• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top air tank seems to have blown...

madsam

Yesterday while I was just putsing around the yard, an air leak seems to have appeared. I can fill it, but not see it. It seems to be in the bottom of the top air tank. Has anyone else seen this? Is it a common problem?

I will tear apart the steps this weekend to look at the issue more.

madsam

I see how the lower tank is drained from water, but how is the upper tanks drained from water?

I have a parts truck coming that probably has those tanks. But I need my 816 to go get the parts truck.. (Theres a hole in my bucket...Or tank.) Maybe GL will let me pull the tanks first then come get the truck a week later.

madsam

I pulled mine off this weekend. the hole was from inside and not from the bands that hold them in. The bottom tank seems to get oil from the engine compressor, but the top tank is dry from oil and that is the one that rusted out from water.

I think the truck was parked a long time on an incline, so the water did not drain down to the bottom tank to exit the bleed valve. I wire brushed the old tank, and found another hole just wighting to pop. the mettle sounds thin too there. So that tank is done.. (Scrap.)

I took the bottom tank off too and wire wheeled the paint off to look at the same area. No holes and the mettle does not seem thin. I think the oil sloshing around in the tank kept it from rusting.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Tap the tank with a screw driver if there is ANY indication of a thin spot change both tanks. An air tank can BLOW OUT. Someone could get hurt.

madsam

I did tap both tanks to look for thin mettle. the top one is bad, and being replaced. the bottom one is good. I also used a sharp point of a knife to look for week spots. So no bad tank will be going back on the truck. Only good tanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks