• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

top speed

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
is it an A2 variant or an ECV truck?

According to the manuals, an A2/M1123 truck (non turbo 6.5 with 2.73 gearing) has a sustained top speed of 78mph.
An ECV/REV truck with turbo 6.5 and 3.08 gearing has a top sustained speed of 70mph.

Early trucks with the 3 speed transmission had a sustained top speed of 55mph.

Notice I'm saying "sustained top speed" and not just "top speed"
The trucks can go faster than those speeds, but it's definitely NOT recommended. Especially the 3 speed trucks; they have heat soak issues with the rear cylinders of the engine, and can destroy the engine if driven too fast/too much load for too long of a time. a 2001 truck SHOULD (no guarantees with these things) have a GEP 6.5 with better metallurgy that is much better, but as I said, no guarantees.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the A2 is faster than the turbo REV truck which has 30 more hp?
Speed and horsepower are apples and oranges. Speed is about distance over time. Horsepower is about Force over time. Horsepower will allow faster acceleration but gearing ultimately decides top end speed.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speed and horsepower are apples and oranges. Speed is about distance over time. Horsepower is about Force over time. Horsepower will allow faster acceleration but gearing ultimately decides top end speed.
Not at all true,,,,
You can have all the gears you want but if you do not have the horsepower there will be no speed just bog.
Otherwise we could set world speed records with lawn mower engines, it takes horsepower to go fast, that is why as aerodynamic as a Bugatti is it still takes 1000HP to push it to 250MPH, Interestingly only 500HP to push it to 200MPH, they say transitioning from 200 to 250MPH is like transitioning from pushing the vehicle through air to pushing it through water.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change your diff gears to 2.56. I think pulling a thousand pound house in a thousand pound trailer that will act like a sail would make 70MPH unrealistic in a HMMWV with stock tires. Swapping to 40” might help.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not at all true,,,,
You can have all the gears you want but if you do not have the horsepower there will be no speed just bog.
Otherwise we could set world speed records with lawn mower engines, it takes horsepower to go fast, that is why as aerodynamic as a Bugatti is it still takes 1000HP to push it to 250MPH, Interestingly only 500HP to push it to 200MPH, they say transitioning from 200 to 250MPH is like transitioning from pushing the vehicle through air to pushing it through water.
Sorry Mog, BUT ultimate speed is limited by ultimate engine RPM and gearing. Yes, you need some horsepower to push, BUT in our vehicles it has to do with gearing not HP.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
AS I said, it is a 2001. So it would have a 6.5 4 speed. I want it to pull a horse trailer and go about 70 mph... How many Humvees had turbo's ?
Can it do 70? Sure. Can it do that towing? It might be able to get UP to that speed towing. But it's not going to be happy doing it. And your wallet isn't going to be happy trying to do it with diesel being $5 a gallon or more. You'd be better served with a civilian truck than what you're trying to do.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change your diff gears to 2.56. I think pulling a thousand pound house in a thousand pound trailer that will act like a sail would make 70MPH unrealistic in a HMMWV with stock tires. Swapping to 40” might help.
Swapping to 2.56 gears will make it worse, you can in theory go faster but that Detroit ain't got the guts to pull a horse trailer

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry Mog, BUT ultimate speed is limited by ultimate engine RPM and gearing. Yes, you need some horsepower to push, BUT in our vehicles it has to do with gearing not HP.
Its got EVERYTHING to do with power and the Detroit just does not have it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks