• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Total destruction of all End-Use items (end of trucks???)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All this is a statement of what HAS happened (which we all know already) and a statement of "IF things dont change, all will be OK"

Im glad the MVPA looked into this, but this really doesnt tell us anything as to the future. Which, admittedly, no one can predict, but this seems to be a "feel good" letter... Edited to add. The Feels good part is meant to jerk people arround, and say "all is OK, see?" I have my doubts..

Last edited:

Michael

Yes, we got an answer of sorts. The short version is, the government caught people exporting F14 parts to Iran, got upset and made a big to do over it. They came up with IC codes to determines the validity of the DEMIL code. Ninety nine percent of the stuff we want to collect was given a IC3 which means they thought the demil code was invalid and should have been C (destroyed). Someone higher up said thats crazy and we are going to keep releaseing a list of common stuff the way we always have. What is unclear is which IC3 stuff can be sold and which can't. We the public can no longer look it up. There is now a secret list of stuff that is exempt from total mutilation. In the futrue how are we going to know that something has been moved from one list to another?

surpdlr

Demil Issues / end of sales/ whatever you wnat to call it

So I guess then that the concerns raised in this thread are no longer valid????:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/14140-gl-confiscation-letter-demil-code-change-letter.html#post137501

Oh wait, this was happening before the "Spring/Summer 2008" date referenced above and by the MVPA. I started the above thread in Sep 2007..... Heck, I started this thread in Nov 2007!
Over 1 year before the time frame listed in the MVPA letter parts were caught up in this Demil problem. As I have said before, I think it is just a compliance check, leading up to bigger things.
Don’t forget your truck is 13,500lbs give or take of scrap iron when it won’t run or move due to a lack of spare parts!! If a commercially available Caterpillar diesel engine oil pump is a problem, then an oil pump for a Tactical Military Vehicle must be a bigger problem to somebody...
Anybody who thinks this problem is over is confused! I would very much like to hear a response to that fact! Over 1 year before the time frame listed parts were already caught up in this Demil problem.

davesbf

i've been buying surplus since 1966,the powers to be are holding all the cards.there is a turn over of power holders every several years,who can tell what stroke of the pen will change a line item that affects our hobby,just because the rules today say 1 thing doesn't mean they will stay that way,just ask my inventory sheet that is short by $10,000 that DOD demanded back as restricted items.we have to ride out the stormy weather and hope that cooler minds will prevail in the future.:cry:

Michael

There is no doubt that certain people have been opposed to the release of military surplus for a long time. They are probably still working to see to it that none of it is released. What is troubling now is that on record, most of it is to be mutilated. Almost everything I have looked up is Q3. But they continue to release the high profile trucks that we all want even though they are listed as Q3. What worries me is what are they not releasing that is Q3. There is no way to know, therefore no way to complain. It will go quietly to the scrap mill.

FreightTrain

Banned
The fight is NOT over just cause they said that they will sell the truck.The fight is over when they change the code back to mutilate overseas or no-Mutilation required anywhere.As long as it is in the books as a 3,they can say tough,we are cutting them up or they gotta be distroyed by the buyer.

surpdlr

The fight is NOT over just cause they said that they will sell the truck.The fight is over when they change the code back to mutilate overseas or no-Mutilation required anywhere.As long as it is in the books as a 3,they can say tough,we are cutting them up or they gotta be distroyed by the buyer.
The above statement is very true!!!

Somebody (The MVPA???) may want to get answers as to why the following two lots require mutilation....

6.2L HMMV Engines @ Limestone, ME at Government Liquidation

6.2 engines are a real problem!!

0001 - Uncategorized at Government Liquidation

And steel cargo beds, a real threat to National Security!!!!

Trust Me, our vehicles WILL be next!!!!!!

dittle

I love the engine pictures.....they have to be mutilated but they still covered some of them with plastic for rain protection.....:roll:

Loose Deuce

Have to keep a sharp eye out for this kind of stuff, They like to slip things through before the public can react. :wink: I do know the once fired Military Brass ban got reversed quickly If the letter I saw is correct. Its hard to be sure of anything now days.:evil:

dcwilkie

Hmmmm

The above statement is very true!!!

Somebody (The MVPA???) may want to get answers as to why the following two lots require mutilation....

6.2L HMMV Engines @ Limestone, ME at Government Liquidation

6.2 engines are a real problem!!

0001 - Uncategorized at Government Liquidation

And steel cargo beds, a real threat to National Security!!!!

Trust Me, our vehicles WILL be next!!!!!!

So... if no one bids on them, they just sit there? Maybe that's the key- stop buying until they are convinced mutilation is unnecessary. :idea:

dcwilkie

So what's the difference if they scrap them or if we are forced to scrap them? I don't relish the idea of hauling off a bunch of scrap. Not my idea of fun at all. I even changed my mind about scrapping my extra M105A2 trailers. Too much trouble.:hammer:

dcwilkie

I've heard if items go up for auction and gets no bids twice, items are hauled off as scrap.
I have proof to refute the scrapping theory. This is the third time a particular M35A2 W/W has been offered at Redstone Arsenal and it's DEFINITELY a piece of junk.

The problem of course is there will always be that one person who will not pass up a chance to score cheap military surplus from GL no matter what we're tryng to do for the hobby. Getting everyone to boycott GL would be like trying to keep a thirsty man from drinking.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, Please edit your post. It's a big no-no to post links to active auctions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks