• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

top speed m51 dump truck

Hooty481

Just wondering what the top speed of a m51 dump truck with 11.00's. my friend has one and he said that it will only run i think 36mph... i havent got a chance to look at it close but i was just wondering if this was normal. any ideas? cuss/discuss

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it smoke real bad too?

Pull the air intake tube off the turbo and see if it is stuck. Seen that before. If so, pull the top oil feed line and spray in some wd-40 or whatever and put a socket on the nut on the shaft, and gently break it free.

Hooty481

i'm not sure on the smoke. not even sure on what rpms he is turning. i was just wondering if it was normal for them to be that slow. he said on the dash it said max speed was 36. but i dont know... i will try that if its not the case.

vtdeucedriver

Multifuel 5 tons came with a direct drive 5th gear. 50 will be max at 2600 rpm. But last time I posted that info some fng with a deuce told me that I should do 60 and I had a fuel problem.

GTO Tiger

My son just bought a 1962 M51. It has the Continental R6602 gasser in it. The manual says it will do 57 max (going by memory, don't have it in front of me). 36 sounds like about the top speed in 5th gear LOW range. Is he sure he was in HIGH range?

I think the multifuel and diesel were listed at a couple of mph slower. Whatever engine he has, according to the manual he should be in the mid 50's in 5th gear HIGH range.

rlwm211

The differences in speed are due to the different characteristics of the Gas and Diesel engines.

From the Operator's TM

Max 2,800 rpm for gasoline; 2,600 rpm for multifuel; and 2,100 for diesel,

This would explain the MPH difference between the Gas version and the Diesel

Although hard to believe, 200 RPM in 5th can equal this much in terms of MPH.

I do not believe that either version will do 36 in Low Range.

RL

GTO Tiger

The differences in speed are due to the different characteristics of the Gas and Diesel engines.

From the Operator's TM

Max 2,800 rpm for gasoline; 2,600 rpm for multifuel; and 2,100 for diesel,

This would explain the MPH difference between the Gas version and the Diesel

Although hard to believe, 200 RPM in 5th can equal this much in terms of MPH.

I do not believe that either version will do 36 in Low Range.

RL
I believe you are correct about attaining 36mph in low range. I was just looking at the manual the other night. The chart in it shows the top speeds in each gear in each range. As I recall high range speeds were about double what low range speeds were and 26 or 28mph seems like what it showed for low range 5th gear.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Multifuel 5 tons came with a direct drive 5th gear. 50 will be max at 2600 rpm. But last time I posted that info some fng with a deuce told me that I should do 60 and I had a fuel problem.
To echo what VTDEUCEDRIVER said, I had an M543A2 with the direct drive transmission (no overdrive) and I was only able to go about 46 mph without really stressing the truck. The direct drive transmission leads to slower road speeds, but I like it better than the overdrive transmission as I think you have much better power through all gears.

crazyman

top speed

top speed. according to the tag it does 56mph 5Th gear high range at red line. I didn't push it at the time but I topped at out about 42.

M813A1

He might check the Fuel filters sometime if they get clogged up it will slow the truck down . Also the turbo may be going out and it is not delivering the correct pressure into the engine so check the air filter too it may be clogging up !!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
He might check the Fuel filters sometime if they get clogged up it will slow the truck down . Also the turbo may be going out and it is not delivering the correct pressure into the engine so check the air filter too it may be clogging up !!
WE are talking a GASSER (no tubo, no OD trans) which a M51 is, empty with 1100s, at tack should get 59 mph, this is according to tm9-2320-211-10, page 1-5, table 1-3,

Same table shows 52 mph for the A1/2

Last edited:

M813A1

Also check the tire pressure if you air them up to the Highway pressure it will give you a bit more spped then if they are set atthe cross country pressure !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks