• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

top speed

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, how many of these had turbo's in the 90's. ??
Bunches have turbos, they are the ECV and the REV. that measly 30 more HP is not allot of help.
Have you ever driven a HMMWV? If not try to find one and drive it, I suspect you will give up any hope of pulling a horse trailer at highway speeds

springer1981

AS I said, it is a 2001. So it would have a 6.5 4 speed. I want it to pull a horse trailer and go about 70 mph... How many Humvees had turbo's ?
I think you are looking at the wrong vehicle for what you want. Let's assume you could do all you want with a Humvee, it's still an Aluminum can with little to no safety features. In an accident I rather be in a Hyundai or a Kia and that isn't saying a lot. Even if you could do 70 mph on the highway and tow with it, that is close to or at Max speed. Max speed is also max fuel consumption. No vehicles are designed to run at max reliably.

Do I love my Humvee? Yes.
Would I daily drive it? No.
Is it a Practical vehicle? Not at all.
Does it get a reasonable fuel mileage? No
Is it safe enough for regular highway driving? You decide, it's your life.

Do a search and you'll find plenty of pictures and stories like this...

hmmwv.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want to be able to tow a heavy, high wind load at high speeds...
I'll second the "you need to find a different vehicle.

HMMWV with it's independent rear suspension is going to get pushed around more by a trailer than in a solid rear axle civilian truck.

For reference though, my M1123 4 speed non-turbo truck, with a BEOD installed on it and towing a generator trailer, for a combined gross weight of 13,500 lbs, maxed out at 67mph on the highway, on perfectly level ground.
No way I'd manage to do over 60 on an uphill slope like that, and I was burning a lot more fuel than when I keep it at 55mph.
The truck itself was 9500 lbs of that, and the trailer 4k lbs.

I've towed heavier without the BEOD installed, but I also still have the heavy armor springs that were part of the Marine Armor Kit installed, so my suspension is a LOT stiffer than the average truck.

As far as I know, there is only one 2" receiver hitch out there for the HMMWV rated for more than the 4200 lbs that the military rates these trucks to tow. That's from Federal Military parts, and they call it a 10k hitch. Whether it's actually been tested/certified for that, I have no idea.

Again, I seriously advise against towing heavy loads, especially loads that could shift on you while driving. The HMMWV suspension just isn't designed for it.

Gamble

I think you are looking at the wrong vehicle for what you want. Let's assume you could do all you want with a Humvee, it's still an Aluminum can with little to no safety features. In an accident I rather be in a Hyundai or a Kia and that isn't saying a lot. Even if you could do 70 mph on the highway and tow with it, that is close to or at Max speed. Max speed is also max fuel consumption. No vehicles are designed to run at max reliably.

View attachment 887644
Holy Shit. That's an armored ECV/REV HMMWV folded like a coke can. Anyone know what hit it? Would have thought the steel armor skeleton would have held up better than this.

Very eye opening.

AAVP7

I am getting an a/c ambulance type. So I have a mini camper !!
I own an M997 ambulance, and also a slantback. Both weigh about the same, around 3.2 tons, and have the same engines, trannys, etc..
The ambulance has significantly lower top speed, and especially less acceleration at higher speeds. While the slantback for overtaking a truck on the Autobahn easily goes from 55 to 75 in a few seconds, the ambulance takes ages for that, due to the much bigger frontal area (=wind resistance).

Also, since the ambulance body is hanging over the rear end of the truck, towing with the normal towing hook is very iffy, and I would say not safely possible. Too tight a corner, and the trailer hits the ambu body. There are towing relocation kits available that put the towing hook rearward, but that would completely block the use of the rear steps of the ambulance body. And trust me, you don´t want to crawl from the front into the anbu body every time.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 887644
SANITY SPEAKS, dead on!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the major disconnect here is the fact that Humvees look cool, but they are meant for the military. The military formations run at 40 mph. They are not looking for high speed unless you get one of the rare vehicles with a Rod Hall suspension and drivetrain. Even then, pulling a horse trailer behind a vehicle with the equivalent of between five and 6 to 1 gear ratio makes driving at 70 mph unrealistic. I would suggest you buy a purpose built vehicle if that is what you are looking for because a Humvee is not for you, with all due respect.

Wow 70mph, I haven't even tried to get my M1097a2 above 50 yet, didn't think they could go much faster, not that I'm looking for a race car, just something to keep up with WW2 Dodge WC51 with BenHur trailer when driving in convoy LOL.
I understand the M1097a2 had different gearing and HD axles for load capacity does this effect the top speeds mentioned previously??

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow 70mph, I haven't even tried to get my M1097a2 above 50 yet, didn't think they could go much faster, not that I'm looking for a race car, just something to keep up with WW2 Dodge WC51 with BenHur trailer when driving in convoy LOL.
I understand the M1097a2 had different gearing and HD axles for load capacity does this effect the top speeds mentioned previously??
1097A2 has the same gearing as all the rest of the A2 series trucks.
The M1123 is basically identical but for the rear bumper, and mine I've hit 77mph, and as others have stated, it will go faster.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks