• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took the Deuce for a trip today..

fredrader

Hey All,I mounted a 2" receiver on my deuce yesterday and decided to try it out today..I loaded my CJ7 onto my trailer and pulled it about 70mi over to Haspin Acres in Laurel Indiana this morning..It did great but I couldn't hook up any trailer lights since the trailer lights were 12v..It got a lot of waves and thumbs up though..It got a lot of attention at haspin also...I think I will get some 24v bulbs and make me up some lights w/magnets so I can use em on any trailer I pull...I will attatch a couple pics..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, I would kill to be only 70 miles from Haspin again. Fred, are you going to Haspin in July with the rest of the Steel Soldiers detachment? Should be a great time and if I weren't 1250 miles away, I would go in a second.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing we have are dust bowls and black bottomless mudpits. Nothing else. Not a single hill that isn't man made. Unless you like mud (and I no longer do) you have nothing to do! We have man made canals. We don't have rivers and we don't have creeks although some folks say we do. We really don't have woods either. Around here any wooded area is so overgrown by brazillian pepper, you can't even crawl through it. We do have sand but we don't have any sand drag racing. I go to OH for that. When you come, bring scoop tires!

Desert Rat

Joe,
Looks like y'all were having lots of fun with that event! BTW, why was the Jeep's hood up on one of the last pics? Water get in the carb or something?

MVtrucker

I hate to admit this, but I didn't go on that ride and don't know why the hood is up. One of the trail rides that I did go on in the Wharton Tract included a stop at the Warren Grove Air National Guard. Now this was really neat. We were allowed to go up the control tower and stand on the platform that surrounds the upper portion where the air controllers are. They have outside speakers and we listened to the talk between the pilots on a target practice mission and the controllers. The jets, from MI, would come in low and fast, firing bursts at ground targets. We'd see the ground popping, then hear the rapid fire. A couple of M151A1 MUTTS and a couple of other mil-vehicle were in the compound, not used as targets. Real nice trail ride. The tract has hundreds of miles of sandy lanes. Easy to get lost in there, some of my friends did. They spelled out HELP on a lane using rocks and sticks to signal the air search team. They were rescued.

Desert Rat

Joe,
Sounds like y'all had a blast! Fred, that receiver is really neat. Any way to give a description/specs on the pieces and so on? Thanks(in advance)!

OD_Coyote

fred radar - Thanks for the drawings. Is this a strictly bolt on accessory or do you have to drill some hole to mount the foward plate?

Thanks,

OD_C

fredrader

The holes were in my duece crossmember when I got it but the guy I bought the deuce from is the guy that made the hitch so he may have drilled them..If I were making one I wouldn't weld anything untill I had the 2 plates bolted in place with the holes cut in them for the receiver tube..Then I would weld the receiver tube to both plates and measure and cut a brace (or 2 ) and weld them in place..I am not much of a welder so I would just tack everything in place and remove the entire hitch and weld everything up on the table so I could get the best welds posible...Then bolt it back up [thumbzup]

The hitch requires a pretty long drop hitch to keep your trailer level and mine needs to be about 2 or 3" longer so an 8"-10" drop would work great..I think the one I am using now is a 6" but I really don't know how the measure them..It looks like the top of the receiver tube on my hitch whan mounted on my deuce w/9.00x20's is rite at 2' from the ground...