I should ask before going to look at these deuces?

auron

Thats good and no she probly wont fit in that dress. In the search area look up the deuce inspection thread on what to look for it has lots of good info. Personally I like the full size bobbers but my all time fav. is the rat rod extended cab deuce its awe-inspiring.

thefirm13

Thats good and no she probly wont fit in that dress. In the search area look up the deuce inspection thread on what to look for it has lots of good info. Personally I like the full size bobbers but my all time fav. is the rat rod extended cab deuce its awe-inspiring.
I'll look into that. Anyone bought from Boyce Equipment out of Ogden Utah before?
It looks like they have a Ron of them.
Also possibly interested in a 5 ton as well for the extra power and power steering. I guessnill see what these guys tell me.

jaymcb

make sure you explore the need for a cdl, registration and insurance costs as you weight deuce vs 5 ton. Laws and rules vary from state to state, but you're usually in CDL territory with a 5 ton, with the resultant commercial plates and insurance costs. That was the biggest surprise for me when I bought mine, with the exception of how much fun I have driving it.....

gunboy1656

While I can't stand most bobbed trucks, I have to say the people on this forum were not the first to do it.

The first to do it was....drumroll.......the military. The other day I was searching for something else and I came across a line drawing of an M34 that was 4x4.

auron

True but when I got my dl in tx unless they changed the rules on me it stated my class c was gvw. > 28,000 which is within the realm of 5 ton I believe if im wrong let me know please. I used to own a 1968 ford f-750 day cab semi truck ans I had normal insurance cause I never used her as a rig though usaa and at almost $15 a month was nice, but alas she broke down for the last time in a cascade of failures I didnt have the patience to fix so I junked her .

Flyingvan911

Some bobbers look nice and some don't. You get a slightly lighter truck and a tighter turning radius. They are also a little easier to park. Personally, I would not bob my deuce.

phil2968

Austin
My bobber does not as well off road as a stock deuce off road. It is quicker and easier to drive on the street. I drive this truck every day to work. Once I get a locker in the rear and one in the front with locking hubs it will do better off road.
google xm381, the military experimented with the idea but it never went into production.

ODdave

I'll look into that. Anyone bought from Boyce Equipment out of Ogden Utah before?
It looks like they have a Ron of them.
Also possibly interested in a 5 ton as well for the extra power and power steering. I guessnill see what these guys tell me.
Drive a deuce then drive a 5ton, You might be suprized

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that's slightly lame but, hey, not my forum so i guess they can do whatever they want.

Any other important questions I should ask before going to look at these deuces?
Welcome to SS . Have you downloaded and read these ; TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf

I would recommend you study both of these before looking at a truck , so you know how to properly operate it and what to inspect .

ClintA

I have said in the past that I would not own a Bobber, they serve no use to me or would they? I might put 8.25-20 or 7.00-20 tires on it to lower the bobber so I could pull a gosseneck horse trailer and burn oil instead of so much diesel on the ranch. I wonder if anybody has thought of that?

DeucesWild11

Some of us here are limited by the town codes that we live in. Mine has length and weight requirements, hence me going with a bobbed version. I don't really need a 6x6 anyway, my truck is just for fun and the occasional trip to Home Depot. The last town I lived in (right next door) a friend had a Ford F350 with Duel wheels on the back and they told him he couldn't park it in his driveway.. Nice huh?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks