• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took my Deuce to the scrapyard!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Took my Deuce to the srapyard!

Wow, that's a lot of metal. I see the rear end of the truck sagging a little under the weight. You sure there wasn't a use for that maintenance body? Looks okay from here...

USMC6062

The work bed was useable, but it was side swiped in a couple places, and needed to be painted. I could have sold it for more than scrap value, but I didn't feel like messing with it. Nobody is buying anything right now, I had a hard time selling my old truck for less than it was worth.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
westfolk said:
I just drove an M55 on to the scales.....parked it where they wanted it....shut it off....then got my money.

When I take then to the scrapyard they stay. So far this year I've scraped around 10 M105A2s.....7 or 8 M200A1s....an M172....the M55....and 6 M35A2s.....with two more going later this week. M52A2 and M109A3 soon to follow.
Joe, you DO know this website is about saving OD Iron, right? ;) Man, you make wreckerman seem tame...

Are you scrapping them all because your quarry uses trucks up that fast? I know rock is hard on ANY truck, but wow, that's a lot of trucks and trailers there that met their end in the rock business....

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took my stepdaughter's 1991 Acura Legend to the crusher today. $294.40! And, I got $4.00 for an old car battery. The guy that runs the place said he's been busier in the last few weeks than he has ever been.

Scrap yards are fun!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
westfolk said:
Oh, I don't just scrap a perfectly good truck.
Glad to hear that, westfolk. I'm not against scrapping things, just hate to hear when a good truck, or a good ANYTHING, has been reduced to pieces before it really was ready.

Scrapyards are great for getting rid of a lot of really worthless stuff, turning junk into a usable material, and getting good cash. I got some stuff floating around that is ready for the smelter as well, just try to salvage and reuse as much as I can before the leftover rusty pieces meet the scrappers.

USMC6062

Elwenil said:
Seems a waste of some good Dodge parts there...
That's what I bought that truck for was parts, and believe me I already got the goodie out of it. The truck came from the beach and was a rusted piece of junk. None of the sheetmetal left was any good, just some of the moldings and nit pick items.

JeepMan

I'm sure in this situation his yard/sheds looks much better and ready to recieve more "good stuff"!!
I'm hearing that lately it's like the old scrap drives of WWII at the scrap yards. There's long lines of people waiting to get weighed.
They're also saying that some of the stuff is too good to be going to scrap yards but is.
Farmers/scrappers are cleaning out thier hedgerows/farm yards long hidden from sight and used/new car dealers are taking thier trade-ins there also.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh I hope you guys aren't bringing any 2 1/2 ton Rockwell axles to the scrap yard :cry: At least not the fronts!

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
USMC6062,

You couldn't have gotten a faster response if you would have put, "Took my Deuce to Hooters!"

p.s. - You need to edit your title and put a "c" in "srapyard"

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a M105 with the intention of scrapping it out. I'm filling it up with all the scrap from around the farm and when I get it there I'll just take the tires/wheels off and let them have it.

It was in bad shape when I got it at auction and it's handy to put the junk in.