• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tools to carry for busting MTVR tires?

MTVR

At the very least, I should probably be carrying tools to be able to bust tires roadside.

It also looks like I may end up replacing all six tires here in my driveway before that.

What tools have you used to perform this task? With the 2-piece rims, I'm not gonna be using tire irons to lever them off over the rim of the wheel, but I am obviously going to need to break the beads in order to get each wheel half out of the tire. A bead breaking wedge and Oshkosh special tool # BFH?

I've already watched Micah's video on wrestling the beadlock insert into and out of the tires from there.

Can I re-use the wheel O-ring in each wheel?

Re-seat them with ether?

Balancing beads?

Last edited:
Reactions: HDN

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Tires have a beadlock inside. They will seat back on the rim easily with this inside.

Standard tire bead breakers work.

I use a Stanley crowbar and a good hammer. I make them look easy though. If you have one being stubborn put diesel around the bead of a deflated tire and it will soak thru and loosen it up.

Silicone Orings are reusable. I use super 77m spray by 3m going back together

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not something that you really want to consider roadside.

And at $20/tire, as cheap as I am.... this is something that I pay to have the tire place do.

If forced to, I remove the outer half of the wheel, then flip it over and mash on the tire with a forklift. Seating them is well within the capacities of a standard air compressor.

I'm presuming that the MTVR wheels are similar to the 5ton combat rims and the HEMTT rims etc.

Initial inflation is something I want to do with the tire in a cage. Or at minimum using a locking chuck and being far far away with the truck between me and the tire.

MTVR

Tires have a beadlock inside. They will seat back on the rim easily with this inside.

Standard tire bead breakers work.

I use a Stanley crowbar and a good hammer. I make them look easy though. If you have one being stubborn put diesel around the bead of a deflated tire and it will soak thru and loosen it up.

Silicone Orings are reusable. I use super 77m spray by 3m going back together
Thanks again, buddy.

Crow bar and Oshkosh special tool # BFH moved into the truck...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a tire hammer, 3 whacks and the ring pops off. Then flip over but use a wood block under the wheel such that the rubber is off the ground slightly. Then 3 more whacks and the tire will drop off.

10isBestmm

Tire hammer, oring plus spares, small wrench and socket set for the beadlock, tire soap with spray bottle, torque multiplier, 33mm deep socket 1 inch, milwaukee 3/4 heavy impact, 33mm 3/4 deep socket. 3/4 and a 7/8 flare wrench with the 90 degree head to remove the ctis, a 4ft 1 inch socket driver incase you run out of battery, pb blaster, tire gauge. Tire iron to move the tire onto hub. 4x4 blocks, two bottlejacks in the 15 or 20 ton range. Jackstands 15 ton screw type, highjack 48 inches.
Also vise grips for two tool comboing.
And a torque wrench up to 800lbs
Gp grease for the orings, and maybe a file and sandpaper incase you ding up the rims in spots you shouldnt have.
Almost forgot the allens. You need metric ones.

Thats everything I used to change tires last week.

I just made some chock blocks using 6x6s and 4x4s so I can reach 4 different heights of 6", 12", 9.5", and 3.5" depending on my height requirements.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks