• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Too Much Fuel?

bgekky3

The new engine is in and running. I took it out today and it hits 1100 on the pyro on a slight incline unloaded. I hit a good hill, I don't know the grade but it is around 1,000 to 1,500 feet in elevation in about 3 miles or so. It is a good hill. I was approaching 1200 on the pyro in 5th with a quarter inch to go to the floor. I dropped to 4th same thing. I ended up running 3rd about 3/4 throttle to keep the pyro at 1100.

My question is, should I turn down the fuel to get better performance? FMJ pulled my truck over the same hill a few miles north (not as steep) and never hit 1100. I don't have any data of the old engine on either hill, because it let go the day after I installed the pyro. On the slight inclines around my house it was topping off under 900.

My temp with the new engine sat at 200 on both hills. The old engine was 205 to 210. I am going to have a friend look at the smoke tomorrow to see if it is the same as the old engine.

Any insight is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Westech

CPL
what engine did you install? A take out, rebuilt, military rebuilt? your temp should never be getting up in the 200's unless you have a radiator cover on and its a hot day. I would check the coolant level and make sure its not all dirty and filled with crap.

bgekky3

I flushed the fluid twice. It is full of junk. I am going to have it recored soon, but I am driving 1800 miles next week. It is a 400 hour take out engine. It didn't run hot in the old truck, so I know the rad is to blame. It runs at 190 on flat ground. It climbs when I hit the hills.

The pyro is what concerns me. It gets hot quick. I end up running a lower gear with less throttle to keep it at reasonable leavels.

I am going to check the timing and see if someone cut the lockwire on the adjusting nut cover. Maybe someone already turned up the fuel and turned it up too much.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Nick, I've got a radiator I just had cored out.....we can put it in, see if it changes anything?

Ed

Last edited:

bgekky3

After inspection today someone definitely turned up the fuel. The safety wire is gone and it is really smoking. I am going to swap out the rad and turn down the fuel a tad on Friday. Thanks Ed. Hopefully this will be the last time my truck is in Ed's garage, unless I am bored and decide to drive the 3600 mile round trip to visit.

SasquatchSanta

I have a theory on pump (fuel) settings.

My LDS engine came rebuilt and the fuel density compensator (FDC) disconnected/bypassed. I "think" they disconnected the FDC after the pump was calibrated instead of before.

If you want to maintain a stock fuel setting you have to turn down the fuel after disconnecting (bypassing) the FDC.

This would explain why my engine and others I've heard of are turned up so loud straight out of the rebuild depot.

Just a theory.

bgekky3

The FDC is bypassed. That would explain what is going on. I think the engine has a 87 tag on it. I probably won't get to the truck until Friday. I have to paint and finish the wood floor of my house, so I can get it on the market. I am about two months behind schedule due to a few setbacks. I plan to finish the truck on Friday, pack and going away party on Saturday, finish packing recover on Sunday, checkout on Monday, and leave on Tuesday. I will be busy. I just hope the radiator is the last possesed part I have to swap out of my truck. I want to prove my dad wrong about my idea to move across the country in a duece.

bgekky3

After leaving the 4,000 to 5,400 altitudes, the pyro is running a lot lower 150 to 200 degrees. The truck is heavy. It was weighed at 19,920 with a half full trailer and the truck empty. I finished loading the trailer and the truck is full. I would guess the truck is 22k or more at the least. I really have to work it to get any heat on the pyro.

I drove almost across the country. Once I got out of the mountains, I stopped to check the filters bc I thought I wasn't getting enough fuel. Everything was okay. I think the altitude has a great affect on the air fuel ratio.

I don't think it was a problem of too much fuel. I think it was a problem of too much altitude. I am going to turn up the fuel now.

It still smokes, but it is a lot less. I will post some new numbers in the future.

Does anyone else have any info on altitude info on the deuce? I was borderline too hot and now I can't get it over 1,000 on the pyro.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Elevation here is 3,000 ft and driving to Nevada with a gross weight of 32,000 lb and hitting 7,000 ft plus, a couple of years ago, nothing out of the ordinary was noted.
I keep the pyro below 1,200 °F by shifting down on long uphill drives.

Bypassing the FDC without adjusting the fuel delivery will give you EGT readings all over the place. It needs to be turned down a full two turns....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks