• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top Speed for unmodified CUCV?

glaser06

Please don't tell my GM trannies, past and present, that they were/are supposed to blow up when I use gears instead of brakes to regulate the speed. Especially when towing.
Haha, ok. They won't when used like 99% of people do, that's why they're such great transmissions! :D

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

3jumpjeep

Please don't tell my GM trannies, past and present, that they were/are supposed to blow up when I use gears instead of brakes to regulate the speed. Especially when towing.
Instead of brakes or with breaks? When you are traveling slow enough selecting a lower gear to regulate speed is different than down shifting to reduce speed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No breaks, yet. I tend to select gears relative to the speed I'm going, and load. That means downshifting in preparation for a downgrade, for example.
If a steep grade takes me by surprise, or I'm forced to slow down even more because of traffic, then I'll downshift to reduce speed.

To me, brakes are for when I screwed up, or someone else did and forced me to use mine. Otherwise I let the gears and engine maintain speed and leave the brakes alone - you never know when they can come in handy, and then I want them to work.
This was a habit of mine, but became more of a necessary way of thinking when I bought a Peterbilt.

3jumpjeep

No breaks, yet. I tend to select gears relative to the speed I'm going, and load. That means downshifting in preparation for a downgrade, for example.
If a steep grade takes me by surprise, or I'm forced to slow down even more because of traffic, then I'll downshift to reduce speed.

To me, brakes are for when I screwed up, or someone else did and forced me to use mine. Otherwise I let the gears and engine maintain speed and leave the brakes alone - you never know when they can come in handy, and then I want them to work.
This was a habit of mine, but became more of a necessary way of thinking when I bought a Peterbilt.
I understand downshifting. I own four registered motor vehicles. My CUCV is the only one with an automatic transmission.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand downshifting.
I thought I did, until buying that Pete. Used to drive a lot of vehicles without using the clutch (not always by choice) but keeping track of speed and rpm with an 18-speed was an entirely different experience, with or without the clutch.
It helped a lot when a friend explained what the two little knobbies on the shifter were for (range and splitter) and eventually I got the hang of it.
Anyway, it didn't take long to realize that it can be really tricky to downshift a non-synchro trans once the speed starts getting out of hand. True, the Jake brake helps immensely, but it can only do so much. It became obvious why tractor trailers were going so darn slow down grades - they have to. Using the brakes for controlling the speed really isn't an option, rather a last resort. My driving style has changed for the better since buying that Pete 19 years ago.

Automatics? They generally won't shift, up or down, if the correct parameters aren't met. Consequently, I pull the lever as needed. But obviously within reason, just like you have to do it with a stick.

3jumpjeep

I thought I did, until buying that Pete. Used to drive a lot of vehicles without using the clutch (not always by choice) but keeping track of speed and rpm with an 18-speed was an entirely different experience, with or without the clutch.
It helped a lot when a friend explained what the two little knobbies on the shifter were for (range and splitter) and eventually I got the hang of it.
Anyway, it didn't take long to realize that it can be really tricky to downshift a non-synchro trans once the speed starts getting out of hand. True, the Jake brake helps immensely, but it can only do so much. It became obvious why tractor trailers were going so darn slow down grades - they have to. Using the brakes for controlling the speed really isn't an option, rather a last resort. My driving style has changed for the better since buying that Pete 19 years ago.

Automatics? They generally won't shift, up or down, if the correct parameters aren't met. Consequently, I pull the lever as needed. But obviously within reason, just like you have to do it with a stick.
Non-synchro... That brings back memories. The same kind of memories as "single plane" brake systems.
Brakes adjust speed. Gear selection is used to control speed. The real trick is anticipating what's coming up so you don't have to change your speed when you get there because you're already where you want to be.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Non-synchro... That brings back memories. The same kind of memories as "single plane" brake systems.
Brakes adjust speed. Gear selection is used to control speed. The real trick is anticipating what's coming up so you don't have to change your speed when you get there because you're already where you want to be.
In reality, if one shifts correctly there would be no need for the synchros. But somewhat like rain sensing wipers and automatic headlights, we're no longer required to think while driving.
Single circuit brakes are fine...until they're not. Then you better fix the horn, just in case.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't this the cucv forum?

And wasn't the thread about top speed?

3jumpjeep

In reality, if one shifts correctly there would be no need for the synchros. But somewhat like rain sensing wipers and automatic headlights, we're no longer required to think while driving.
Single circuit brakes are fine...until they're not. Then you better fix the horn, just in case.
Yeah...The horn. I was one of three allowed to drive the old "cornbinder" fire engine way back when. It used to have synchronesh in 2-5. Actually fourth was still pretty good, but that's not much help. And really, the brakes only failed about every other month and then, of course, at precious moments. Double clutch much? Lol
I used to tell the new guys assigned to the old truck to pack extra underware in their gear bag "for the ride".

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like this smiley. I don't get the chance to use it very often, so here goes!!

:derailed:

To get it back on topic:
I run my M1009 at 60-65 MPH. Yes, I know it can go faster. Driving any faster than that empties the fuel tank at an alarming rate. CUCVs are as aerodynamic as cement blocks. On occasion, I've run it at 75-80 for short periods to get out of bad spots on the highway, but I back off quickly and I don't do that very often.

rsh4364

I run my re geared to 4.56 1009 at 65+mph everyday,with 32.8 tires I am spinning 3000 rpm.I have even ran it up to 83 mph once. I use GPS for speedometer and have a tachometer installed. Been doing it for 20k miles, still get 15-16 mpg.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks