• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque multiplier wrench for lugnuts?

Ronmar

Is a torque multiplier wrench something that would work for a tirechange kit? Something like this: https://tinyurl.com/y9s65x9b
Considering the alternative is a massive pneumatic driver with gladhand adapters…
Yep, got one just like it at home. The multiplication works both ways, so make sure you spin it the right way for the threads you are trying to loosen, and dont overtighten them when putting tgem back on. There is no substitute for delivering the proper torque(torque wrench or meter) and lever when tightening the lugs...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If its like the ones ive been around they were all 4 to 1 multipliers and the only time they got drug out was to remove track bolts on heavy equipment cause nothing else would budge em so know you could really trash those stud out and stretch them to not be safe so while your sitting around with nothing to do go break all your nut loose (one at a time) and paint anti seize on all the studs now so you will never need to tote the multiplier with you on trips ! just a 3/4 ratchet and a socket that fits your ride !

Ronmar

4:1… the one I have is 63:1. That means 7.1ft/lb on the wrench =450ft/lb on the socket, minus gear losses of course. Thats why I cautioned about cranking it the right direction, you could do some damage with one of these… I think I would actually prefer a 4 or 5:1…:)

ToddJK

I have one and it beats having a pipe as a cheater bar when you don't have that pipe or when your buddy borrows it and doesn't bring it back, lol. It's a useful tool as long as you use it carefully as others stated. I won't however recommend it to put the lug nuts back on to tighten down, either use a good breaker bar or a suitable torque wrench.

87cr250r

Don't forget to get the busting strength is much bigger than the unbusting strength on impact wrenches. I suggest observing the amount of rotation required to loosen a properly torqued fastener and observing this rotation when tightening by impact.

With heavy duty diesel engines a lot of critical fasteners have moved to impact wrench tightening. For example, the cylinder head bolts on a Caterpillar 3500 series engine used to be 420 ftlbs but the preferred method today is 150 ftlbs plus 180 degrees. The method is tolerant enough that torque angle gauges are not necessary, a paint pen on the socket is sufficient.

Also, impact wrenches don't work well on long fasteners.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one and it beats having a pipe as a cheater bar when you don't have that pipe or when your buddy borrows it and doesn't bring it back, lol. It's a useful tool as long as you use it carefully as others stated. I won't however recommend it to put the lug nuts back on to tighten down, either use a good breaker bar or a suitable torque wrench.
I agree, they are to be used to break the nut FREE, not to tighten to spec.

coachgeo

there is numerous threads in here on this. Searching them out and reviewing them will give you some hints on the needed socket sizes. This will help lead you to buying a kit that happens to include all or most of the socket sizes you need. Usually I think there are three sockets in the kits.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks