• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took my truck to the Truck and Tractor pull

Oros35

That was a sweet video. I think I'll spare my truck the torture though!

We have to go wheeling soon before the weather gets ugly. We can grab Pat with his 5 ton and hit the trails out by Ligonier! Convoy over the mountain!

Was your truck parked off of 51 not too long ago at a lumber/logging place?
Just trying to find the weak links! Now I'm much more confident in 'using' my truck.

That would be a hike for me, but I'm game.

Nope not me. I'm out past the PGH airport almost to Ohio.

Danger Ranger

Pulling

Video works now....nice pull.

The thing a lot of people don't think about in a pull like that is, the competition has a ton more HP and has momentum on their side....you're using sheer torque and power to pull the load.
The pintle hook is too darn high, kinda messes up the pull.
From what I know about tractor pulling, mostly antique tractors, there is nothing wrong with that pull. A higher hitch means more force pulling the wheels into the ground, meaning more traction. That is why there are hitch height limits at regulation pulls. Even stock antique tractor classes have that. As to pulling in a class where one is out of their league, well, that is one's choice. We used to do it at the county fair where all they pulled were modern (at the time) tractors with turbos, power shifts and such. Ex: 1954 JD 70 pulling agianst a 1968 JD 4020. With all that torque, and assuming you weited up just right, one can be competitive in a class with more HP. Slow and steady...or more speed/momentum and less traction, take your pick.

Sorry, just had to get that all in. :shock:2centsfat lady sings

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turn up the fuel rate and try it again! I'd bet you would get a full pull. Nice vid. Nothing like the sound of a multi working.

Oros35

I have a 1945 JD A that I usually pull. Right on for the speed vs slow debate. I'm used to pulling slow since I have JD's.

Now some of it depends on the track too. This particular track is a power track. You usually have more traction than you know what to do with. So you have to have the power to get the job done. My JD A is great in the lighter classes, but falls off quick over 5000lbs. Too much traction not enough gear. I either need more motor, or the gears from a later JD A.

It is kind of interesting, reading most of the threads on here of people that have pulled they said use 2nd Low. For me on this track, 1st Low was not enough. If I had a bit lower gear I could have pulled it out the gate. Traction wasn't the problem, just ran out of steam.