• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

top speed for m1009

nighttrain2006

what is a safe highway speed for a m1009 and what rpm does it red line at?
this weekend im install a tach, temp, oil pressure, and volt gauges, has anyone else installed these ?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Not sure about the rpm stuff but as far as speed, I've definately had mine to atleast 90mph in a quasi emergent situation. Not recommended but possible. You need to make sure your suspension, brakes, and tires are in top shape to do it.

nighttrain2006

i was doing almost 80 on the highway last weekend and i honestly couldnt tell if i didnt glazens at the speedo. so i brought it down to 60 /65 mph. but its hard to keep mine at that speeed, i barly tough the gas and it just wants to go

HeadWizard

Re: RE: top speed for m1009

CARNAC said:
Not sure about the rpm stuff but as far as speed, I've definately had mine to atleast 90mph in a quasi emergent situation. Not recommended but possible. You need to make sure your suspension, brakes, and tires are in top shape to do it.
Ok, so I'm about to air my stupidity. I thought the CUCV's had some stupidly high gear ratio that did not allow it to "go fast". Please correct my misunderstanding.

Second to this discussion is the fact that I have the option to buy a M1009, provided I do so by 2 pm Thursday. I was high bidder, did not meet the reserve and it was offered to me for my bid price of $1025. It's a 1986, shows 11k miles, has working A/C, starts and runs, tires are junk, has a slave cable, a receiver hitch with a pintle insert, 2 front seats, nothing at all behind the seats, a rear mount swing out spare tire carrier, zero rust. GSA sale. I looked at it today.

Anyone's opinion?

Attachments

1stDeuce

So if you assume that fuel can be turned up to get max RPM out of the engine at full load (not likely w/o meltdown!) you can theoretically go 107 mph at 3600RPM!! More reasonable is that it'll pull 3000RPM, which equates to about 90mph. On 31's.

Headwizard, M1009 axle ratio is 3.08. You're thinking M1008, which have 4.56 gears.

3000 RPM in my M1008 only gets me a little over 60mph. :( Hopefully a 700R4 and some 33's will get me a little better cruising RPM... About 2100RPM at 65mph, which isn't too bad.

And I believe that most highways have "safe" speed limits posted, usually between 55 and 70mph. :) (A 1009 is just a chevy blazer, and there shouldn't be an issue with a blazer doing the speed limit.)
Chris

ida34

Re: RE: top speed for m1009

CARNAC said:
quasi emergent situation.
rofl :driver:

Do you know how fast the ticket would be written if some one gave me that excuse? Just kidding. I would give you a break as long as the vic-1 equipment continues to flow. :twisted:

As to the discussion, I have had mine going 70-75 for extended periods of time with no problem. It had more as it crept up to 80 in places if I was not paying attention.

Bobert

RE: Re: RE: top speed for m1009

You know you are getting old when you don't know how fast your vehicles will go. rofl

I've had mine going 85 before I took it on a long trip just to make sure it wouldn't explode. I had it on a handheld gps. My excuse is my speedometer is broken. I usually get pulled over for different reasons though.

We've gone 900 miles in one day at 70-75mph hours at a time. When we went 65 we only got 1.5 extra mpg.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I routinely hit 90 in ours trying to catch dead heading M915's since in 16th gear they could top a hundred. I always had my convoy commander signs on and blew through a number of speed traps without being chased except once in North Dakota where the Trooper matched my speed and told me to be careful on his PA.

maritimer

i have lined up the speedo needle with the middle of the odometer going down a back country dirt road for a total of 20 minutes, on the highway average it around 80mph