• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tool trailer

blackdog

I have been building this tool trailer at the Mechanized Museum for the past couple weeks... trailer was being junked, saved it, used a chopped up Humvee wiring harness for the bits and pieces required to convert reflectors to marker lights on the sides, recycled an otherwise new PALCON container that at one point was impaled by a forklift, saved some brand new LVS floodlights that were being thrown away to use as work lights, utilized a brand new $5000 Ingersoll Rand air compressor that almost made it to DRMO until the unit that had it donated it to us, used wood from portion of building that is being renovated to make a work surface, used a vice that was thrown in a scrap metal bin late one night while we were working on a truck (we heard a loud bang, and investigated, someone had thrown it in a scrap metal bin next door at the recycling plant)... and so yeah. It's pretty sweet. We use it to bust down and paint stuff.

It will eventually be towed by a Humvee with a Helmet Hardtop that will serve as a contact truck...

We do a lot of recycling. The only thing we don't recycle is paint, I think :D

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cool trailer Brian. That's what it's all about. Utilizing bits from here and there to come up with a very usable service trailer for little to no dollars! [thumbzup]

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Impressive :beer:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it! Very good to hear that you save all you can. Too many wasteful people in America today, finding bits and pieces for free or cheap is where it's at. :grd:

blackdog

Oh yeah, forgot to mention too that the gerry can holders are actually gypsy racks that were cut in half. They were being thrown away (rusty and bent up).

rmgill

One of my M514 trailers would work very well for that and they're configurable with a 4 position lunette eye. I had been thinking about a camping support trailer for the second one but a tool trailer would be interesting too.

blackdog

SasquatchSanta said:
Great Looking Trailer!

Where can a person pick up a PALCON container like the one you used?
They show up on Government Liquidation from time to time. They don't usually get thrown out (DRMO'ed) unless there is something wrong with them whether it be the rivets holding the doors on being loose or non-existent (easily replaceable with screws) or fiberglass damage which can usually be repaired. Maybe someone closer to your location can help you more..

Brian

ONTOS66

Excellent project .. and practical too. Looking forward to seeing the finished setup. What a handy thing to have tagging along on future convoys!!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, this is a dumb question, but:

When did the military start putting paintball ranges on the bases? And what type of vehicles at your base are used there? I guess paintball is replacing the real rifle ranges....

blackdog

It's an MCCS function for recreational purposes not training purposes. It is used by a lot of civilians and military too. It generates funds for Marine Corps Community Services. There are two M1028's and two M1009's plus an M35A2 and an M110 SP Howitzer at the park. There are two more trucks - M931's with short single axle semi trailers coming as well. However we (museum) made a deal with the paint ball park that we can take any part we need off of any of these vehicles (that would have otherwise gone to the range or scrap yard anyway) so it's working out for us. The park is only right across the street. We already took the engines out of the M35, M931's, as well as all wiring, gauges, glass, etc... same for the CUCV's, except we haven't taken out the engines, just the seats, glass...

http://www.cppaintball.com/

BTW, the nicer looking blazer in that picture is part of the museum -- we took it for additional cargo capacity :roll:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hey... what are you doing parking that beautiful trailer on the railroad tracks!

Boy oh boy.... :roll:

Awesome job on the trailer by the way! I have 5 of those PALCON containers, fixed two already. They are very nice for storage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks