• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Too much smoke????

Bcurtman

My truck seems to smoke a LOT. It is a NON-TURBO multifuel. It does not smoke at all when cruising under no-load, but as soon as I hit a hill I can literally lay out a rope of smoke. Coming back from a car show recently, my friends in a Model A had to ask me to let them in front, as the smoke was getting in the car with them on every grade.

If someone could tell me (or better yet, show me in pictures) how to make some adjustments to my injection pump to tone down the smoke, I would really appreciate it. The pump is safety wired, but I know the previous owner had it off the truck. He may have turned it up and put the wires back on the screws. I do have the FDC bypassed as well, and I understand a little detuning is recommended after that is done-and it has not been. Thanks!

cbvet

My non-turbo Deuce doesn't smoke nearly as much lately as my turbo Deuce. Both burning 100 percent filtered WMO in the summer.
But then again I've noticed a drop in power & speed in the non-turbo truck. Probably time to change fuel filters:p

steelandcanvas

my M35A2C non-turbo does the same thing... now if i just had some power to go with all that smoke :cookoo: anyone done a turbo "upgrade" to there non-turbo??
I did a turbo upgrade on my '71, got rid of the smoke and she ran like a scalded ape. I don't know for sure, but it seems as though the fuel is turned up a bit on the naturally aspirated multifuels. If you do install the turbo, I would definitely advise installing a EGT Pyrometer, just to keep a eye on your temp.

Last edited:

ratat98

Smoke ain't nothing. The PO (91W350) took this video of my deuce smoking, and it HAS a turbo.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwCqiuW__Ak&list=UU6KLw1yfYsHW8HnJyRXt87Q&index=17&feature=plcp[/media]

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Smoke ain't nothing. The PO (91W350) took this video of my deuce smoking, and it HAS a turbo.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwCqiuW__Ak&list=UU6KLw1yfYsHW8HnJyRXt87Q&index=17&feature=plcp[/media]
Do you have a pyro installed? Looks like the fuel is turned up a bunch.

ratat98

Nope no pyro. ...yet... the FDC was bypassed, and I don't think they turned down the fuel when they bypassed it like they are supposed to. A pyro is on the list, but it's never had any problems

ratat98

Until you do, then they are BIG.
Yep! I'm not too worried about her though. I changed the head gaskets a few months ago and the pistons and turbo looked nice and pretty! Also the gasket change cut the smoke in half for whatever reason. I do believe its partially due to a couple bad injectors. That's also on the list.. I'm just easy on the go pedal until I get my list taken care of.

Bcurtman

OK then, what is the proper procedure for detuning after the FDC is bypassed? I did the bypass when I first got the truck. I'm easy on it too, but dont want to hurt it. Seems like there would be an rpm setting (I have the tach in the truck and a handheld), a temp setting, a screw it all the way in and back it out x turns setting, ...something...

navyninja

Ya know... Mine smokes like a freight train when I pull a hill, but when I'm just cruising it doesn't smoke at all. Except for a puff when I shift, and mine just had the turbo replaced.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK then, what is the proper procedure for detuning after the FDC is bypassed? I did the bypass when I first got the truck. I'm easy on it too, but dont want to hurt it. Seems like there would be an rpm setting (I have the tach in the truck and a handheld), a temp setting, a screw it all the way in and back it out x turns setting, ...something...
There is a standard number of turns but I don't recall it. What I'd do is just get a pyro and go from there. That's the only way to know for sure you're in the safe range while knowing you're getting all you can safely get out of the engine.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is a standard number of turns but I don't recall it. What I'd do is just get a pyro and go from there. That's the only way to know for sure you're in the safe range while knowing you're getting all you can safely get out of the engine.

To add to that, the military didn't have "tuned" settings. They had a baseline and then added a turbo to clear up smoke. That was only to make the EPA happy, not for power.

Why would you not want to tune your motor for volumetric efficiency?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks