• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Total brake failure during a panic stop

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dug through my receipts for you. I apologize if I've omitted something, or if I have included unnecessary items, as I was doing my front axle boots at the same time. I purchased parts with multiple purchases from multiple sources, so this MAY or MAY NOT be ACCURATE with prices you find now.

Here's what I found on my reciepts:
NumberPartPrice
11/4" Cu-Ni Line61.99
121/4" Tube Nuts7.98
15/16" Cu-Ni Line62.46
85/16" Tube Nuts3.52
15/16" Union -Needed because I messed up2.99
25/16" Tube Nuts2.99
6Wheel Cylinder124.50
4Outer Hub Seal12.00
6Inner Hub Seal14.50
6Wheel Cylinder Rebuild Kit31.00
6Large Banjo Washers2.00
6Smaller Banjo Washers2.00
6Tab Lock Spindle Nut5.85
6Axle Flange Gasket2.50
1Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit28.50
1New Master Cylinder67.35
1Air Pack Rebuild Kit80.00
5Flex Lines265.00
TOTAL777.13

Naturally, it can't be a complete 100% guarantee, but should greatly decrease the odds that it will fail - we cannot ever rule out manufacturing defects in parts.

I started out thinking I would just do part of the system, but did not want to take the chance of leaving something to fail due to age. I did the whole system for that comfort of knowing that I removed the weak link(s) to the best of my ability.
That is awesome! Thanks you so much for the list! That price isn't bad for some peace of mind (when matched with vigilance).

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does this app work ? Does the phone have a built in motion sensor ? I don't know if I would trust it to give me an accurate measurement of actual "G" force .
The app gets specific location info by locking to a minimum of 5 GPS satellites so it knows right where it is. It also has an accelerometer (my phone has 16-different sensors on it, including a gravity sensor). So then it's just measuring precise location changes over time. That is all it needs to calculate the vehicle's rate of acceleration, deceleration, & lateral G forces.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't sweat it too much. But I do make it a point to look for things that are wrong and fix them as I find them. Check my brakes and fluid before I go anywhere.
That's why I installed the remote reservoir; I know at some point I'd be in a hurry and not check, and something bad happen.
It's all about managing the risk.
You definitely can't treat one of these trucks like you would a modern vehicle and just jump in and drive it.

I drive mine several times a week, too. From all I see, problems seem to crop up most when they sit.
I've seen one of those remote brake fluid reservoirs on a deuce. Where can I get one? Do you just fish the hose down to where you check the fluid level under the cab floor & just clamp it down over the top of that or is there more involved?

I've seen one of those remote brake fluid reservoirs on a deuce. Where can I get one? Do you just fish the hose down to where you check the fluid level under the cab floor & just clamp it down over the top of that or is there more involved?
Yeah pretty much.
Cap off the vent tube, install a 90 barbed fitting where the vent in the cap went, mount the reservoir somewhere, drill a hole, and run the hose.
Easiest mod you will probably ever do.

I ended up buying a kit from real custom trucks. After pricing everything out if I rounded up the parts myself and paying shipping on several different items, the extra 5 bucks or so for the kit was worth it to me for the convenience.
Someone here made their own from some PVC. I can't remember what they did for venting though. The reservoir needs to be able to handle that, whether it's a vented cap or some other means.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I ended up buying a kit from real custom trucks. After pricing everything out if I rounded up the parts myself and paying shipping on several different items, the extra 5 bucks or so for the kit was worth it to me for the convenience.

They have helped me out in the past, good folks to deal with!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks