• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque rods

FreightTrain

Banned
How hard is it to press the old torque rod ends out and install new ones?Any tricks I should know about?Proper way to torque the nuts down when installing?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
this is a good time to remind everybody to keep a eye on all 6 torque rods, nobody wants a rolled axle and the damage that goes with it like no brakes, ect and the fun if it happens going down the road far away from home

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
most of the deuce part suppliers have both the complet rod and the ends. i got my touque rods from white owl, but all the suppliers have them

George

most of the rods have one side of each hole chamfered to help the new end line up and start in the hole. It is not much of an angled edge but that little bit of machining will help a bunch. It is probably obvious, but don't just push on the center of the new bushing. Use a plate or heavy piece of flat iron to distribute the force to the outer edge of the new bushing. Unless you have a jig made, getting the old part out of the rod can be aggravating as well.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
73m819 said:
change out both rods, then rebuild the old ones
I guess the Q was more how to get those ends (pics) out of their brackets without disassembling everything and take it to a press.
I've always been lucky with WD40 or similar and a big hammer or better two, to hold against the opposite side. Best if tires/wheels are off. Loosen the nut and leave it on to protect the tread. Strike the bracket laterally, than the nut (with a piece of brass in btw.), alternatively. If the big hammer doesn't do it get a bigger one. It will come loose, it just needs enough energy and patience!

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
had to cut the nuts off mine, could have saved the treads if i had to, but was replacing the whole rod anyway so no big deal

spicergear

I tried to change out my upper ones and busted a breaker bar, extension, and socket. Will use heat next time and hopefully not have to take off spring pack. :(

OpieNoTool

BFH they should break loose and pop right out! Rember to leave the nut half way on so you don't peene it over. iv changed all mine that way never had an issue [thumbzup]

JDToumanian

Do new bushings come with new nuts? Since the threads are part of the bushing (which is going to be replaced), I wouldn't think it would matter if they got "peened over"... Better that than to ruin the nut by hammering on it.

Jon

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a BIG hammer on it, if you are going to reuse the other end, a BIG brass drift and a BIG hammer

i for one would not reuse the other end but put a new or totaly rebuilt one in , then totaly rebuild the old one

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
on my m52 gasser, i jacked the frame up and the rear down for the clearence, on the 819 the walking beam had to go

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks