• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top 10 Deuce Modifications

goldneagle

Just curious why you don't go with a 24 volt inverter instead of all the work adding another complete electrical system... and if you need 12 volts there are also transformers to convert 24 volt down to useable 12 volt for electroncs....
Just my $.02
Battery equalizer is a better way.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I've read through it and found some good ideas and figure some people who've joined the board since 2011 might find some ideas too.

I'm currently working on a 30 point checklist.

I'll summarize the top 13 modifications (in no particular order):
1. Mount 81g secondary fuel tank on driver's side - not sure about secondary fuel system or just tying it into the existing system yet
2. Change air intake to A3's
3. Change wiper to A3/HMMWV (I think they're the same) but one way or another I will move away from air wipers
4. Install secondary 12v electrical system
5. Air dryer
6. Back-up alarm
7. HMMTT seats
8. Lockouts on front axle
9. Replace all the gauges and add more on a secondary panel
10. No-idle HVAC system
11. Computer with 23" touchscreen that will connect to front/back cameras, navigation, stereo.
12. Change windshield/door glass to acrylic
13. Sound insulation

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
add

-remove rear axle
-put air locker differential in rear axle (perhaps front)
-If going to larger tires and 4x4, replace wheel cylinders with 1 1/2" dia piston.
-395's x 5

mann650

Montaillou, Thanks for bringing this thread back, some good stuff here. Most of my planned work is more of maintenance than modification. But if I get to dreaming than I guess this would be my dream list. I don't think I would ever get most of this done, unless I win the lottery
Dream list
1. Crew cab, keep the 6x62. Rear and front 24V Winch
3. Fold down spare tire carrier that acts as stairs into the bead
4. Removable camper in the bed
5. 12V electrical (nice system, balanced batteries etc,)
6. Fold down spare tire carrier that acts as steps into the bed
7. Lockers on all 3 axles
8. Disconnect hubs on front axle and rear tandem axle
9. 3 speed Eaton between the transmission and transfer case, new drive shafts, possible stretch of frame or move axles
10. Roll cage

Now that the dream is done, here is more of the real list
1. LED headlights, one headlight is burned out currently.
2. Change out the transmission to ATF
3. Small 12V system for charging phones etc
4. Fiberglass or steel troop bows (current wood is rotted)
5. Reverse lights
6. Flag holder for the front bumper
7. Solar battery tender
8. Battery disconnect
9. Tee and air chuck on air tank. (need to replace priority valve so i get my glad hands back but this is the plan for now. Having both would not bother me
10. Removable davit crane in bed

tcruwithme

Sticking to modifications and not upgrades (like adding a winch, convoy lights, or hard top), here is what I have done so far.

(1) Automatic air tank drains
(2) Reverse light modification
(3) Electric wiper motors and upgraded wiper arms & blades
(4) Added side marker lights, led composite lights, led head lights, and led tail lights
(5) recentered HEMTT wheels, 395/85R20 XZL tires, haltec large bore valves
(6) Added a jib crane and reinforced the truck bed where it is mounted
(7) Installed a power steering system from an M181 truck
(8) Replaced the fuel tank with an aluminum tank from an A3 truck
(9) Added a coolant filter
(10) JATONKA oli, primary fuel, and secondary fuel spin-on filters

There's also a bunch of standard/optional upgrades I did. Here are a few of those:
(1) Added lollipop lights
(2) Added convoy lights
(3) added a winch
(4) added delineator plates
(5) added a military dome light
(6) replaced the upright staves with fiberglass units, replaced the cross bows with steel units
(7) replaced the troop seats with fiberglass units
(8) added a cab reinforcement plate

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter

tcruwithme

Thanks. You'll need a 90-degree long elbow, a 45-degree elbow, a piece of straight pipe, and a Donaldson Air Ram model H008154 available through Filtermaxx. Yes, I did the A3 fuel tank swap. What you see in the pictures is the new aluminum tank. It was easy to do, and everything was intuitive. You'll probably need new gasket strips for between the fuel tank and the brackets that hold it. I also put new hardware (bolts and nuts) when I swapped out the fuel tank.

Truck looks awesome sir! I'm stealing your air snorkel idea & just to be clear, you have done the A3 fuel tank swap correct?? If so, was it pretty simple to do? Thanks

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also put new hardware (bolts and nuts) when I swapped out the fuel tank.
Almost every time I do something on this truck I use new nuts/bolts. If the previous bolt was on anything that could move, it got bent and broke off when I removed it.

Flash

This thread just reminded me that I have a NOS air assist steering kit that I have been meaning to install for the past ten years.
Then I can install the 809 series steering wheel, and then the Deuce is perfect.

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.................................. and then the Deuce is perfect.
When I was a high school freshman in Mobile Alabama, circa late 60s, I came home one day with a note from school. After reading it, my mother said..."You're acting like a perfect idiot!!"
In a moment of insanity, I quickly replied..."Nobody's perfect!"
I regained consciousness in time for my fathers return home from work, when he continued the ass whipping my mother started just after 3pm.
Ahhhh....the good old days!

I'll get my upgrade list and pics up soon!

Jay

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm currently working on a 30 point checklist.

I'll summarize the top 13 modifications (in no particular order):
1. Mount 81g secondary fuel tank on driver's side - not sure about secondary fuel system or just tying it into the existing system yet
2. Change air intake to A3's
3. Change wiper to A3/HMMWV (I think they're the same) but one way or another I will move away from air wipers
4. Install secondary 12v electrical system
5. Air dryer
6. Back-up alarm
7. HMMTT seats
8. Lockouts on front axle
9. Replace all the gauges and add more on a secondary panel
10. No-idle HVAC system
11. Computer with 23" touchscreen that will connect to front/back cameras, navigation, stereo.
12. Change windshield/door glass to acrylic
13. Sound insulation
Of my 13 points above, #1 is mounted, but not hooked up, #'s 4, 5 & 8 are done, and I expect to have #7 & 11 done in a month or two. Since I made this list, I've also added air lockers and hope to have door locks by the end of the month. I've gotten some of the sound insulation installed, but because I'm putting so much stuff in the cab, I need to finish that so I don't end up ripping out what I put in.

I've also installed a sliding door in the back wall. For those that haven't read my other posts, I had the cab rebuilt and a opening next to the driver's seat, approx 2' x 20" (h x w).

I'm using a heavy duty container lock and using a backer plate because the skin of the doors is rather thin.
Mul-T-Lock-HASPLock-01.jpg
I've ordered the batteries for my powerwall. Decided to go with LiFePO4 battery. These batteries have more cycles than Li-Ion, but the trade off is usually cost, but they've been getting cheaper, and are also far more stable (re: safer) than Li-Ion.

And I've added another item to my list, not sure where, roof or back wall, but I'm gonna mount a lightsabre rack (with lightsabres)

Now my top 13 list looks like:
1. Exterior Door locks
2. HMMTT seats
3. change wipers to electric
4. change dash panel gauge plate, and add additional gauges above driver's seat (this additional panel is mounted, I just don't have anything in it, atm)
5. Finish building powerwall
6. No-idle HVAC (2 zone)
7. Have custom fuel tank made for bed (90 gal)
8. Back up alarm, security (aka, forward/reverse) cameras
9. Change glass to acrylic, make window shutters
10. Change air intake to A3, install blast gate emergency shut off.
11. Build camper (this has it's own checklist)
12. New paint
13. Sound insulation

I'm still thinking about changing the brakes to a dual system. Not sure if I can budget it for a while though.

Last edited:

exhogflyer

1) Jatonka spin on filters done
2) Trucklite LED headlamps aimed properly done
3) Arctic shift boots done
4) New brake hoses springtime
5) Remote brake fluid reservoir done
6) Door locks and steering wheel locks done
7) Smaller A3 size steering wheel done
8) Rhino line cab floor springtime
9) Correctly letter front bumper springtime
10) Quik Drain air tank valves done

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my Deuce and after all the mechanical work was completed I rhino lined the interior concentrating on the entire floor and up the back wall of the cab. Then I pulled the floor up over the transmission and installed FAT MATT between the floor and the trans etc. then I installed a block heater on the truck. The last was I relocated the entire heater system removing it from under the hood and re plumbing the entire system to inside the cab, it fits very nicely under the glove box and it produces at least twice the felt heat inside the truck cab!

peashooter

-Muffler
-clapper on top of exhaust
-keyed battery disconnect
-lockable door handles
-Spin on filters oil, fuel, & add a coolant one
-Replace the breather vents on axles, trans & xfer case.
-magnetic drain plugs on axles, trans & xfer case.
-ss braided brake hoses
-automatic air tank drain on the wet tank
-new cunifer brake lines

Grummanflyer

Jatonka Spin On Filters (Oil and Fuel) -------Done and now have instant oil pressure
Waterloo Power Steering--------------------- Done best thing I have done so far
24 to 12 Volt converter----------------------- Done
Under Dash 12 Volt Panel --------------------Done (cig lighter, volt meter, USB charging port x 2)
EGT -Boost-Pressure Gauge------------------Done ( amazing how that EGT climbs going up a hill)
License Plate Light----------------------------- In Progress (Done 3-20-20)
Upgrade heater and defroster -------------- -No parts yet
Window and door reseal -------------------- -Parts arrived
FDC bypass------------------------------------ Not yet
Remote brake fluid tank ----------------------Parts arrived

Here is the 12Volt Panel
20200105_114820.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks