• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque Converter Question

Nowhereman

Hey Y'all , My 5/4 (M1008) is in process of having the transmission rebuilt, I want to replace the torque converter and was wandering if anyone could recommend a good (not a real expensive) torque converter that is close to the original. I also will be adding an additional trans cooler. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some TCs for sale in the classifieds. GM original units. 6 bolts compared to the 3 bolt that is sold elsewhere.

I'll be sending some to the GA rally next week. The SS Delivery Network should be able to get it to your area.

Last edited:

Nowhereman

Hey Warthog thanks for the reply, I'm looking for a new or a rebuilt torque converter. I still have my old one but when the transmission took a dive it had a lot of burnt trans fluid and residue in the pan. I want to have everything freshly rebuilt so I "hopefully" want have to repeat this process again for at least another 30 years. "If those new 2014 trucks hold up as long as my 5/4 I will be Impressed".

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a bunch of units available on fleabay and other sites. You have to be sure you are getting a diesel version with a low stall speed. You may want to shop around and see what the prices are.

The original GM part number is 8656942.

It is always a good idea to have the TC serviced or replaced whenever you rebuild a transmission.

The ones I have have been rebuilt and where sold to the government.

Last edited:

Skinny

Nothing really special to a TH400 non-lockup converter. As long as all the fins are in good shape, the only serviceable part is the sprag bearing. Any good tranny shop could flush it for you.

Ilikemtb999

I ordered a stock replacement torque converter from oreilly. It was around $90 and feels just like the original it replaced. Unfortunately their site is down so I can't get the part number.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks