• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took the Mother Duck “out for a spin”…

oddshot

Today I drove the ‘ Duck to school again. I’ve put about 200 miles on it since the bobbin’ … and she’s been running and driving GREAT.

No real probs even in stop and go traffic down by Marietta, Ga or parking or anything.

Until today … and it wasn’t a REAL problem.

I’ve been driving my boibbed Deuce the same way you ( I ) would ride a motorcycle or ski … by keeping my head in the game … and my eyes UP … PLANNING for each corner or braking or traffic situation … instead of “reacting” when I get to it.

Today there was a VERY light rain, just heavy enough to put a shine on the roads … but not enough to really wash them clean.

On the way home from school, I had no difficulty on the highway at all … even in traffic … I kept my speed down … and adjusted my interval between me and the car(s) in front.

When I turned off the highway and headed through the rolling hill back where I live … even that was Ok … no problems at all … until I got to a pretty steep down hill … at the bottom of which I have to apply the brakes to make a right onto a side road.

I wasn’t going very fast at all … maybe 30 or 35 MPH … maybe just a touch under the speed I usually take this turn.

I “carried” my momentum, under braking, as I usually do (when its dry) on this turn … and the tail of the Deuce came around to see what the nose had been looking at!

It was simple math really … I had simply spent all the traction “currency” my military 9.00 x 20 tires could generate on BRAKING … and had nothing left to spend on “cornering” … and, just like that, the tail came around.

The interesting thing? The VERY same thing happened to me at the VERY same corner in my old (beloved) Ford Pickup when I first moved down here … just a *little* water on the road was enough. My old Ford didn’t spin … she “snow plowed” (understeered) through the intersection.

There was no traffic … there is rarely traffic back here where I live … so LUCKILY … no harm … no foul … BUT … !

My (beloved) old Ford and I had that happen JUST ONCE … and we both learned the limits for that corner.

But … I am reminded that after almost EVERY military exercise I have ever gone through … there was always time AFTER for reflection … and a discussion of “lessons learned”.

Sometimes the “lessons learned” were the only thing of value that came from the exercise … by a LONG shot.

My lesson learned this time out … ?

Even if you keep your head in the game … something might come along … and bite you in the butt.

It never hurts to lay in an extra measure of “slow the heck down” and apply a bit more caution … Especially in areas of shallow water.

oddshot

Last edited:

oddshot

Did the cushion come out on its own or did you need help? Glad your ok.
Fortunately surgery wasn't required ... but my eyes are so jacked open ... I don't think I'll ever blink again!:shock:

I was wearing ear plugs ... so if the tires gave me a audible warning ... I never heard it.

It came around so smooth ... there was no drama at all.

THANK GOD its a fairly un-traveled road ... or there would have been TWO of us trying to extricate a seat cushion. Maybe even the same one.

I don't anticipate that she will be prone to doing this sort of thing ... like I said ... it happened once before in my Ford Pickup. JUST ONCE!

It IS a pretty extreme piece of road ... But extreme situations call for extreme vigilance.

I won't get caught out again.

oddshot

oddshot

Did you have to change the Fruit of the Looms when you got home?:mrgreen:

Glad everything worked out OK.
WM ...

You got a mile or two driving these things ... didja ever have a full size swap ends on you?

When you're just a "Speedy Spec Four" THAT'S gotta set yer heart to racin'!!!

I used to work with a guy that put a jeep ... filled with commo gear ... upside down over in Germany.

He got pitched out and didn't get hurt ... but the radio stuff was a write off.

He told me that a LOT of folks were VERY unhappy with him for some time.

oddshot