• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

totally stumped on starting issue.

builderboy

Ok, on labor day weekend I found my truck witht he battery switch on. Best guess is either myself or where I park it someone left it on by accident. Batteries where toast and over six years old. I decided to purchase four new orginial batteries. Fast forward to yesterday. Took one battery out at a time and put one battery back. Went to start the truck and it started right up. Ran out of daylight and supper was ready. Boy, I couldn't wait to get it home to tinker on.

Now the problem/questions. Went to start it a little before noon its about 45 to 50 degrees outside. start to crank the engine... and I crank it... and crank it. I usually crank it for 3 to 4 seconds on each crank " cycle" when I go for the fourth "crank" cycle and it won't crank. It just ticks every time I try and start it.

I then take every terminal off the batteries one by one. open them up clean them and retighten. I also retightened every bolt that connects the wires to the terminals. I then retightened the bolts on the starter. It still does the same thing.

The black box on the fire wall clicks very loud every time it tries to start also.

The truck always starts even if it has set for a month on the second crank " cycle" Always, always always. It even started on the second crank when I picked it up from GL

Couple of questions?

Could it be that on of my battery cables is bad? The short cable that connects one neg to the other positive ( about 8 to 10 inches long) was very warm after I had the truck cranking.

Could I have totally missed a loose terminal?

Could it be the black box wasn't allowing it to start and then just finally laid down?

Wildcards, Am I totally missing what could be wrong?:idea:

I appreciate any and all ideas.

Builderboy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If one cable was hotter than the rest, I'd replace it first.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, after reading is it cranking and cranking now or just clicking. I can't tell from your post.

Disconnect at least one side of each battery and put a battery load tester on each on to make sure they are okay. I have the one from Harbor Freight and it works great and has found every marginal battery for me. Bad or weak battery change it out or charge each one individually up to the same point. When done put it back together.

If it is still clicking check voltage at the starter and if low disconnect batteries and clean all the terminals on the starter and try again.

It maybe the engine control box has gone bad.

If it is cranking then start looking for a fuel problem. Check to see if you have fuel at the closest point to the IP, if none work back towards the tank. Filters changes lately or ever?

In my case today with my backhoe some dumbazz didn't put any fuel in it. (Me)

builderboy

It is just clicking now.... after cranking and cranking. I didn't get the volt meter out today because I was... well frustrated. I even had a thinking beer and will attack it again in the morning.

I don't know if I cranked it long enough to have a fuel problem. cranked for a total of about 12 to 15 seconds. the truck always starts before then. It even started yesterday. Now it just clicks.

crasheej

See if you get anything past thr control box. If so check the starter. Mine stated one day but not the next. Had to get a new starter. Aren't these trucks fun when things go wrong?

ar

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get you a good remote starter switch and go from hot on starter and the the trip lead on the starter and see if she cranks ok that way. Load testers good fire bad

Last edited:

builderboy

brand new batteries both sets give out about 25.44 volts and yess I have checked each battery seperatley. The voltage is good that way also.

thanks

builderboy

got it running !!! Is everyone else but me aware there are more than one style of solenoid on the starters? Heck there is even more than one style of starter! It has never started so fast!!!

BAZYRKYR

well, worked on it today for about two hours. believe it's either a starter, or the dreaded black box.
I seem to be having similar troubles to yours. What is this Black Box?????? Please tell me what...and where...that is. Also, where's the fuel switch is? Somebody told me I may have accidentally hit the fuel switch but if its not near the batteries or inside the cab I don't see how it happened. In any case...I really need to get this thing running and I don't know s h i t about these trucks so any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks