• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took the Plunge with a 5 Ton

1943ht

Just purchased an 813 Series 5 Ton to pull my halftrack around with ... I know, I could have bought a tractor, but the price was right and frankly the beast has been through a rebuild and is in excellent condition, but the brakes do need to be bled. Will need to purchase batteries, but other than that, she runs smoothly, is in great shape and I can't wait to get her out on the road. I of course have the usual questions .. what manuals do I need, what batteries can I get away with, and no I don't want to use military batteries and is anyone out there using a goose-neck trailer or pintle trailer with their 5 ton .... will post pics when I can.

//R..
Mark

area52

Manuals are the 9-2320-260-xxx series, look under the resources tab up above for tech manuals and page through a few.

The military usually used 4 batteries wired up for 24V for cold weather but if you have some heavy duty ones, two are fine. Group D I think? Look through the 5 ton section to make sure.

A construction type pintle type trailer would be the easiest to hook up, not sure on how much the halftrack weighs though?

You realize you are doomed, doomed to the green iron addiction?? :p

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Not trying to rain on your parade but I was a Transportation guy while on active duty and you have to look at the capabilities and limitations of your vehicle.

You are going to need a heavy duty tag trailer (two axle min) to haul your halftrack on.

The weight of the halftrack and the trailer will tax the pulling power of the 813 and without a load on the truck the load will push you hard when you try to stop even with trailer brakes. On wet or slippery pavement this can cause issues.

If you get into mud there will little or no traction unless the truck is loaded.

It can also "whip" you around if the load is not well balanced. Jack knifing a heavy rig is a bad deal.

That is why tractors are much better than cargo trucks for pulling heavy loads. The weight is distributed on three axles via the 5th wheel.

Under the best of conditions the 813 is good for 54 MPH unless the engine is turned up and larger tires installed.

Ref the battery question you can use two high CCA batteries in place of the four LTs unless you are going to operate in cold weather a lot. I did this with my 816 and never had a prob cranking it.

All the manuals you need are posted somewhere on the site (I have them in print so I never use the on line ones).
If you are at Benning you should get in touch with Papa Bear. He has a lot of experience in hauling military and civilian heavy loads.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We really need to get her down to the "hooch" and give her the once over Mark:drool:
Besides...she needs to meet the other "CAMO" 5tons.

Maybe after the Guntruck Gathering?:driver:

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mark, glad to see you back.

Any updates on the African Queen?

Carnac says we missed you at the Ga. MVPA's Rally this past September. Are you going to be coming back this way any way soon?

So far as batteries, there are a bunch of choices. We've been using Optima Red Tops in our deuces with good luck.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/53837-4-battery-coversion-2-batteries.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/40159-deuce-battery-options.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forum-tips-tricks/39580-6-tl-batteries.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/39328-m35a-deuce-battery.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/electrical/34068-finding-u6tl-battery.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/35049-batteries-mvs.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/25654-m35a2-batteries.html

I have seen one guy on the forum who has built a hitch to pull a gooseneck type trailer behind a cargo truck.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...g/27110-stinger-hitch-modification-deuce.html

You will mor elikely than not end up with some kind of pintle pull equipment trailer........

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/627593-post2.html

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Clinto... Mark has joined our wacky crew of MV freaks in CAMO. We plan on kidnaping him for the Guntruck Gathering and for the GA Rally.
I think he's firmly hooked on our "Saturday at the Hooch" antics.:beer:

1943ht

Wreckerman, Clinto, ALCON, Appreciate your frank appraisal, recommendations and sage advice and yes those issues are considerations that had for the most part been taken into discussion with myself, Papa-Bear and several others... will be used for local hauls, speed is not a consideration a steady 55 MPH is good enough for this soldier, and I have seen some interesting things done with overdrive boxes. Regards trailers... again much good advice from the team at CAMO and there are options to include removing the body from the truck and throwing a 5th wheel on the frame, trading for a 818 Tractor, nice stout and properly rated pintle trailer, modify for a gooseneck trailer etc.
I hate asking folks to move the "Queen" to various charity activities especially since I have been gone so much on deployments etc ... went home to support the Touch-A-Truck event last month and landed up paying to have the "Queen" moved to that event, not that the 5 ton won’t run a little coin for upkeep, but I have a couple of buds back home who are just as “crazy” about these vehicles as we are and who are already chomping at the bit to get him home and into the traces .. Then again, I have always wanted to own one of these beasts!

My best timing for this purchase is now, while I can use the expertise and frankly have access to all the great advice and hands on knowledge from "Papa-Bear" and the team at CAMO... as My girl would say, “You are so Addicted” LOL .. Larry, Troy and the team here will have me squared away in no time, and I feel confident that the solution that we come to regards a towing package will be both safe and practical. CAMO is a great bunch of Vet’s and collectors and a MVPA Club that I am proud to be associated with. [thumbzup]

//R//
Mark

Last edited:

BEASTMASTER

you might be in for a surprise. my buddie tried to hook his 9 ton tag to his deuce and the civy lunette ring will not fit on the oversized pintle hook. had to chop down the pintle with a torch and a grinder to make it look pretty.

1943ht

I'm sure I'll have a challenge or 2 .. but after recovering and preserving my HT from far far away, nothing with these great old vehicles surprises me much anymore .. where there's a will there's a check book :roll: !

Armada

As Clinto said, good to see you back, Mark. So how did reuniting the AQ with the states go? Did you have much restoration work once you got her home?

EDIT. Just read your other thread farther down. You've been busy!

Last edited:

Rene M

I wish you were closer.. id give you my mil spec battery's for a ride in that half track!!!
I pulled mine out in favor of using 4- 31 vhd Interstate 1160 cca.
mine are fine but these are better and more common for me .;-)

Construction

Mark,

I haul my CAT bulldozer with my M817. Your trailer will most likely cost you more than the truck. It is worth every penny to get a nice one, get one with good air brakes. Buy two military 24 V tail lights, put them on the back, and wire them to a trailer wiring harness (standard from NAPA, etc.) and tap into the truck's tail lights. As for the pintle, make sure it lines up with the truck pintle - level. It took me some time to find one. You will need a CDL to haul with it, register it for the true weight and truck and loaded trailer, and get commercial plates, not cheap.

Hope that helps.

MC

1943ht

Aw yes the CDL .. seems that the thread I read on here has lots of conflicting advice and real life experiences ... Can see getting my truck and trailer licensed and insured because that's the right thing to do regards CMA.. but not sure I need a CDL .. going to look into that regards the NAZI states of MN and WI .. I'll stand by the Nazi thing as WI will not allow me to LIC and legally operate my Halftrack on the street .. and good old MN is all about $$$ dollars and 0 sense :???:

My eventual plan is to move to a MVP friendly state when I retire from the Army .. with my luck that will be someplace warmer:beer: .. I appreciate your post, Thank You Construction ..

Josh

How much does the halftrack weigh? Just throwing a thought out there, what about one of those 5ton tandom axle laundry trailers? Dunno if it will work, but cant hurt to find out.

Last edited:

1943ht

Josh 11 Tons with the ammo trailer and about 35 feet in length.. have several options identified .. just need to execute and oh that's right a few bucks too :roll:

Papabear that is such a consideration .. can just see it know .... divorce papers served to yours truly, cause "Abandonment" .... "Your Honor, we moved here a year ago and I never see him anymore .. he is always at some shop doing something with some kind of CAMO? :mrgreen: At least she would know where to serve the papers :jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks