• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torsen differential locking tips and tricks

Glider

I've read a fair amount about the torsen differential. There doesn't seem to be much info about how to actually use/manipulate the locking function. Pretty much all I have seen is hold the brake to make it lock but in practice it has been hit or miss for me. If you start watching the video at 9:00 the H1 starts jumping is that how the diff is meant to work?

If you are familiar with the differential and can make it lock with reliability I would love to know the method. Do you need to be in high lock or low lock with the t case Also if there are maintenance items that could make locking difficult that would be great to know about also.

Any input appreciated!

jrtoffroad

I don't have the ability to see your video right now, but I'll make a couple comments.

BTM is best used in Low-lock. This will provide the most torque to overcome the applied brake resistance. You can use it in High-lock (or even high), but if your conquering an obstacle requiring differential locking it would probably be best to be in low anyways.

Only use as much brake as you need. The brake assist on the HMMWV is very powerful, it's easy to slam the brakes too hard and end up struggling to overcome the brake force to keep any forward motion. Apply light brake pressure and then dial in throttle until the tires begin to turn. If only 1 still turns, apply a little more brake then add more throttle input. As you learn the technique it might be a little cumbersome, but it won't take long for it to come naturally.

It is harder to properly 'lock' the rear diff, especially if your making a climb and most of the weight has transferred rearward. Most of the braking is done by the front axle, due to built in front brake bias the rear will not receive as much pressure. So, to lock the rear you'll have to be more aggressive with the brake application, which I'm not a fan of as it puts a lot more stress on everything. For this reason I went away from my rear torsen and installed a detroit locker. Personally I think a rear detroit and front torsen is awesome. VERY seldom do I need to use BTM and when I do, it takes very little pedal application as I'm only trying to apply the front.

Probably stating the obvious, but of course with a torsen diff the axle is never actually locked. It's just a very good limited slip that can allow both tires to turn in almost any situation with correct BTM application.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks