• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

too old for excitement or too wise for disaster?

I go on MV road trips because:

• I want to see the country or see new things.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I want to go to a patriotic event /rally /convention /etc.

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • I like to create a spectacle.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I like to go camping far away in strange places.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I seek the risk of wild adventure

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It takes a real man (woman) to do it.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I have nothing else to do, why not?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • If my friend jumps off a cliff, yes I will also.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was dared to do it or there was a bet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What?? Heck no, never. That's crazy. I take the bus.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every year from 2006 through 2009 I've taken a road trip in the deuce and a half. Some have been what I'd call "epic adventures", and some not. Seen a lot of things and places and met a lot of SS members along the way.

But on every one of them, some repair had to be done, a repair that could have left me stranded if it had not been possible to fix and a couple that definitely required help to fix and some that fellow SS members helped with. These things happened a long way from my home in Dallas, Texas. I also usually travel solo and it's more free but increases risk of non-self-recovery.

These trips have not been short but others have taken longer trips and endured worse hardships or inconveniences. The inspiration for the first trip was from Cranetruck and his epic VA-CA adventure recovering that 8x8 with a deuce. Many will remember that his truck suddenly didn't start and he had to replace the injection pump head at a truck stop and had to camp out there a couple days. That was an epic adventure that started out as a huge cross country road trip and the story is well worth revisiting. Readers will note how many SS members offered to help. It still ended with success. MV road trips always do; it's succeed or perish, win or lose.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/milita...18-plans-california-trip-works.html#post46918

There are worse places to camp out than truck stops and some of them have GFI plugs as I found out. When it's raining and your shelter's electrical system has neutral bonded to ground, forget it. The GFI's going to pop as the water runs down the truck to the ground. Lessons: rewire whole 3-phase shelter (NOT!) -always use the 30A or 50A RV park socket as it won't have a GFI. I do consider sleeping in a climate controlled S-280 to be camping. YMMV. There are also very bad things that can happen without actual destruction and land a traveler in the hospital, like the heatstroke on member suffered when his engine failed and he was trying to get it going along the highway in the baking heat of summer. I don't know if he fully recovered from that, but in the old posts he was sick for some time after it and the engine was found to be a loss if I recall. The worst risks of all are breakdowns. But I found out how much fun road trips in big green trucks are and that was more important at the time.

It's not my goal here to suggest there is a MTBF on a deuce but for the record here's some data:

2006 - 2317 miles. Atlanta, GA. - Alternator belt broke and when replacing them, the tab/ear on the alternator broke off due to a hidden crack. Belts were my fault. The alternator tab was not foreseeable, not my fault there but it happened on my watch, so to speak.

2007 - 2915 miles - Springfield, MO - Blew exhaust gasket and sprung a fuel leak on the flame heater (capped it off). Not my fault.

2008 - 2042 miles - somewhere in AR - blew an oil line on the preluber and lost all the oil. I take responsibility but don't understand why the hose came off the barb fitting except that it had been ripped somehow.

2009 - 1306 miles - Hot springs, AR - clutch trouble in m35 from excess lube in trans. drove M35 there an left it, built an "M8109", drove it back. Was it my fault if I was lazy and paid a diesel shop to replace the lubes? No, but I should have checked them. They were told the right level but went by the book, and I did not check it after them.

All of these trips were fairly hard driving on an M35, but my truck was well maintained except for the one alternator belt, and the truck had some upgrades. On the highway the speed was 45-55MPH on 9.00x20's or 50-58 on 11.00x20's. It got to where I knew by the sound of the engine how fast the engine and the truck was running.

Would there have been less trouble at 45MPH? good question. The things that broke did not have to do with speed. A thrown rod would have been a speed problem and I never sit on the redline.

The term "adventure" is maybe not well understood today.
1. an exciting or very unusual experience.
2. participation in exciting undertakings or enterprises: the spirit of adventure.
3. a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome.
5. peril; danger; risk.
6. chance; fortune; luck.

#1 and 2 seem to sugar coat the best definition, #3. There is always a risk in an adventure, otherwise it would be called a venture.

Road trips in any old vehicle are potential adventure. Road trips in certain areas are always an adventure. Sometimes there are visible/audible warnings when approaching hazardous places, sometimes only evidence later.
- South side of Chicago - visual cues.
- Grinder's Switch, TN - 2nd gear all the way.
- Predator that is not afraid to fly at night in the driving rain - broken windshield.

I don't know if it is age or wisdom or what, but I have not been motivated to try for those rare epic adventures lately.
I'm more tempted to wait until very late fall when the high temp is 65, and tour Texas. There are a million miles of 2-lane blacktop throughout TX to offer weeks of leisurely travel from one small town to the next. Should I still go on road trips of 2000 miles, so far from home? That is the question. Maybe there needs to be new rules. The rules already assume carrying spares, tools, etc.

- If the smallest thing isn't right on the truck, fix it or don't go.
- The first day, put only 100-200 miles or so on the truck and if anything isn't right, fix it or go back.
- No running the truck hard all day and night.
- When it gets dark, find a motel or campground or truck stop (if the noise is OK).
- Observe a distance radius from the 'home 20'.
- Beware dragons on rainy nights.
- Beware banjo music at night along deserted roads through the woods, especially in the South.
- Just because the truck is so loud you can't hear the banjo music doesn't mean it's not there.

Are these rules overly cautious for one person alone? They are proposed only to apply to myself; it's a free country. Others do long road trips. Even Ferroequinologist's trip to Alaska, which has not started yet but has been in preparation since 2009 (and rightly so).

The true question is whether there can be a high probability of an exciting experience while minimizing the risk of a harrowing experience?

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good post Patrick.
To expand a bit...
Yep, Jason in Arkansas was invaluable, drove a long distance several times to help with the IP problem, brought parts and copied a complete TM to help. That was in Joplin MO. The IP problem was caused by rust particles from the fuel tank, which in turn caused the IP plunger to jam. Shortly after that, the engine stalled again. This time the cause was related the earlier repair, the clamp over the fuel cut-off lever was too tight and the lever stuck in the (near) off position.
A problem noted on a previous trip to Florida, but ignored, was an occasional oil drip from the flywheel housing. This became much worse and lots of oil was lost crossing the Rocky Mountains.
I actually used hydraulic oil from the crane oil reservoir one time to keep going. Leonard in Sacramento was the great savior this time, dedicated several days to work on the main seal, which was replaced.
The 25A generator was replaced with a loaner from Will out in CA, a bearing was shot. It was delivered by Gary Berg, btw, just shows how far our SS friends will go to help.
No real problems on the return trip, except for one blown tire on the 8x8, which was flat towed from OK to VA.

I had one basic rule that I followed and that was an established daily routine, start early and quit driving early, like about 18:00 hrs or so. That made eating/drinking/WC stops regular and night time driving eliminated.

Bring plenty of tools and change engine oil and filters often.

Burned a lot of WVO and Biodiesel during that trip and have mixed feelings about that practice, very messy and lots of residue to deal with.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Patrick, I have not had any adventures in my deuce this year as maintanence issues and other "life" things have gotten in the way. Sometimes you need a breather from "MV life".

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do the Haspin rally from SC, and while it's a 586 mile jaunt one way, convoying with friends makes the miles roll a lot better. Knock on wood, I have only had one problem with the 5 ton- Ran bio diesel on my first trip, and on the return, the fuel filter clogged up. While I had spares, I didn't get the filter can to seal, and I had one heck of a air leak. 250's don't run well on air, and the mountains of NC made the problem worse. Finally stopped at an welcome center, and fixed the problem.
Other than that- getting used to 50-55 MPH, and waves and smiles going down the road---- priceless

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What? No road trips for you Gimpy? You are the "MV Life Poster Child"!. Your picture should appear on the back of bottles of "DIESEL KLEEN" and "CETANE BOOST" as well as on the back of business cards for emergency repair services. 'Throw a wheel, no big deal!" "sleet or snow, we'll make you go!" Enjoy your time off, oh King of Adventure!

ARYankee

There are also very bad things that can happen without actual destruction and land a traveler in the hospital, like the heatstroke on member suffered when his engine failed and he was trying to get it going along the highway in the baking heat of summer. I don't know if he fully recovered from that, but in the old posts he was sick for some time after it and the engine was found to be a loss if I recall.
I do believe he passed away last fall partly due to that trip. I know he was moving from PA to AZ and broke down in Arkansas where he had to ditch his M109. I was able to get it and bring it to my house until he could come and get it. He had all sorts of issues on his way back plus he was doing it in the middle of summer. RIP Fred.

As far as the road trip thing, I'm game for one at some point. I know my furthest was the M923 recovery from Ft. Leonard Wood which was issue free :) I know if I could get my M1009 ready by Oct. I would love to attend the GA Rally. I think the biggest issue is the cost for me but some careful saving and planning may remedy that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks